Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Known Issue: Audio drops and/or pixelation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TheGolfBallKid

TheGolfBallKid

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:05 PM

Sorry to put this in a new thread, but I believe it warranted it. After spending the past 3 weeks w/ audio dropouts and pixelation on National HD feeds (70-79) and working w/ the service technicians via phone, a local tech came out and checked the system today. He was unable to find anything and the issues popped back up again this evening on ESPN2 HD.

Called into Directv via their 800 number this evening and was transferred to service. I spent about 35 minutes on the phone w/ one of their techs, Jamie, and he said a publication was given to the techs on Saturday indicating that there is either a broadcast issue or software issue that is causing the problem. My case was escalated to one of their engineers and they are supposed to be calling me on Thursday to troubleshoot the system again and verify that the issue still exists.

I know this is isn't the most comforting news, but at least there is a recognition by them that something is askew w/ the service and they're attempting to rectify it. I'll post more after I've had the next round of conversations.

In the meantime, for those of you experiencing these same issues (and there's a couple of threads dedicated to it) you may want to call into Directv service and validate that what I was told is indeed the case. This will NOT be an issue of which the tier 1 CSR's are aware to my knowledge. You'll want to speak to the next level of technicians.

Feel free to post any conversations any of you have so that we can determine the validity of their stories.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   UTVLamented

UTVLamented

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:09 PM

Hallelujah!!!!
1 HR-20 700
1 HR-20 100
1 DTivo Series 1
1 DTivo Series 2

#3 OFFLINE   bobcpa

bobcpa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Golfballkid....thank you so much for posting. I had posted in another thread that I thought that DirectTV may know about the problem but that they didn't want to go public out of fear it could affect the sign up of new subscribers. Let's see what happens over the next week or so.

#4 OFFLINE   pdawg17

pdawg17

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Great post...I've been having horrible problems tonight with ch. 96 AND ESPN...both have audio hiccups and weird squirmy wormy pixelation...it happens every few seconds so it's very irritating...

UPDATE: I also have the same problems with ch. 74 and 76 (TNT ch 75 does not appear to have the problem though?)

#5 OFFLINE   hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

I listen to Big Tracks on XM often and I get audio droputs all the time.

#6 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

Quick ? - do you guys have the 700 or the 100?

#7 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:09 AM

HR20-700...

I have had audio drops when returning to live TV after trickplay on MPEG-4 locals since day 1 (Oct 06). I report it with almost every release.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   w84mike

w84mike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

This problem had escalated for me as well over last week and I, too, was getting dropouts every minute on some channels. I posted about it here and someone suggested removing the broadband converters. I had had those off for the first several months (had the 720 since early September), but had put them back in February when it was reported that it was safe to do so. So I was amazed this past Sunday when I removed them again and the audio dropouts/pixelation all but disappeared - none now in many shows and no more than one in a few shows I've watched since then. So you might want to try removing your BBC's just to see if it helps any. Ironically, I had just received an email from DirecTV advising me to make sure I had BBC's and if I didn't to be sure to order some since they'd be needed by fall. I suppose it's possible that one of my BBC's suddenly went bad, so I just ordered two new ones anyway - they're free.

Hope that helps - the advice to remove the BBC's sure helped me.

Mike
Mike
HR24-100, Native On, Harmony ONE remote,
Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma TV, connected to HR24 via HDMI thru
Pioneer VSX-919AH AV receiver, connected to HR24 via HDMI
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player, Sony PlayStation 3

#9 OFFLINE   THX

THX

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

Do you think this might have something to do with the fact that the BBC's are shipped in a box that literally bends the coaxial cables 90 degrees? I always thought bends in coax of that nature would doom the cable for sure. If so, maybe Directv has a much bigger problem on their hand with millions of bad BBC's out there. Thoughts?

#10 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

I don't think that the bend in the BBCs is the culprit here, but I will tell you that the H21 I am testing came with a new BBC which shipped with the cable completely straight. You can look at a picture in the General DIRECTV Discussion forum, H21 First Look.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   Pluvious

Pluvious

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

I'm somewhat new to the equipment. What do the BBC's do and why are they needed this Fall?

#12 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

I'm somewhat new to the equipment. What do the BBC's do and why are they needed this Fall?

They will allow your HR20 or H20 receive lower frequencies. The new MPEG4 HD channels will be on the lower frequencies.

#13 OFFLINE   Pluvious

Pluvious

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

Thx!

#14 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

Do you think this might have something to do with the fact that the BBC's are shipped in a box that literally bends the coaxial cables 90 degrees? I always thought bends in coax of that nature would doom the cable for sure. If so, maybe Directv has a much bigger problem on their hand with millions of bad BBC's out there. Thoughts?

I don't think that is the solution to this problem, but yes, that bend is VERY bad. Couple that with the fact there is nearly no braid coverage in the coax they used to make the BBCs, and you have a formula for certain failure. As Lamont noted, the ones we get for the H21 were in "straight" condition, as was the replacement that I got when the one that came with the H21 was bad out of the box (would pass no signals at all)

I would be VERY CAREFUL about how the BBC connector mates with the HR20. I've seen four of them now that are mis-threaded to the point that it is impossible to get a reliable contact from them. I chopped all mine off and put on high quality compression fittings.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#15 OFFLINE   UTVLamented

UTVLamented

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:53 PM

My case was escalated to one of their engineers and they are supposed to be calling me on Thursday to troubleshoot the system again and verify that the issue still exists.

GolfBallKid - did Directv call you back? What was the result?
1 HR-20 700
1 HR-20 100
1 DTivo Series 1
1 DTivo Series 2

#16 OFFLINE   Dave_S

Dave_S

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

Very interesting. Ever since my units have downloaded 0x168 I have had pixelation and 771 errors on my HD locals. The latest SW 0x17E(?) has not been any better. While the picture is totally pixelated and 771 flashing on the screen I will check the signal strengths and they will be at 95% for both tuners. Hopefully they get this sorted before the NFL season starts or I will be calling them out here daily until it gets fixed or they drop me as a customer.

AU-9 SlimLine dish connected to SWM-16
HR44 - Connected to Panasonic TH-50PZ700U Plasma by HDMI
C41 - Connected to Sharp 32" LCD by HDMI.

#17 OFFLINE   pprather

pprather

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Very interesting. Ever since my units have downloaded 0x168 I have had pixelation and 771 errors on my HD locals. The latest SW 0x17E(?) has not been any better. While the picture is totally pixelated and 771 flashing on the screen I will check the signal strengths and they will be at 95% for both tuners. Hopefully they get this sorted before the NFL season starts or I will be calling them out here daily until it gets fixed or they drop me as a customer.

I agree. I've had this problem on the HD channels (70-79) on both tuners for some time. Sometimes it's fine sometimes not. I've perfomed signal meter test on the various sats and transponders and always get in the mid 90's or above. D*......fix this F-ing problem.

#18 OFFLINE   Pluvious

Pluvious

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

I can't imagine the outrage when these pixel problems start to happen durring the NFL.. "He's in the redzone.. going up for the catch!"........zap.

spam firewall