Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Have you had to return your HR20 for a replacement?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you had to return your HR20 for a replacement? (165 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you had to return your HR20 for a replacement?

1. I have not had to return my HR20. (106 votes [64.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.24%

2. I have had to return my HR20 and received a replacement. (59 votes [35.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.76%

Vote

#81 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:58 AM

Players can't have a mediocre first year, change a few things under a good coach, have a great couple years and sign a monster bonus? :)

Of course they can, but their lifetime stats are their lifetime stats. They don't get to have the mediocre years removed from the record.

I guess I don't understand how knowing the first 4 months of a product's life is really applicable to your experience if you didn't suffer thru those first four months yourself. YP(erception)MV, I guess.

It goes towards how the company performs, its decision making, and its strategies. When I buy a product, I'm choosing to reward a company for its efforts. If the product turns out to be a lemon, then that company has failed to uphold their end of the deal and has not made good on their promise.

Do you want to buy from a company that puts out a not-ready-for-primetime product and relies on you to help fix it? Or do want to buy from a company that thoroughly tests a product and makes sure it's right before putting in the hands of its customers?

The full history is important.
D* shipped junk to the early customers, but they did stand behind their promise and made a decent effort to make things right.

They are still shipping junk to some of us. To me, that means they haven't learned their lesson very well, and they're greedy.

Getting back to the analogy, I think at this point the HR20 is Darryl Strawberry.

It can be one of the best there is, but it can also be something you really can't rely on very much.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   dpfaunts

dpfaunts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

No replacements 1st HR20 in October 06 2nd June 07 No real problems, no real complaints
Darryle

HR24-100 HDMI Samsung 85687W
HR22-100 Component Samsung HLN4365W
HR21-700 HDMI Vizio SV370XVT
HR20-100 SVID Panasonic CRT
SLIMLINE (SL3) SWM
DirecTV 8/98

#83 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:05 AM

What model and what software version are you running?
With a new version rolling out now for the -700, and one in the near horizon for the -100... you may want to wait to see if anything in the update corrects the issue.

hr20-100 with version 0168 The thing is the channels were coming in fine (on one tuner apparantly) for the first few days, and now after a power off (disconnect) most of them won't tune in at all - even with strong signal showing.

#84 OFFLINE   ljnskywalker

ljnskywalker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

6 mo. and no problems!!!

#85 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

My first 4 were installed in Feb 07. I had a problem with one that was my error on the set-up. D* helped me on the phone and all was corrected. The last two I installed in July 07 were refurbished from D*. They came in generic boxes and with the teeny weeny button remote. I haven't sent any back.
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#86 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

Of course they can, but their lifetime stats are their lifetime stats. They don't get to have the mediocre years removed from the record.

OK, so which is it? Are you saying we should take the body of work of DIRECTV as a whole or the HR20 as a single product. You are interchanging your words about DIRECTV as a company and the HR20 as a product, but it seems that you are really just talking about the HR20 as a product.

I for one have been so happy with DIRECTV as a company that I am able to overlook the dark period of the HR20. After all, in the body of work of DIRECTV it was just a few short months. DIRECTV took corrective action and at the end of the day was better for it.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#87 OFFLINE   korkle

korkle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

My THIRD box should arrive today. I just had an install last Thursday (719/07) The first box he tried to install would not even power up. Brought in a second and by Sunday it was rebooting, freezing, loosing programing, etc. Called and D* said they were sending out a new one and should be here Tuesday. Two bad boxes in a row does not leave me with comfortable feeling.

#88 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:14 AM

So what are you really wanting to find out with this poll?
The horror stories of last fall or what you might expect out of your four week old DVR?
If it's the latter, then I'd say it would be like most electronics, if it makes it through the initial burn-in time without failure, then you should be good to go for a long time.
You have 90 days of free service calls & replacements if yours fails or there is some problem with your install.
After that time you shouldn't have a problem under normal use.
The units are made in Mexico & China, both plants have had some problems.
I have no idea of what the numbers are [percentages, or yields]. I just try to keep track of trends that look like bad "batches" for a specific problem.

You quoted my original post. I'll quote it again...

I've only had mine for 4 weeks, but wondering how many have had to get replacement units?

That's it. I don't have a point to make and I'm not looking for anything other than what I asked.
HR20-100
HR20-700
DTivos

#89 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

[/INDENT]This more truly reflects the status of the poll respondents. In my case, I would choose N/A for 1, 2, and 3, and would then choose NO for the rest.

If you feel this poll is giving the HR20 a undeserved black eye feel free to start a more detailed poll.
HR20-100
HR20-700
DTivos

#90 OFFLINE   jimbob5150

jimbob5150

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

I had an HR20-100 installed Saturday at about noon. By 3 p.m., I was on the phone ordering a replacement.

#91 OFFLINE   deweybroncos

deweybroncos

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

They are sending me out a replacement tomorrow. Mine quit receiving the HD channels on 119 so I only get half my HD's right now.

#92 OFFLINE   pcates

pcates

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

I have had to have two replaced in the last three months. They were both taken out in thunderstorms that also knocked out the electricity. The first had no voltage output on the satellite connection, the second had voltage and good signal but always gave searching for satellite message. Not something I blame on the boxes.

#93 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

I don't have a point to make and I'm not looking for anything other than what I asked.

I've posted twice what I believe was honest info and hopefully helpful.
Now I just have to wonder about the timing of starting this "poll" after your on going debate with Earl in that other thread.
I'm not a "D* shill" as others have been accused of. I try to understand the motivation or agenda of some threads & posters.
Most members come for help or to give help.
Others seem to have another agenda to promote.
My two cents.
Please keep posting your two cents, to keep this an open forum.
A.K.A VOS

#94 OFFLINE   birdman1

birdman1

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

I had to replace my first HR-20 after about two months. I’m not sure what was wrong with it. (I hadn’t discovered this forum yet) My 2nd HR-20 was replaced because the no. 2 tuner went out.

#95 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

My HR20 stopped working at Christmastime. The replacement was handled professionally and I got a new, non-refurbished HR20 which continues to work better and better.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#96 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

Do they normally just send a replacement unit via freight, or do they normally send a tech out? In my case the lady scheduled a tech to come out.

She even said there would be no charge as it was still under warranty, and I thought - huh - isn't this a leased unit???

#97 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

Do they normally just send a replacement unit via freight, or do they normally send a tech out? In my case the lady scheduled a tech to come out.

She even said there would be no charge as it was still under warranty, and I thought - huh - isn't this a leased unit???

The one time I needed a replacement for my TiVo HR10-250 that I had a TECH came out and said you need a replacement just like I told the TECH over the phone I did. Then the sent me a replacement and a prepaid shipping box for FedEx to send the old unit back.

#98 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:00 AM

I figured it might go down that way...

#99 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

I suggest that this thread/poll be closed and the conversation continued in the new thread.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#100 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:17 AM

Yes this thread has been replaced and should be closed.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall