Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What's up with all the annoying audio dropouts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   w84mike

w84mike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Over the past 4 or 5 days (both before and after getting the latest national release) I have noticed a big increase in audio dropouts on certain HD channels. HDnet channel 79 is pretty much unwatchable as dropouts occur every one to two minutes. Saturday I recorded Black Rain on HDNM channel 78, but I had to abandon watching it as the dropouts were so frequent at about every 3 to 4 minutes, I couldn't keep up with the story. Same thing happened with a recording made Saturday of Audrey Rose on Showtime 71. I noticed the dropouts on ABC channel 87 on Thursday watching live during the daytime - occurring every 1 to 2 minutes. I switched to the MPEG4 version, channel 7, and no dropouts. Same thing on ABC this morning: dropouts every minute on 87 while no dropouts on channel 7. Also finding verrrrry frequent dropouts (every 2 to 3 minutes) on TNT channel 75. I've had my dvr since early September and have never experienced dropouts this bad before. No dropout problems with SD stations at all. Anybody else having this problem or is it just me?

Mike
Mike
HR24-100, Native On, Harmony ONE remote,
Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma TV, connected to HR24 via HDMI thru
Pioneer VSX-919AH AV receiver, connected to HR24 via HDMI
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player, Sony PlayStation 3

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:00 PM

Same here, audio dropouts and video pixelations, from channels 70 to 79....at times, most movies are unwatchable....no solution in sight

#3 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:01 PM

Sorry you are having trouble, I have not seen the audio drop outs at all. I would guess alignment is off for, I think, sat 119. Have you checked signal strenghts?
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

Sorry you are having trouble, I have not seen the audio drop outs at all. I would guess alignment is off for, I think, sat 119. Have you checked signal strenghts?

there are plenty of threads discussing this issue. some people find removing the B-band converters helps, and some can isolate it to a single tuner. In my case, after a dish alignment, then a replacement HR20, I'm "drop free" for about 4 days now.
NR | HR20-700 | WNC AU9, WB68 | Linksys WRT54G | 6 Mbps | Denon 2807 (HDMI) | Panasonic 42PX60U (HDMI)

#5 OFFLINE   UTVLamented

UTVLamented

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

Add your comments to this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=91888

Update: I removed my tuner 1 BBC 6 days ago. So far, seen few dropouts, certainly tolerable, not like before. Was this due to the BBC or some other factor, who knows? Anyone else seen a decrease in incidence in the past week?
1 HR-20 700
1 HR-20 100
1 DTivo Series 1
1 DTivo Series 2

#6 OFFLINE   w84mike

w84mike

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

Signal strengths as follows:
99 (B) = 11-13%
103 (a) = 96%
101 = 94-95%
110 = 95%
119 = 87-89%

I don't actually know what that means though. What should they read?

Mike
Mike

#7 OFFLINE   w84mike

w84mike

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

there are plenty of threads discussing this issue. some people find removing the B-band converters helps, and some can isolate it to a single tuner. In my case, after a dish alignment, then a replacement HR20, I'm "drop free" for about 4 days now.

Wow! That made the difference. I had put those converters back on around January or February, but I can't believe that did it. No dropouts now on 79 or 87 which were the worst.

Thanks!!! This is why I love this website - quick answers to problems.

Much appreciated!

Mike
Mike

#8 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

Wow! That made the difference. I had put those converters back on around January or February, but I can't believe that did it. No dropouts now on 79 or 87 which were the worst.

Thanks!!! This is why I love this website - quick answers to problems.

Much appreciated!

Mike

Make sure you call D* and get replacement BBCs, you're going to need them. The replacements are free.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

Or you can order them online from here.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#10 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

Here is my story Just in the last month I have been having dropouts on my MPEG-2 channels in the 70's.
I did not have the problem on my SD channels or my MPEG-4 channels.
I was able to narrow it down to the #1 tuner as it would show up on every other channel removing the BBC'smade no difference.
I went thru all my cables and fittings and tightend them all and making sure the were in good shape as others have said this solved ther problem but I still had the droupouts.
So my next step was to switch the cables around to eliminate a bad cable, well now my tuner #1 was perfect no dropout's I figured when I changed channels again the trouble would follow nope that did not happen that channel was perfect also so continued to switch thru the channels and no more droupouts.
So to make a long story short just switchinng sat in cables seems to have worked for me. Why I have no Idea but for the first time in a month I have been droupout free for 3 days.;) :)
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

spam firewall