Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Basic?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

I've seen some references to the DirecTV Basic package ($9.99/month) but have a few more questions:
-Is it available to anyone or just WorldView customers?
-What channels does it include?

No, I'm not under contract...bought the first receiver at K-Mart in 1999 and got some additional receivers from friends who went back to cable.

I need to cut back for awhile, and really all I want is local channels, but apparently you can't buy just locals anymore. (Looking back at some old bills, in early 2001 I had locals for $5.99, DirecTV Limited for $7.99, the Family Pack for $5, and the LA/NY networks for $4.68, totalling $25/month. Wish that deal was still around!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

I'm not really sure about basic. I know that you can scale back at least to Family Choice for $29.99. Hopefully someone else has more info.
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

#3 OFFLINE   morbid_fun

morbid_fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:30 AM

I've seen some references to the DirecTV Basic package ($9.99/month) but have a few more questions:
-Is it available to anyone or just WorldView customers?
-What channels does it include?

No, I'm not under contract...bought the first receiver at K-Mart in 1999 and got some additional receivers from friends who went back to cable.

I need to cut back for awhile, and really all I want is local channels, but apparently you can't buy just locals anymore. (Looking back at some old bills, in early 2001 I had locals for $5.99, DirecTV Limited for $7.99, the Family Pack for $5, and the LA/NY networks for $4.68, totalling $25/month. Wish that deal was still around!)

I do not know what channels are included, other than locals and shopping, but the package is only for their international programming customers.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Go to D* web site and select international programming the basic package should be listed. You can suspend your subscription if you really are desperate. $29.99 is minimum to maintain leased equipment.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

I have basic pack for 9.99 and I am subscribed to the Sky ITaly channel for 9.99. I am an international customer and that is the cheapest way to get just locals and the ONe channel my wife wanted "the 101" so she can see "Passions" soap when it moves to Directv in Sept. I have no interest in the international channels at all but it only cost me $21.50 a month with tax included, to get this channel and the locals come with that basic pack. The rest of the basic pack is shopping and religious channels. Oh and you also get some XM sat radio channels . I really have no need for Directv other than that one channel since I have had DISH since 1/18/97.

#6 ONLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,382 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:35 PM

If I remember correctly Basic is only available as an add-on for a international package. It includes around 89 channels but only 30% (roughly) of them are not music channels. Most of the non-music channels are either religous or shopping networks.

If you want a stand-alone package then the cheapest is Family.

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

I have basic pack for 9.99 and I am subscribed to the Sky ITaly channel for 9.99. I am an international customer and that is the cheapest way to get just locals and the ONe channel my wife watned "the 101" so she can see "Passions" soap when it moves to Directv in Sept. I have no interest in the international channels at all but it only cost me $21.50 a month with tax included, to get this channel and the locals come with that basic pack. The rest of the basic pack is shopping and religious channels. I really have no need for Directv other than that one channel since I have had DISH since 1/18/97.

I'd think it would be cheaper to use Bittorrent. ;)

#8 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

Okay I'll bite. What is Bittorrent?

#9 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

I found the answer to one of my questions...DirecTV does have a lineup posted on their site:

http://www.directv.c...ctLineup3_n.pdf

#10 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

:lol: Funny but true
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#11 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:40 PM

Okay I'll bite. What is Bittorrent?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/BitTorrent
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#12 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:43 PM

Italian TV via Broadband
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#13 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:30 AM

Like I said I really don't need or watch Italian tv at all. I only need the "101" channel that is NOT available in the family pack . You have to have the choice pack for around $50.00 a month to get it. So using the international channel for SKy ITaly at $9.99 and the basic english pack for $9.99 gives me that one channel I need for "Passions" soap for my wife for a total of $21.50 a month with tax. I wish the soap would still be available on the internet but they won't be showing the episodes daily on th web like they do while they are on NBC.

spam firewall