Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Esata and existing HDD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts
  • LocationDALLAS TX

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

Just made the jump from the R15 to HR20. I have read a lot of posts about esata and I would like to know if any one has disconnected the internal drive and run on esata only. I am aware of the "breaking the seal" voids warranty stuff but I know my around computers and unhooking a HDD is no big deal. There has been many posts about heat problems and shutting down the internal HDD would sure cool off the box plus you would not wearout the existing drive doing nothing.
OR does esata shut down the internal drive ?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

I don't know if when connecting an eSATA drive if the HR20 will shut off power to the internal drive. Nevertheless, you should be fine just hooking up the eSATA and forgetting about the internal drive. The heat "issue" seems to be overblown by a few people here. As long as your HR20 info screen reads a temp of around 129 (normal temperature) then you're fine.

#3 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts
  • LocationDALLAS TX

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

I don't know if when connecting an eSATA drive if the HR20 will shut off power to the internal drive. Nevertheless, you should be fine just hooking up the eSATA and forgetting about the internal drive. The heat "issue" seems to be overblown by a few people here. As long as your HR20 info screen reads a temp of around 129 (normal temperature) then you're fine.

Thanks for the reply. I know I will be just fine with the esata drive but it bugs me having the internal drive wearing it self out doing nothing

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know I will be just fine with the esata drive but it bugs me having the internal drive wearing it self out doing nothing

Does the internal drive even spin when the esata drive is connected?

#5 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Does the internal drive even spin when the esata drive is connected?

I'd be surprised if it does. The drive spinning up and down is what causes wear and tear. If it's just receiving power and remaining idle there is no harm in leaving it as is.

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

I'd be surprised if it does. The drive spinning up and down is what causes wear and tear. If it's just receiving power and remaining idle there is no harm in leaving it as is.

That's what I figured. No point in removing it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...