Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sudden 622 crashes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

Over the last month I've had several 622 crashes with the following symptoms (while watching a live sat program):
1. Picture freezes
2. Screen goes black then all blue
3. Black screen once more all the lights go off
4. "Searching for satellite" screen comes up and freezes. (green/yellow lights back on). There is no "progress" to the search (1 thru 5), and the "help button" is non functional.

Perform soft reset with power button. Hard drive screams for about 30 seconds; all the lights blink; back to "searching for satellite"screen...which might be frozen again or may actually - but very slowly - begin showing progress.

Sometimes take two or 3 resets before we ever get back to an actual picture and sound.

Anybody else had this problem?! Any fix or any idea what's causing it?:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JrVtecAccord

JrVtecAccord

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

I also have been having several crashes in the last couple of weeks. I get a black screen and loud screeching audio. It's solved with a soft reset. Very weird, since I never had any issues through all software updates and I have had this receiver since Jan/Feb.

I know it's not a heat issues since I have two 120mm and a 80mm pc case fans cooling this puppy down:eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:46 AM

I just had one yesterday where the screen was completely blank with no sound or video. I had to do a soft reset. I've had a few problems crop up since the L409 update.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#4 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

Mine were random with 4.03-4.05. I have not had ANY since 4.06 and 4.09.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#5 OFFLINE   MikeHou

MikeHou

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

I've been experiencing similar symptoms over the last couple of weeks. Last night it was worse, and was exactly the same on my 311. Took a hard reset on both to get back to normal. Never experienced anything like this in the 11 months on the 622. I'm still at L405.

#6 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

That's funny, because I was having problems for the first three weeks after install, which turned out to be a loose coaxial connection in the attic, but I've not had any problems like those described above since, and I'm still running 4.05
END OF LINE

#7 OFFLINE   ells5916

ells5916

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

I am currently on my third 622VIP, the previous two started exhibiting loss of signal, freezing, pixellation, and diagnostic messages to run the "check switch" procedure. Thes symptoms got worse and more frequent over time until the unit was unwatchable. Both times Dish support ran me through diagnostic procedures before sending me a new unit. The HDMI worked on the first unit, and hasn't worked on any of the subsequent ones. I suspect a heat issue, I purchased a laptop cooler and the unit isn't hot to the touch anymore, hopefully this one will last a little longer (two bad units in under a year is pitiful.) There is no other equipment contributing to a heat problem, and there is plenty of room around it for ventilation. In my opinion, a bad design (and I have over 30 years experience with electronics)

Since I posted the above the third unit has started the same symptoms, just not as frequent as the last two (yet, I have only had it a couple of days) I think they are sending me "refurbed" units, which probably means some low level tech somewhere takes the failed unit, plugs it in, and watches it for 15 minutes or so before deciding it is ok and repackages it to ship it out again. Evidently they don't consider a non-working HDMI connector to be a problem. I am really getting someone's failed unit as a replacement for the heat fried DSPs in my unit. Got to call tonight and see if I can talk them into sending me an actual new unit so I can get the service I am paying for. Hopefully the laptop cooler will keep a new unit working longer than a few months.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...