Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Internal and External Together...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you NEED the Internal & External Drives to work Together ??? (189 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you NEED the Internal & External Drives to work Together ???

1. YES I NEED & Want both together for The Extra Recording Space (142 votes [75.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.13%

2. External hard Drive is enough for me (8 votes [4.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

3. Extra space would be nice, But not that important to me (32 votes [16.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.93%

4. 300GB space is more then enough (7 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote

#21 OFFLINE   fakdd

fakdd

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

there is an article in pcmag that is talking about equipment with this getting activated. it is in the august edition under 10 things to make your pc better.
it is talking about the cable boxes but it should be the same just about.

#22 OFFLINE   Jim B

Jim B

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

It does know because it decides to use the external drive instead of the internal. But everything works the same with just more hard drive space.

I'm just catching up with the external drive thing now that I'm down to 15%, going to the beach for a week, and worrying about what I'll loose this week......

So, I can go out and buy a drive 2 or 3 times bigger than the internal drive, and the HR20 will use it, but completely ignore the internal drive? And it keeps the internal drive running? So, why the waste of the internal drive? Doesn't DTV partition the drive anyway to split the "my vod" and the "showcase," like they did/do on the R15, so that half the drive is not used to start with?
Yes, that really is a 65 lb Airedale Terrier sleeping on my chest!!!

My Setup:
1) Slimline Dish; HR20-100; Belkin UPS with AVR for HR20, DVD & Plasma
2) HDMI to Panasonic 42" Plasma (600u); Native ON
3) Panasonic DVD Burner - HDMI to Panny (and s-video in from HR-20)
3) R15 to 27" Samsung Digital Slimfit in bedroom (really good pic with s-video!)

#23 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

I'm just catching up with the external drive thing now that I'm down to 15%, going to the beach for a week, and worrying about what I'll loose this week......

So, I can go out and buy a drive 2 or 3 times bigger than the internal drive, and the HR20 will use it, but completely ignore the internal drive? And it keeps the internal drive running? So, why the waste of the internal drive? Doesn't DTV partition the drive anyway to split the "my vod" and the "showcase," like they did/do on the R15, so that half the drive is not used to start with?

The space DIRECTV uses on the internal drive they will use on the external drive if you hook one up. They may change it down the road so you can use both but they have not said.

#24 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:47 PM

What kills me about this poll is noone NEEDS both drives. Want is the only option that makes sense. This is tv for goodness sakes. If you cant store enough tv in a RAID 0 enclosure with two 500 or 750GB drives, when are you ever going to watch it all?

#25 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

What kills me about this poll is noone NEEDS both drives. Want is the only option that makes sense. This is tv for goodness sakes. If you cant store enough tv in a RAID 0 enclosure with two 500 or 750GB drives, when are you ever going to watch it all?

Wow.

If this is "just tv" as you say then why are you on this website? Shouldn't you be doing something other than reading up on "just tv" stuff? :rolleyes: When my wife was pregnant and also when our son was younger we spent a lot of time at home and watched more tv than we ever have. We have cut down on the amount we watch now. I'm sure there are other reasons why other people watch a lot of tv.

And for the record, I'm still using the internal drive. But I am looking at getting a 500 gb because we are going to try to catchup on Smallville this year since we are a year behind from watching on HDNet which comes out to about 22 episodes.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#26 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

It kills you?
Actually, no one needs a DVR...or a TV. Let's just shut it all down.
If this topic is so devastating to your health perhaps you should have just skipped it.
We really need to go back to 64K of RAM in computers too...who needs all that extra memory?

#27 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,680 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:43 AM

We really need to go back to 64K of RAM in computers too...who needs all that extra memory?

:rolleyes: 64k? Yeah .... look at the braggart! My Commodore VIC-20 had 5k of memory, only 3.5k available for the user, and I got by!

;) :P Typed in jest of course! :)

#28 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

:rolleyes: 64k? Yeah .... look at the braggart! My Commodore VIC-20 had 5k of memory, only 3.5k available for the user, and I got by!

;) :P Typed in jest of course! :)

When I bought my 64 (upgrade from a Timex Sinclair) I got a modem too...what a huge mistake that was ;)

#29 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

Recorded a HD Movie last night now my Recording space left is Under 20%
:(
My personal DVR Collection... (Addiction) :D
-----------------------------
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-700's (1TB & 750GB E-SATA )
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

5-Harmony 676's (Best DVR Remote)
1-5lnb Slimline
1-Zinwell 6x16 Powered Ka-Ku Multswitch's
2-Zinwell Cascaded 6x8 Multiswitch's
1-Channel Master 4221 OTA
------------------------------------

Directv Since Cablevision Yankees/YES Fiasco

#30 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

As of 5:25 pm 7/24/07

74.11% want the Hard drives combined ASAP

I find it hard to believe Only 112 HR20 Users have voted on this Poll

Wow you would think with All the New HD coming in September More people would want this option!
The hard drives are going to be filling up much faster!!

Directv combining the hard drives together will benefit Everybody!!

Come on Members.. Vote and Post your Comments!!!
:)
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

1-5lnb Slimline

#31 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

I voted the closest I could find to "whatever floats your boat". I see problems with trying to get both drives to work together when one is removable. eSata enclosures are only going to get cheaper, so just get the biggest you can.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#32 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

My quandary with the 1st choice was wording using NEED. I could not choose that option if I was going to vote honestly. Not one person NEEDS that disk space. Everyone wants it.

