Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Internal and External Together...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you NEED the Internal & External Drives to work Together ??? (189 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you NEED the Internal & External Drives to work Together ???

1. YES I NEED & Want both together for The Extra Recording Space (142 votes [75.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.13%

2. External hard Drive is enough for me (8 votes [4.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

3. Extra space would be nice, But not that important to me (32 votes [16.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.93%

4. 300GB space is more then enough (7 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote

#41 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

Not having both is a silly waste of space, as well as wear and tear on the internal drive. The drives should be additive. Of course this is asking for the obvious as D* has said before that this feature is in the que, just not high priority.

I certainly agree with that! Lots of other stuff to work on that do more good for more people. It's not like there's no room on the existing drive, or it was terribly under sized.

Hasan,

I agree...and in reality it's not all that unusual in the world of computers to toss a smaller drive when upgrading. It'd be nice if they used both...but there are certainly more important things that need to be done.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   NickD

NickD

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

I do need the extra space. Will life go on if I don't get it, sure but that is not the point. For my families needs and wants I need the extra space. I need as much space as I can get. I have 2 small children, we record multiple shows just for them to watch. This alone takes up quite a bit of space. Now throw in the serials that we record and throw in a few HD movies, guess how much space is going to be left. I have 157 hours of space on my SD Directivo and there have been times when that has not been enough. My wife and I work schedules that do not always allow us to watch our shows that night, that week even. For example we just finished watching the last season of SG-1 the other night. So, I do need that kind of space.

If there is a drive inside then it should be recording, not just sitting there creating heat, IMHO.
Nick

#43 OFFLINE   bec

bec

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

I would be satisfied with ability to switch between the internal and external drives in software and that the unused drive would power down. It would also be nice if files could be transferred from one drive to the other so one could be used for current recording and the other for archiving programs. A bonus would be the capacity to take the external drive and be able to plug it in to a replacement unit (keeping the recordings).

#44 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

when you add an external drive do you have to set up all your season passes/links/auto-records again???

#45 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

when you add an external drive do you have to set up all your season passes/links/auto-records again???

Yes

#46 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,843 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

Hasan,

I agree...and in reality it's not all that unusual in the world of computers to toss a smaller drive when upgrading. It'd be nice if they used both...but there are certainly more important things that need to be done.

Ken, in the "old days", you wouldn't believe how hard it was for me to toss a perfectly working drive when I picked up a newer larger (and cheaper) one. I was working on an old 550 mhz overclocked Celeron last week and it had 3 partitions on it....5, 8 and 7 gigs. :) Over 10 years old and the drive still works perfectly (it has run 24x7 since installation)

Way off topic: I just bought an external USB 2.0, 250 gig drive at Sams for $79.00

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#47 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Ken, in the "old days", you wouldn't believe how hard it was for me to toss a perfectly working drive when I picked up a newer larger (and cheaper) one. I was working on an old 550 mhz overclocked Celeron last week and it had 3 partitions on it....5, 8 and 7 gigs. :) Over 10 years old and the drive still works perfectly (it has run 24x7 since installation)

Way off topic: I just bought an external USB 2.0, 250 gig drive at Sams for $79.00

hahaha...old days and it had 5 gigs? My first HD had 5MB. :)

#48 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,843 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:34 AM

hahaha...old days and it had 5 gigs? My first HD had 5MB. :)

I wasn't going that far back, just that I was still USING that computer with WinXP!

I remember my first ST-225 seemed like the biggest drive in the world, and my friend paying 1200 bucks for his first 10 mb hard drive.

Anywho, a trip down nostalgia lane.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

spam firewall