Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 vs. R10 SD Picture Quality

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wmp

wmp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

Just had the HR20 installed today. HD channels look amazing.

But, the SD picture quality compared to my R10 (Directv Tivo) unit is ALOT fuzzier. I've treid every combination of native on/off, different resolutions enabled and disabled, but the picture quality has really dropped off.

I have a Panasonic 7UY 42" set. I leave it in "full" mode.

Any advice would be appreciated. I did search the forum, and found a few threads and tried the things that seemed to work for others.

But my conclusion is something in the HR20 is worse than the R10.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richard L Bray

Richard L Bray

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

Just had the HR20 installed today. HD channels look amazing.

But, the SD picture quality compared to my R10 (Directv Tivo) unit is ALOT fuzzier. I've treid every combination of native on/off, different resolutions enabled and disabled, but the picture quality has really dropped off.

I have a Panasonic 7UY 42" set. I leave it in "full" mode.

Any advice would be appreciated. I did search the forum, and found a few threads and tried the things that seemed to work for others.

But my conclusion is something in the HR20 is worse than the R10.

I have a 60" SXRD. I've used an HR10-250 since they came out. Had two HR20-100's installed last week.

I use the HR20 to upconvert SD to 1080i and feed it via HDMI to the SXRD. I believe the picture quality is basically the same. My wife believes the SD picture is a little better.

I have one problem with the HR 20's. They won't "acquire" OTA Cleveland 3-1 (digital channel 2). Otherwise, I'm amazed by the fact that both my wife and I like them better than the HD Tivo.

#3 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

Did you have the R10 hooked to the same TV as the HR20? In my estamation the HR20 does as good a job, or a little better, than my SD receivers. I have the best results with native on and let my TV do the scaling. SD will always look better in a 4x3 format. Anytime you take poor resolution and make it bigger, well it just gets worse. IMHO
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   wmp

wmp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

Did you have the R10 hooked to the same TV as the HR20? In my estamation the HR20 does as good a job, or a little better, than my SD receivers. I have the best results with native on and let my TV do the scaling. SD will always look better in a 4x3 format. Anytime you take poor resolution and make it bigger, well it just gets worse. IMHO

The only difference is that the HR20 is connected to my set using component cables. The R10 was connected via S-video cable. I used to be able to stretch the R10 picture on my set and it still looked great.

It looks poor from the HR20 regardless of whether I feed the native 480i picture to the TV or upconvert it first to 720p or 1080i.

I have the TV type setting in the HR 20 set to 16:9 - which was the same way I had it set in the R10.

#5 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

The difference may be the TV. Try hooking the HR20 to the S-Vid input for a few days. I know my TV does some image enhancement based on the resolution of the feed. For me I use native because the SD stuff looks better when the HR20 puts it out at 480i.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

I actually have an R10 right next to my HR20. The HR20's SD quality is better then the R10.

R10 is via S-Video and HR20 via component. I have the HR20 set to 1080i and I just leave it at that.

Every TV is different so everyone will have different results.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

For me, HR20 is superior to R10. I actually prefer using native off and get overall more pleasing picture quality that way.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall