Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

US Open Series recording

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

So Sunday afternoon I was going to be busy and decided to record the Blake/Stephanek US Open Series match on ESPN HD. I guess the broadcasters didn't intend for the match to go over 2 sets, so the airing was extended - but the recording wasn't! Right after viewing the end of the 2nd set I get the "Delete or Save recording" message! Let's say I was p'ed off big time... :mad:

Is this an HR20 or broadcaster issue, and is there any way I can ensure I get the full recording next time? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

Pad ANY live event...

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#3 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:29 PM

I guess it makes sense to do that, of course you don't know how long pad for. But I wasn't even sure if this match was "live" or not, so I didn't bother. Next time I'm going to have to make sure though...

IMHO though, it seems like this "intelligence" should be built-in. Did the old Tivo units require padding like this also?

#4 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

Legend in his own mind...

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

Yep, all DVR/PVRs have this problem. The guide data isn't updated realtime...

#5 OFFLINE   HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCentreville, VA

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

So Sunday afternoon I was going to be busy and decided to record the Blake/Stephanek US Open Series match on ESPN HD. I guess the broadcasters didn't intend for the match to go over 2 sets, so the airing was extended - but the recording wasn't! Right after viewing the end of the 2nd set I get the "Delete or Save recording" message! Let's say I was p'ed off big time... :mad:

Is this an HR20 or broadcaster issue, and is there any way I can ensure I get the full recording next time? :confused:

Unfortunately, that is the nature of a live event: never a clue as to how long it will actually run. If I'm recording a football game, I usually pad 90 minutes at the back end to cover OT and/or lots of offense.

That also needs to be taken into account when record shows that run when live events are scheduled ... "Shark" moves to Sunday nights on CBS which means I've got to keep a 90 minute padding on that as well.

:goodjob:
Centreville, VA, 20120

DirecTV Subscriber: since January 2000
NFL Sunday Ticket: since 2000 NFL Season
Hughes Series 2 DirecTiVo (modified): October 2003, connected to RCA 27" Standard
DirecTV HR-20 HD-DVR: October 2006, connected to LG 42" Widescreen HD LCD

#6 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

Pad ANY live event...

I hear that...I padded the British Open on Sunday 1.5 hours and STILL missed the last hole (of a 4 hole play-off). :mad:

#7 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

IMHO though, it seems like this "intelligence" should be built-in. Did the old Tivo units require padding like this also?

Yes the Tivos work the same way as the HR20. The DVR records shows off of the guide data it has -- including the program length. For sports, where ending times are unpredictable, you can either pad the recording or do a manual recording of the desired length.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#8 OFFLINE   jpoet

jpoet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

Someone wrote a plug-in for the MythTV DVR system, which monitors the ESPN website during a sporting event recording. It will automatically extend the recording until a "final" score shows up.

John

#9 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:02 PM

Someone wrote a plug-in for the MythTV DVR system, which monitors the ESPN website during a sporting event recording. It will automatically extend the recording until a "final" score shows up.

John

That's fairly ingenious!

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

spam firewall