Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM.. What's the big deal?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:19 PM

even tho i haven't had much of a chance to see if it's true or not (no rain). this is what was told to me in the SWM chat when i asked if it helped any with rain-fade. the answer was, "yes, to a small degree the SWM will help with rain fade".

I personally don't see how the SWM could make any difference at all with regard to the amount of signal that is reaching the dish, or the degree of sensitivity in the front end receivers in the LNB assembly. Rain fade does not effect the signal that is sent from the dish to the receiver or multiswitch, and that's where the SWM works.

But I've been proven wrong on more than one occasion, I suppose anything is possible.

Carl

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

I personally don't see how the SWM could make any difference at all with regard to the amount of signal that is reaching the dish, or the degree of sensitivity in the front end receivers in the LNB assembly. Rain fade does not effect the signal that is sent from the dish to the receiver or multiswitch, and that's where the SWM works.

But I've been proven wrong on more than one occasion, I suppose anything is possible.

Carl

Since the SWM is an amplifier and signal regenerater between the dish and the receiver, it can give an installation better performance than a long run from dish to receiver or from dish thru the unpowered multiswitch to the receiver. Also the SWM is a powered switch, providing maximal energy to all the LNBs all the time. (Which could theoretically improve switching time.)

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#23 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

I recently switched out my HR10s with two HR20s. I also have another DirecTivo and another basic DTV box. So in all I have 4 TVs in my home. I no longer use OTA.

If I understand correctly, SWM allows you to run one wire per box instead of multiple wires and also allows you to use diplexers if you are using OTA, just like I used to on my HR10.

If the installation is already completed, and all is working fine, and I have no desire to use OTA, is there any advantage to using SWM?

Your last statement, full of IF clauses is very accurrate. If you meet all that criteria, SWM isn't necessary for you. Or if you have enough cable to support OTA and all the tuners in every room.

My house is close. Like Earl, I ran a ton of coax. In one room, 9 runs, I think. To support all the possible uses I could have for the media hub in my family room. But I have two rooms that are very hard to run more cable too. And a couple of walls where I'd prefer more connections, but with SWM, the one existing line will do.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,394 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

Since the SWM is an amplifier and signal regenerater between the dish and the receiver, it can give an installation better performance than a long run from dish to receiver or from dish thru the unpowered multiswitch to the receiver. Also the SWM is a powered switch, providing maximal energy to all the LNBs all the time. (Which could theoretically improve switching time.)

Cheers,
Tom

You stole my thunder...:lol:

Carl6 I asked in the SWM chat about this and there is "gain" in the SWM. They wouldn't say how much, but this was what was to "help" with rain fade. I'd say at best, it would prolong the on set of it, but of course not help a bit with total loss of signal. :)
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

Tom and VOS,

Thanks for the explanation.

Carl

#26 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

Tom and VOS,

Thanks for the explanation.

Carl

+1 thanks Tom & VOS

carl6, sorry i should have given a more detail post on what was told to me in the swm chat. i was just trying to keeping the post as a "general" comment.
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#27 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:18 PM

So...is the SWM available now?

I am going to set up a new receiver and multiswitch today and I am just curious.

I have 2 HR20's and 1 HR10-250 and could use it so I can diplex OTA again.
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#28 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

So...is the SWM available now?

I am going to set up a new receiver and multiswitch today and I am just curious.

I have 2 HR20's and 1 HR10-250 and could use it so I can diplex OTA again.

No date set yet. Looks like it will probably be out Q3 or Q4.

spam firewall