Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ok 2 quick questions!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scottrleo1

scottrleo1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

I just got my Hr20 last night. Everything is hooked up and working(sorta)

I have 2 questions.

Several times on ESPN(HD) today, the screen flashes black for about 1 second. I don't lose sound, so I don't thinks it's a signal issue. Is this a known problem? How should I troubleshoot it.

Twice this morning I got a (searching for sat signal 771?) or something like that, on 1 of my local channels. It came right back. We aren't facing any inclement weather or anything. Again how should I troubleshoot?

Thanks for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mike_augie

mike_augie

You call I haul..

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

hello ....it almost sounds to me that you are having sat signal problems ...can you look at your signal strength and make sure that you have atleast some 90ish on the 101,110,119 and then on the 103 or the 99 you should see one of them or both of them should have signals not all transponders will be high 90ish but there should be some on all the different sats except on the 99 or the 103 which are spot beems but you should have one or the others on one of these sat..but it does sound like a signal strength problem....
(2) Hr 20-700
HR 20-100
Phillips tivo
D-11
AU-9.
SWM 8 channel

#3 OFFLINE   Duffycoug

Duffycoug

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

As far as I know that is not normal....never happens to me....sounds like your dish might need to be fine tuned.
AT9 -->WB68 --> HR 20-100S --> HDMI --> Sony 42" Plasma KDE-42XS955.
(4) SD Directv Tivo.

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

My ESPN HD has been doing that for about a week now.. I've seen several other posts where other people have been experiencing it as well.. http://forums.direct...postID=10258147

#5 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:08 PM

I just got my Hr20 last night. Everything is hooked up and working(sorta)

I have 2 questions.

Several times on ESPN(HD) today, the screen flashes black for about 1 second. I don't lose sound, so I don't thinks it's a signal issue. Is this a known problem? How should I troubleshoot it.

Twice this morning I got a (searching for sat signal 771?) or something like that, on 1 of my local channels. It came right back. We aren't facing any inclement weather or anything. Again how should I troubleshoot?

Thanks for your help.

The ESPN thing has been happening to many many many here recently, so no big deal

The searching for satellite thing could be issues with alignment (what are your signal readings on the various satellites)
or the box (You could try a menu restart recorder, then a menu reset everything, then a red button reset, then a pull the plug reset, in that order)
or the cabling or the connections or the multiswitch or the lnb or the dish (change them out)
or the weather or airplanes going overhead (perhaps tweak your alignment)
or probably 100 other things.
Trigger

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

ESPN flash to black for a second seems to be a problem at ESPN. I have it on two different model receivers. Doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. ESPN is the ONLY channel that this happens on. I don't think it's an HR20 problem.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   scottrleo1

scottrleo1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

Ok so the ESPN thing seems to be a popular problem. So on my 771 lost signal issue, I checked the signal strengths like you suggested. Tuner 1 is in the 70's while tuner 2 is in the 90's. On all transponders. I swapped cables and tuner 1 was still in the 70's. Does this lead me to a dish pointing issue, or a bad HR20-100?

#8 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

Ok so the ESPN thing seems to be a popular problem. So on my 771 lost signal issue, I checked the signal strengths like you suggested. Tuner 1 is in the 70's while tuner 2 is in the 90's. On all transponders. I swapped cables and tuner 1 was still in the 70's. Does this lead me to a dish pointing issue, or a bad HR20-100?

it rules out many things by swapping the cables. It is not a dish pointing issue. Try an unplug then plug back in. Did you switch out the BBCs at the same time?
Trigger

#9 OFFLINE   scottrleo1

scottrleo1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:39 AM

it rules out many things by swapping the cables. It is not a dish pointing issue. Try an unplug then plug back in. Did you switch out the BBCs at the same time?

I switched the cables that had the bbc's attached, so in effect yeah i switched those too. Does this lead to a bad tuner? Would a bad tuner only get signal in the 70's? or would it get nothing at all?

Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   scottrleo1

scottrleo1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

Should I ask for a new receiver???

#11 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

Should I ask for a new receiver???

Sometimes these things are persnickity--I had a cable run that would work fine on my H20, but not the HR20, until I removed my polarity locker/signal booster which evidently had a minor flaw (completely unrelated to your issue, but an example). A new receiver could fix your issue, call CSR and they'll have to walk you through all the basic things first--reset, unplug, hold-tongue to the left and spin around three times to the right, etc.
Trigger

Protected By... spam firewall...And...