Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Category sort

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

What is the best way to display only HDTV movies?

I used the guide filter to show only HDTV channels and then I used category sort: movies, but that did not work. It showed all movies on all channels, not just the HDTV channels like I wanted.

Thanks for any help.

-mk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:27 PM

There are a couple of ways to show only movies, and a couple of ways to show only HighDef, but I'm not sure about combining them.

To show HIGH-DEF in the Guide format:

(a) Guide > Menu > Category Sort > High-Def
(B) Guide > Guide > Channel {Page} Down > HDTV Channels.

You can also go to Search and create a Keyword search selecting only "SPC" in th input screen, and then selecting a Category like "Show Types > High Def" or "Movies" and then an optional subcategory.

I can't figure out a way to combine the two yet*, but if you use the Search option, you can create several different types of searches and get back to them using the Search > Recent Search option.

*I just tried a sample Keyword search on SPC with category HighDef, and right now the only subcategory is "All". Makes me think that someday there could be other subcategories ... maybe "Sports", "Movies", etc.
To show HIGH-DEF

#3 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Seems like you ran into the same problems I did.

Seem like if you filter to only HDTV channels, then category sort should use that filter.

If I come up with something I'll post it.

-mk

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

You make a good point.

What if you used one of your favorites lists as HD only programming and then filtered by movies?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

I just tried what lamontcranston suggested with mixed results, but the good news is there's an answer that will satisfy the OP! Thanks, LC!

Using an HD-only channel list, the following returns movies OUTSIDE of your current list of HD channels: Guide > Menu > Categories > Movies > Adult. I chose ADULT because I knew I dont' have those channels in my HD Fav list, yet I saw tons of titles of adult programs.

However, the following DOES work: Guide > Guide > Movies. This honors the current FAV setting, showing only results that are on the channels in the current FAV list.

Note: I have my HR20 set to show the Guide first, and the filter screen second, so you may have only to press the Guide button once if your filter screen comes up first.

#6 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

What if you used one of your favorites lists as HD only programming and then filtered by movies?

You know what? That's what I am going to do. I currently use the 2 favorites (is there a way to get more then 2?), as TV and Music.

Music is all the XM channels, but I dont use it too much.

So I guess I'll make a HDTV favorite list and go to movies filter like Drew suggested.

Thanks.

-mk

ps I can actually add the HDTV channels to the music favorite list and it should still work.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:40 PM

It's my pleasure to help :)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Actually it doesn't work. I guess it's a bug.

If I do the above suggestions and then go guide>guide>movie and event channels

It will just show a couple of channels in the guide.

Pretty much worthless.

I would like a list, like they show after a category sort that shows all the HD Movies.

Can't make it happen.

It must be a bug, probably related to the CIR bug, because if I make a HDTV favorites list and then do a category sort: movies, all the movies (over 11000) are listed.

At the bottom of the list it shows: "HDTV, Movies" Which it clearly is not.

-mk

spam firewall