I am scheduled to have two 622s installed next week, to replace two SA-8300HD DVRs from my local cable provider, and have a few questions.
1. My house is almost 10 years old. The original RG6 cables to various rooms was installed by the builder, and I don't know whether they meet the specs for the new equipment. The two rooms with an HDTV also have a second cable run, installed several years ago to get dual tuner capability for the D* Tivo units that I used prior to changing to cable. Specs on those cables are unknown as well.
I never removed the old D* dish and cable run 18 months ago when switched to cable, as was going to consider changing back when they had MPEG4 locals (had an HR10-250, with awful OTA HD reception, even with an attic antenna)
My understanding is that E* uses a device that functions similar to a multiswitch with each 622 to allow a single cable run for dual sat tuner functionality, but requires higher spec RG6 cabling.
Will the E* installer likely have to remove not only the D* dish, but the outside cabling as well, and also replace one cable run to each of the two rooms where 622s are installed? If so, my house has a crawl space, so wouldn't be particularly difficult.
2. My home office doesn't have a TV, but is wired for cable. I would like to use it for the TV2 function on one of the 622s for music only. The cable run is now unused, as I also just changed back to DSL from cable internet.
How is the TV2 connection made to the 622, and connected to the second room?
Does it require a dedicated cable run from the room with the 622 to the room with TV2, or is it connected externally at the cable box before the cables enter the house? If a dedicated cable run is needed, the spare cable run from D* could be connected to the output on the 622, and then connected to the cable run that goes to my home office at the cable box on the outside wall.
I assume that I would need something like the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 Hybrid Video Recorder to connect to the TV2 feed, and then to my PC.
Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
Guest Message by DevFuse
new install questions
No replies to this topic