Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Leaving the HR20 on all the time. Is that OK?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FreddyC

FreddyC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

I looked around and didn't find a thread on this, but I'm sure it's probably been asked. The old TIVO I had just stayed on. Is it OK to leave the HR20 on, or should it be powered on and off? Does anyone think it matters?

Thanks for your help. Freddy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:52 AM

It never really turns off, just powers down the outputs and the front panel lights. Someone on the forum checked the wattage and it was something like 45 watts "on" and 39 watts "off". Actually better to turn it off (standby) so it can concentrate on running some of its maintainence programs.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:53 AM

Unless you unplug it, your HR20 is always "on". It goes into a "standby mode" when you "turn it off", but actually stayes powered up anyway. This is so that the unit can promptly kick in to record any scheduled programming.

Some have their units powered up all the time, while others power them down when not in use. Either is fine. More important, in either case, the units are "on".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Carbon

Carbon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:07 AM

It never really turns off, just powers down the outputs and the front panel lights. Someone on the forum checked the wattage and it was something like 45 watts "on" and 39 watts "off". Actually better to turn it off (standby) so it can concentrate on running some of its maintainence programs.

Does it really do maintenance? I thought that it took care of all then whenever it restarted after a software download.

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:11 AM

My understanding that it was an ongoing process; anyone with more details please chime in.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:38 AM

I looked around and didn't find a thread on this, but I'm sure it's probably been asked. The old TIVO I had just stayed on. Is it OK to leave the HR20 on, or should it be powered on and off? Does anyone think it matters?

Thanks for your help. Freddy

I leave mine "on" all the time - that is, I never use the remote's or the front panel's power button, so my HR20s are never in standby.

#7 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

My understanding that it was an ongoing process; anyone with more details please chime in.

Yes it does, but if you don't have the HR20 recording all through the night, it does its maintenance just as well with it "on" as it does in standby. As others noted, the HR20 is never really off. I run mine 24/7 on, always have.

BTW, I got the 0x17E national update last night...came down to my Blue Ring of Death brightly lit up this morning....trusty ol' upgrade detector works again!:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:12 AM

Let us not forget that "its-not-off-its-in-standby" also applies to our TVs, AVRs, VCRs, DVD players, standard sat receivers, and anything else that is controlled by remote.

It is not really specific to the HR20, and not unusual with today's equipment.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:15 AM

Let us not forget that "its-not-off-its-in-standby" also applies to our TVs, AVRs, VCRs, DVD players, standard sat receivers, and anything else that is controlled by remote.

It is not really specific to the HR20, and not unusual with today's equipment.

Good point, although the power draw in "standby" might not be the same as the HR20, where ON vs. Standby is only a watt or two different.

BTW, my Onkyo HT receiver, when "put in standby"...really shuts down...including all video processing/switching...so it stays on all the time too, and it DEFINITELY draws lots of current when on (with no fan on it, I could cook an egg on top of it).

The HDTV draws just a tiny amount of power...and the large bulb for the DLP is obviously off.

As I think about it, most devices that I have are not like the HR20...the only thing that seems to be powered in these other devices when in "standby" or "off", is the IR processing circuitry to allow it to be turned on (and the backup memory that holds user settings). Very few have nearly full functionality when "off", like the HR20.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

As posted above the unit is never really off unless you pull the power cord. Putting it into standby only turns the lights and the outputs off.

I have had 2 of mine since September and never turned them off until about a month ago. Now I turn them off maybe 5 to 10 hours a week. But I have never had a problem.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

Good point, although the power draw in "standby" might not be the same as the HR20, where ON vs. Standby is only a watt or two different.

I know that someone else put a meter on the thing and determined the power draw was about the same but my empirical results suggest otherwise.

I conducted this test some time ago, when the ambient temperature was 70. The DVR is in a closed cabinet with a USB fan.

Unused, in standby, the temp was 111 upon being awoken.
Turned on, hands off the remote for 15 minutes, the temp was 113.
Using trickplay, menus, etc. in a normal way for 15 minutes, the temp was 115.
Put in standby again and left that way for 30 minutes, the temp was 111 after being awoken.

This extra heat has to come from somewhere, it cannot spontaneously appear. It's reasonable to suspect that the DVR is putting out more heat because it is using more power.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

I turn mine off when I am done with it each night.

No idea if that actually helps or not BUT I have had no problems with my HR20 doing this so far.

#13 OFFLINE   mgroups

mgroups

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

I tune my HR20 to one of the music channels before turning it off. The theory is that the hard drive won't work as hard because it won't record music channels. Just a theory, I really don't know if it makes any difference.

spam firewall