The poster discussing the issues about how to incorporate combining the internal and external together makes an excellent point. Using current technology, it seems the only way for this to work is when you hook up the external drive, it would have to wipe out all material on both drives to create an LVM, so you couldnt just fill an external drive, and hook up another one on the fly, it would have to completely wipe out the data on the internal drive again everytime you decided to mate it with a different external.

They could create a choice upon boot, but even if you told and told and told everyone what the consequences of choosing to combine the 2 drives disk space were during the boot process, can you just see the number of posts/support calls to D* about "hey where are all the shows I had on the original drive, they're gone, you guys are the worst company, blah, blah, blah"

It would become a support nightmare.

#33 OFFLINE   SoCool

SoCool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSouth West Florida

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:07 PM

When I bought my 64 (upgrade from a Timex Sinclair) I got a modem too...what a huge mistake that was ;)

Another Timex Sinclair guy! My hard drive was a casette player. Oh Z80 where have you gone?:lol:

4-HR24 100's, 2-H25 100's, connected Whole Home,

Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D LC60C8470U
Philips 42" Plasma w/Ambilight 42PF9630A/37, Magnavox 42" LCD 42MF531D/37,
Magnavox 42" LCD 42MF521D/37,
Sony STR-DE935, Bose AM-7, Bose AM-5,Yamaha YST-SW160 sub
2-Sony PS3
Sony BDP-N460 BD-DVD
Sirius Radio's: 3
DIRECTV subscriber since 1996, Premier Pkg

#34 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

The poster discussing the issues about how to incorporate combining the internal and external together makes an excellent point. Using current technology, it seems the only way for this to work is when you hook up the external drive, it would have to wipe out all material on both drives to create an LVM, so you couldnt just fill an external drive, and hook up another one on the fly, it would have to completely wipe out the data on the internal drive again everytime you decided to mate it with a different external.

I raised this problem on the "esata but..." thread a while back.
I need/want the 2 drives to work together--but not if it's going to reformat the esata drive.

My greatest fear (OK, a little hyperbole here) is that a CE will activate both drives, and my recordings will vanish. On one DVR, I filled up the internal drive (granted, with stuff I may never watch) before adding the external. So that would be a potential TB of recordings vanished. And if we're given a warning (this new software will wipe out your external drive), we need (not want) to have an option for playing those recordings, such as an option that will allow us to continue to use the drives separately until they can be safely integrated.

Earl keeps telling us that the esata support is a lower priority. Until DTV can find a way to allow us to continue to use the recordings on our current external drive, I'm willing to wait.

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

I NEED it. I also NEED the USB port activated to support an external drive. I record most shows in prime time by program and wait until I have them all to watch them all at once (over a period of about a week per program). I'm just finishing Heroes this week. My wife and I prefer this method over watching as recorded. We still have Lost to watch and several other series. Doing it this way, we need a lot of hours. My TiVos took up the slack last season and I hope to be able to use the HR20s with eSATAs to replace some of the TiVos this year.

We very rarely watch live TV. I used to have about 10 VCRs running constantly when I had cable. Then Ultimate TV and TiVo and now the HR20. This just keeps getting better and better. But, I still NEED more hours!

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:57 PM

I voted the closest I could find to "whatever floats your boat". I see problems with trying to get both drives to work together when one is removable. eSata enclosures are only going to get cheaper, so just get the biggest you can.

Right!

#37 OFFLINE   DVRaholic

DVRaholic

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Ohh well, Poll started 8 days ago and only 130 voted.
Guess its not as important as I thought it was :(

Guess I will have to start Deleting in September
to make room for all the new HD :(
1-HR23-700 (2TB E-sata)
2-HR20-100 's
ALL HR2xx Networked
3- R22 DVR's

1-5lnb Slimline

#38 OFFLINE   cuibap

cuibap

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:54 PM

The Dishnetwork USB drives will play from directly from the USB. But funny thing, sounds like trickplay "sucks" from the USB drives, especially on HD...

Just being able to migrate or archive recordings from one unit to another within my account is a very important thing--at least until HD recording is resolved and economical. As drives become larger and I have more favorite recordings, I hate to lose them every two years as I replace units from failure or new and improved.

Cheers,
Tom

I agree. The ability to move recordings from a box to an external drive and be able to watch it in another box is a compromise of the multi-room feature. Better yet, storing (without watching) it on any computer harddrive is even better.

#39 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:51 AM

My quandary with the 1st choice was wording using NEED. I could not choose that option if I was going to vote honestly. Not one person NEEDS that disk space. Everyone wants it.

They could create a choice upon boot, but even if you told and told and told everyone what the consequences of choosing to combine the 2 drives disk space were during the boot process, can you just see the number of posts/support calls to D* about "hey where are all the shows I had on the original drive, they're gone, you guys are the worst company, blah, blah, blah"

It would become a support nightmare.

Aww c'mon...computers have been able to store data on multiple drives for quite some time. The only issue would be either dealing with a file spanning two drives...or more likely managing the system so that when a file is to large for the space remaining on the one drive it gets written to the other one.
Sure, striping and RAID are more elegant ways to do it, but they're by no means mandatory.

As for people losing their data...DirecTV's CSRs have very little problem with telling people to format their drives to potentially fix an issue.

#40 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,854 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:37 AM

Not having both is a silly waste of space, as well as wear and tear on the internal drive. The drives should be additive. Of course this is asking for the obvious as D* has said before that this feature is in the que, just not high priority.

I certainly agree with that! Lots of other stuff to work on that do more good for more people. It's not like there's no room on the existing drive, or it was terribly under sized.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

spam firewall