Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Getting HD locals via DTV or OTA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vachief

vachief

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

I will soon be upgrading to HD and I was wondering if there is any difference in the quality of picture that I will get between getting my locals from DTV or getting them OTA via an antenna. If it matters, I am in the Washington DC metro area.

WIll DTV give you a free antenna when they upgrade your dish/receiver if you ask?
If not, would the installer install it for you if you purchase one before they come out?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,009 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:23 PM

As to quality, some will argue ota is better because there is less compression involved. Will you notice a difference in your viewing? Hard to say.

As to quantity, almost all markets have more ota stations than what DirecTV offers, and many markets have more HD locals than DirecTV offers (such as PBS). So you will probably have access to more local stations using an OTA antenna. Whether or not they are stations that matter to you is a different question.

DirecTV will almost certainly not provide an ota antenna. An installer may or may not be willing to put it up. They don't get paid for doing that, so a polite request accompanied by a gratuity might make it happen.

However, the other issue with ota is that you will also need a separate coax cable for it. You will have to negotiate with the installer to see if you can get that done.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:07 AM

As carl6 said with a OTA you will have a few more HD local channels. But as far as the quality goes. To me if OTA is a 10 out of 10. Then DIRECTV MPEG4 is a 9.5 out of 10. I don't even use my OTA anymore.

#4 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:41 AM

The only OTA channels I use are the ones not carried by D*. The D* HD channels are MPEG4 and use less disk space for recording than the OTA (MPEG2) channels do. I flipped between the two and there is no difference in the Phoenix D*/OTA to me

#5 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Also keep in mind directionality of signal. Check out this web site to determine what kind of antenna you need and in which direction it should be pointed.

http://www.antennawe...aw/Address.aspx
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#6 OFFLINE   stiffi

stiffi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

I will soon be upgrading to HD and I was wondering if there is any difference in the quality of picture that I will get between getting my locals from DTV or getting them OTA via an antenna. If it matters, I am in the Washington DC metro area.

WIll DTV give you a free antenna when they upgrade your dish/receiver if you ask?
If not, would the installer install it for you if you purchase one before they come out?

If I were you, I'd get the locals from DTV and use an indoor antenna to pick up the extra OTA stations you won't get from DTV. I noticed you're in DC. With the area being pretty flat, you can probably pick up a few stations with an indoor antenna.

I personally have both, but I had a roof antenna to start with. The only thing I use the antenna for now, is to get the network sub-channels to occasionally check the live weather. I think if I could pick up 1 network with an indoor antenna, (just to watch the live weather) I would be happy with that, along with the DTV locals.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...