Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Have you had to return your HR20 for a replacement?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you had to return your HR20 for a replacement? (165 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you had to return your HR20 for a replacement?

1. I have not had to return my HR20. (106 votes [64.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.24%

2. I have had to return my HR20 and received a replacement. (59 votes [35.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.76%

Vote

#41 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

That's an interesting way of looking at it. Especially considering the fact that many of the features and gui changes are the product of feedback from these forums.

if the forums are not a true representative of all users, then why are the forums making the decisions that affect all users?

Anyway, nice point.
Now, let's get back to the voting.

Understandable for sure, but I think the point was that the results are for all-time and will not really indicate what the rate is today. The results from this poll will invariably be more negative than what someone getting a new HR20 today could expect in their situation.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

Nope. Mine has worked perfectly since Day 1

#43 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

5 HR20s, all about the same time in October, none replaced.

I think there should be a time limit on this poll. CSR standard operating procedure #1 was to reformat the whole HR20, #2 was replace the unit but most of the issues were software. Since January or February the replacement as SOP #2 has changed, the unit is much more robust and stable. At least my 5 went from barely operating (locking up regularly) to very, very stable. Only reboots now are CEs and power failures for me.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#44 OFFLINE   Duffinator

Duffinator

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

I have two HR20-100s and they both work fine although I wouldn't say perfectly. No major issues to complain about. Well except for 30 slip feature which was better on the HR10. :D
HR20-100S w/OTA HDMI to Panasonic 65VT30 Networked
HR20-100S w/OTA HDMI to Panasonic 50PX75U Networked

#45 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

So far, it's 30%.
That's just plain ugly.

It's also not accounting for those that have multiple systems
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#46 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

Still on my original one here. Got one of the first shipped out from Robert at Value Electronics.

Same here pre-orderd and I installed it on the 17th of Sept 2006 ;)
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#47 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

Normally the polls for the DIRECTV forums don't really solidify until we close in upon about 100 voters. We're still a bit early to call this poll.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#48 OFFLINE   kocuba

kocuba

Icon

• Registered
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

I had to return the first one that I bought, at Best Buy. The problem was that the ID for the HR20 did not match the ID that was on the box that the HR20 came in. So when the installed went to activate it, it would not work as the card was tied to the ID on the box not the id on the actual machine. Took and hour for him and D* to figure this out. And it took an hour to convince the manager at the BB that I wasn't conning him and this was the way that it came. But after I got a new box and had it activated myself I've had no major problems.

#49 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:54 PM

Looks like I might be replacing my 4 day old unit. The OTA tuner is not working well. Only one of the two OTA tuners has ever worked, and since yesterday I cannot tune all the local OTA channels anymore, but I could the first 2-3 days. I show good OTA siognal strength, it just on't tune the programming on all the channels. After much troubleshooting they are sending a tech out in a couple of days to look it over - I hope he fixes it and/or brings a replacement with him.

#50 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:01 PM

Looks like I might be replacing my 4 day old unit. The OTA tuner is not working well. Only one of the two OTA tuners has ever worked, and since yesterday I cannot tune all the local OTA channels anymore, but I could the first 2-3 days. I show good OTA siognal strength, it just on't tune the programming on all the channels. After much troubleshooting they are sending a tech out in a couple of days to look it over - I hope he fixes it and/or brings a replacement with him.

What model and what software version are you running?
With a new version rolling out now for the -700, and one in the near horizon for the -100... you may want to wait to see if anything in the update corrects the issue.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.

#51 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

Another thing to consider is nearly all OTA tuners are still having problems with multipath distortion. Usual things to check include: ensuring the antenna is as close to the towers as possible if indoors, tweak the left/right and up/down of the antenna, ensure that all splitters with empty ports are terminated, you've haven't over amplified the signal, you don't have an FM station stomping on the signal, etc. While I have a lot of experience telling OTA problems with the HR10 by looking at the signal meters, I haven't had any problems in my current home so don't know how the HR20 responds, alas.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#52 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

I suppose another poll (yay! more polls) could be: Have you had to have a HR20 replaced? If so, how long after it was installed? 0-30, 31-60, 61-90, 91-120, 120+ etc.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#53 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

I would like to know how many of the returns are from 02/01/07 and prior.

There was a dramatic change for the better right after that.

So how much of this is "Old News"?

- Craig

#54 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

I suppose another poll (yay! more polls) could be: Have you had to have a HR20 replaced? If so, how long after it was installed? 0-30, 31-60, 61-90, 91-120, 120+ etc.

I think I'd rather see one that asked: How long ago did you have a unit replaced with the ability to check more than one option (for multiple replacements) and an option for never (for me.) :)

Indeed, to allow time to pass on people filling this out next month, I'd go with when did you replace an HR20:

Never or not this year.
Jan, 2007
Feb
March
April
May
June
July
August

I am not interested at all in replacements prior to this year when SOP #2 was replace perfectly fine units cuz the software was still broken.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#55 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

Looks like we'll need a poll on what poll to run with what options. :lol:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#56 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

5 HR20s, all about the same time in October, none replaced.

I think there should be a time limit on this poll. CSR standard operating procedure #1 was to reformat the whole HR20, #2 was replace the unit but most of the issues were software. Since January or February the replacement as SOP #2 has changed, the unit is much more robust and stable. At least my 5 went from barely operating (locking up regularly) to very, very stable. Only reboots now are CEs and power failures for me.

Cheers,
Tom

I understand what you and others have said. But the fact that customers were told to return the unit (even if it was due to a software problem) still are a reality. D* made the decision to have CSRs go the return route as opposed to telling customers they couldn't do anything about their problems. In my book, that counts as a return.
HR20-100
HR20-700
DTivos

#57 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

I am not interested at all in replacements prior to this year when SOP #2 was replace perfectly fine units cuz the software was still broken.

Cheers,
Tom

Keep in mind there were legitimate returns during that period. Don't discount all returns from 2006 as being "false positives".
HR20-100
HR20-700
DTivos

#58 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

I think I'd rather see one that asked: How long ago did you have a unit replaced with the ability to check more than one option (for multiple replacements) and an option for never (for me.) :)

Indeed, to allow time to pass on people filling this out next month, I'd go with when did you replace an HR20:

Never or not this year.
Jan, 2007
Feb
March
April
May
June
July
August

Cheers,
Tom

Set 'er up :)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#59 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

I understand what you and others have said. But the fact that customers were told to return the unit (even if it was due to a software problem) still are a reality. D* made the decision to have CSRs go the return route as opposed to telling customers they couldn't do anything about their problems. In my book, that counts as a return.

It's starting to read to me that you have a certain point you're trying to make ... By not excluding the abnormal return rates from rollout in August 2006 through February 2007, you are skewing the results and it may be very easy to dismiss the poll results, despite the point you're trying to make.

I'm guessing you're not looking to establish the current state of reliability for the HR20 ...

#60 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

I have 3...took 9 to get them. Bad Tuners, and lockups were the primary reasons.

spam firewall