Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My new H20-100 has a bad tuner I think

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

I am kicking myself, I wasn't paying close attention but I thought I heard the installer say something about a bad tuner. Then he said "oh nevermind".

So now 3 hours later I am playing with the thing and it's recording a show, but when I try to change the channel, I get a screen showing that it's recording and it says there are no more available tuners.

I went back into the set up real quick and when I go to the first satellite (101 I believe) the first tuner shows values for all the transponders, but when I go to the second tuner, no values show up until it gets down towards the end of the transponders.

What the heck?

Is this puppy broke? Gosh dang it, how do I get it replaced? I have no idea how to contact the installer. I guess I'll be dialing through the Directv voicemail system tomorrow. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

Have you run thru guided setup again and make sure you've told it you have both tuners connected?
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

I am kicking myself, I wasn't paying close attention but I thought I heard the installer say something about a bad tuner. Then he said "oh nevermind".

So now 3 hours later I am playing with the thing and it's recording a show, but when I try to change the channel, I get a screen showing that it's recording and it says there are no more available tuners.

I went back into the set up real quick and when I go to the first satellite (101 I believe) the first tuner shows values for all the transponders, but when I go to the second tuner, no values show up until it gets down towards the end of the transponders.

What the heck?

Is this puppy broke? Gosh dang it, how do I get it replaced? I have no idea how to contact the installer. I guess I'll be dialing through the Directv voicemail system tomorrow. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Swap the cables and see if the issue jumps to the other tuner. If so, it could be loose cables, a bad multiswitch, etc. If the problem stays with the same tuner, then you probably do have a bad tuner. Call D*, and they will either send out a replacement directly to you, or send one out with a tech.

#4 OFFLINE   CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:17 PM

Swap the cables and see if the issue jumps to the other tuner. If so, it could be loose cables, a bad multiswitch, etc. If the problem stays with the same tuner, then you probably do have a bad tuner. Call D*, and they will either send out a replacement directly to you, or send one out with a tech.

Thanks, I will go give it a try now.

I had to leave the room for a minute and come here to the study because I was getting frustrated! :rolleyes:

Be right back.

#5 OFFLINE   CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, I can swap RG6 cables and the show that's on will go off for a second and come back on after the swap. When I try to change channels, it still says live-tv conflict.

I went through the set up again and I get the same thing during the signal test... 101 works fine for all transponders for the first tuner, but the second tuner doesn't start showing any values until the last row of transponders.

I feel like an idiot, I tipped the installer $20, and now I think he knew something was wrong.

#6 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

Deleted.... I had a brain cramp.

AT9 to SWM16

#7 OFFLINE   CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

But this is happening on both receivers right?

I am sorry, I am not sure what you mean.

There is a show on right now that is being recorded. When I try to change the channel it tells me I have a live-tv conflict.

I've switched the RG6 cables while its recording and the picture comes back and it still won't let me change the channel without the warning, making me think both cables coming in are ok (btw, they were both ok 3 hours ago when they were plugged into my HR10-250.

I went through the set up again. When it gets to the signal strengths, I get values for all transponders for receiver 1. When I hit the + to go the receiver 2, I get 0s until it gets to the bottom row of the transponders.

#8 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

My apologies..... :sure: :( .

Wrong thread. I get too bouncing around, I lost track of which thread i was responding in.

Sorry.

AT9 to SWM16

#9 OFFLINE   CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

My apologies..... :sure: :( .

Wrong thread. I get too bouncing around, I lost track.

Sorry.

Heheh, no problem. :D

#10 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

I had the same problem...red button reset solved the problem.

#11 OFFLINE   CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

I had the same problem...red button reset solved the problem.

Thanks, BRB!!!

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

Thanks, BRB!!!

When it boots up it looks for the SAT feeds and auto-detects how many are connected.
Sound like there was only one connected when your "idiot" booted the receiver & then connected the second coax.
The power cord should ALWAYS be the last cable connected.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

I tried the red reset and now I have different results.

I don't know how to switch between tuners, so what I am doing is hitting the record button when I see a program on. Then when I key in a new channel number, it says "cannot find signal on sat input 2, 771"

Another odd thing is that when I am not recording and changing channels on the tuner that's working, some channels aren't working now, such as our local ABC in HD (over the sat). It was working earlier and I was recording from it, but now when I tune it in, I get the 771 message.

I am extremely frustrated and quitting for the night. I didn't think the switch from Tivo would be this hard... hopefully it's a hardware issue that can be corrected with a box swap. :nono2:

Thanks for everyone's help.

#14 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

I tried the red reset and now I have different results.

I don't know how to switch between tuners, so what I am doing is hitting the record button when I see a program on. Then when I key in a new channel number, it says "cannot find signal on sat input 2, 771"

Another odd thing is that when I am not recording and changing channels on the tuner that's working, some channels aren't working now, such as our local ABC in HD (over the sat). It was working earlier and I was recording from it, but now when I tune it in, I get the 771 message.

I am extremely frustrated and quitting for the night. I didn't think the switch from Tivo would be this hard... hopefully it's a hardware issue that can be corrected with a box swap. :nono2:

Thanks for everyone's help.

So far it sounds like you have a cabling problem.
Tomorrow, swap the coax without any recordings and see what happens.
If the box "thinks" it has two coax feeds, when you change channels [with no recording] it swaps tuners on each channel change. If you have one recording, then that "locks" that tuner and changing channels will use the other tuner [if the receiver thinks there are two connected at boot-up].
Take a break, come back and we can walk you through the steps to see what is wrong [the box or a poor installation].
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Shoot, is Directv tech support hard to work with? I am not looking forward to spending tons of time on the phone with them trying different things. :rolleyes:

#16 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Shoot, is Directv tech support hard to work with? I am not looking forward to spending tons of time on the phone with them trying different things. :rolleyes:

I'd think using the brain trust here would be easier than calling D*.
We can give you the steps to do to find out where it is.
Since this was just installed, you can call D* and tell them it isn't working right and they need to send out another tech [for free] to fix what they should have done the first time.
I had them out four or five times until they got it right. Now it been fine for a year.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

I had all the above problems. I tried all the above solutions with no results. I ended up with just all even transponders on Sat 2. Exchanged the reciever at Best Buy where I bought it, BINGO, problem solved!

Bad Tuner!!
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

#18 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

I had all the above problems. I tried all the above solutions with no results. I ended up with just all even transponders on Sat 2. Exchanged the receiver at Best Buy where I bought it, BINGO, problem solved!
Bad Tuner!!

There are bad tuners out there, but checking the cables is a good thing to do before replacing a receiver and then find it's the same problem. If you read another thread, you'll see replacement didn't help.
As you said you tried all of the steps first & then replaced the receiver.
One must check the basics to "know" what the problem is. :)
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

There are bad tuners out there, but checking the cables is a good thing to do before replacing a receiver and then find it's the same problem. If you read another thread, you'll see replacement didn't help.
As you said you tried all of the steps first & then replaced the receiver.
One must check the basics to "know" what the problem is. :)

Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me? ;)

(See post #3)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...