Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM.. What's the big deal?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jacobp

jacobp

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

I recently switched out my HR10s with two HR20s. I also have another DirecTivo and another basic DTV box. So in all I have 4 TVs in my home. I no longer use OTA.

If I understand correctly, SWM allows you to run one wire per box instead of multiple wires and also allows you to use diplexers if you are using OTA, just like I used to on my HR10.

If the installation is already completed, and all is working fine, and I have no desire to use OTA, is there any advantage to using SWM?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:00 PM

Simple answer is no. Not that I know of anyway.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

SWM is more for those that have a cabling problem, where they can't run enough coax to supply feeds to all of their boxes.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

The impact of SWM....

Will be mainly seen in older homes, that have pre-wired for "cable"...
Where it would be extremely costly, difficult (if not impossible), to run additional lines... inside the walls. (and in some cases at all).

MDU's will also be greatly impacted by the SWM technology....
As almost all MDU's built in the last decade or so... have been built (or retrofitted), for some sort of "cable" solution... but almost none of them were run with 2 let alone 3 lines.

For someone like me... SWM has next to impact... as when I built my house... I knew the system... I knew I needed 2,3, and even 5 dedicated runs from a central point, to the room. (I have just short of 4,000ft of coax running in the house)

I am far far the exception to the rule, and the targetted audience for SWM. (not that I wouldn't benefit from it, but I am not the targetted audience).
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   jacobp

jacobp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

As a fellow Sox fan, I thought you would get a kick out of my "logo." While it was created in 2003 for obvious reasons, here's hoping that it was a renewed significance this year and for many years to come.

#6 OFFLINE   qlanus

qlanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

All the best to our 'south-sider' friends in Chicagoland.
HR20-700 (3 ea):Component - all, HDMI:None, Software ver.:(two - 0x339), HR20-700, (one - NR, always)
Native:No, SWM:Yes, OTA:Yes - diplexed to both HR20s, Locals:Chicago - zip code:60007
Network:Both - yes (via Netgear XE104 & Xe103GE powerline adapters)
Misc:Slimline dish, OTA antenna:old & rusty, BBC:not needed (SWM-8!), eSata:No, iPhone 3Gs

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

As for the logos....

I don't cheer against the Cubs.. .unless we are playing head to head.
Even I was a bit disappointed when they where knocked out a few years ago.

My disappointed only lasted about 5 minutes though...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Earl, maybe I'm missing something here, but if its primarily targeted for older existing homes, arent most of those homes going to have poorly rated RG59 running through the walls that needs to be replaced anyway? If you gotta pull one new run through, there is no reason not to pull 2 or more at the same time. I think the SWM is a great idea, but its not going to solve the problems some are having due to faulty/inadequate wall cabling in the 1st place.

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

Earl, maybe I'm missing something here, but if its primarily targeted for older existing homes, arent most of those homes going to have poorly rated RG59 running through the walls that needs to be replaced anyway? If you gotta pull one new run through, there is no reason not to pull 2 or more at the same time. I think the SWM is a great idea, but its not going to solve the problems some are having due to faulty/inadequate wall cabling in the 1st place.

SWM was designed to work with RG59; RG6 is not a requirement.

You will need RG6 rated cables from Dish to SWM... but out of the SWM on the non-legacy ports... RG-59 will work.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

Even with a new home cabling can be an issue. I purchased a spec home last year and while I got the builder to run extra coax to a number of locations there were a few that would be a real pain to get runs installed to, so for me a SWM would still be a welcomed addition.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

It will come in very hand with the mini-mansions around here. A lot (99.5%) are wired with just one run to a room. People with a 500,000+ house don't like to see RG-6 tacked to the side of their house. :( In practicly all of them there is zero chance of getting a second or third line ran without having some trained rodents to crawl through walls.

Lost count on how many DVRs are hooked up with just one line. :(
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#12 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

I recently switched out my HR10s with two HR20s. I also have another DirecTivo and another basic DTV box. So in all I have 4 TVs in my home.
If the installation is already completed, and all is working fine, and I have no desire to use OTA, is there any advantage to using SWM?

With a SWM you will be able to use your single cable runs to your HR20s and use both sat tuners. You can only use one sat tuner with one cable now. Then you could record one sat channel while you watch another live. Now you are forced to watch only the program that is being recorded.

That would be a benefit, if you desire it. :)
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#13 ONLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

The big reason I wanted SWM is because we had OTA with our HR10-250s (PBS was awesome in HD). My town was wired for A-B cable so when we moved in here, the battle was half done. I was able to put my OTA on my satellite line and then split it back at the HR10-250.

HR20 comes out. No combining the OTA on the line the same way you could do it with the HR10. I was without OTA for a few months because there was no way I was running a third line to all of my locations. It wouldn't be cost effective. As soon as I got my SWM, I got back my PBS plus all the sub-channels that I had prior and life was good again because that 2nd line I was using before now is being used for OTA.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#14 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

Clean hookup :) where I would have 6 cables (4 sat 2 OTA) I now have one :)
see pics: http://www.dbstalk.c...75&postcount=10

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#15 OFFLINE   dbmaven

dbmaven

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

I had a DTC-100, one of the first HD receivers, in my living room.
In the intervening years, the house was re-done with vinyl siding.
At the time, DVRs with a 2 tuner/cable requirement were just becoming available.

In order to get the MPEG4 feeds, I upgraded to an HR20. Reading here about the SWM solidified my decision to *not* rip the siding off 1 entire side of the house to get a 2nd line run - or have a tech do something really kludgy that would look like crap.

You're correct, of course - if you already have 2 cables run to a variety of locations, the SWM is a "nice to have" and nothing more.

I just wish I could get one - like yesterday - or maybe get into one of the late trial runs....

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

In its simplest form, SWM provides the opportunity of flexibility and choice - to operate devices with multiple tuners (most commonly HD DVRs) to be located in any room in the home.

My home is only 6 years old, and others in my subdivision are only 3 years old, yet virtually none of the 500+ homes there have more than 1 cable run line to most (if not all) rooms.

While my dedicated Home Theater was constructed with the necessary cabling and other requirements for a successful HD viewing experience that includes multiple concurrent tuners (watch 1 channel, record another).

It may not be critical for some, and may not be needed for some others, but in general, flexibility and choice options are good things.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

Now how does that all work with needing all the SCC RG6, wouldnt you still need the signalling and the DC voltage to be able to pass from the LNBs to the receiver on the other end?

#18 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:50 PM

even tho i haven't had much of a chance to see if it's true or not (no rain). this is what was told to me in the SWM chat when i asked if it helped any with rain-fade. the answer was, "yes, to a small degree the SWM will help with rain fade".
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#19 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:54 PM

Now how does that all work with needing all the SCC RG6, wouldnt you still need the signalling and the DC voltage to be able to pass from the LNBs to the receiver on the other end?

All of that is handled by the SWM.. there no longer is any "power" on the lines to the boxes..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

All of that is handled by the SWM.. there no longer is any "power" on the lines to the boxes..

Just from the power inserter to the SWM and then on to the LNBs
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...