Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best learning universal remote for RF for HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gdg76

gdg76

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:09 AM

When I had my HR20 installed, I bought an adapter and ran coax back out to the coax "patch panel" outside. With a five way splitter, I was able to run to every room in the house. I also ran a component cable down to the basement for my projector so every room can view the HR20.

I love this setup (we never watch more than 1 show at a time and the HR20 is our only receiver) and love the RF on the HR20. However, I'd rather just carry one remote to all the rooms and the HR20 remote only has 3 possible components. I have 4 TVs, two stereos, and a projector I'd like to be able to control.

The MX-600 looks perfect for what I need- will it's RF capabilities learn from the HR20 remote? Everything I've read seems to use RF for "RF to IR" capabilites- just want to be sure it can learn natively..

Also, is there any other remote better than the MX600? I have the MX500 and love it but am open to other opinions. My other option is to just always carry both the HR20 remote and the 500, but I'd rather not...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

No 3rd party remote can control the HR20 (or any newer model DTV receiver), via RF.

You would need a 3rd party remote, that converts THEIR RF to IR.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

No 3rd party remote can control the HR20 (or any newer model DTV receiver), via RF.

You would need a 3rd party remote, that converts THEIR RF to IR.

Hey Earl,

Are you saying the Harmony 890 can't control the HR20? I would think that even if they didn't have the RF codes on the website it should still be able to "learn" them (or does it not have the capability of learning RF commands?).
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:41 AM

That's what Earl is saying. I got the same answer from Logitech.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   LandShark22

LandShark22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:42 AM

Hey Earl,

Are you saying the Harmony 890 can't control the HR20? I would think that even if they didn't have the RF codes on the website it should still be able to "learn" them (or does it not have the capability of learning RF commands?).

The 890 can control the HR20. The 890 sends out RF to a receiver, which then translates that signal to IR that gets sent to your components. So from the HR20's perspective, it's technically receiving IR signals, not RF signals. Sorry that's not very clear. I'm sure someone can explain it better.

#6 OFFLINE   gdg76

gdg76

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. If I was going to upgrade, I would want it to handle the RF natively. If that's not an option, I'll just carry the MX500 and HR20 remote. Will save me $100 too :)

#7 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

RF universal remotes are IR only controlling remotes but use their on RF frequencies to do it from afar.

The mx-600 doesn't have the preset code for the current line directv receiver and would need to be taught the commands.

Newer RF remotes in the URC line of remotes include the RF10, RF20, and RF30. The preset code for the directv receivers is SAT 173 in each.
aka Tivoburkee

#8 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

The 890 can control the HR20. The 890 sends out RF to a receiver, which then translates that signal to IR that gets sent to your components. So from the HR20's perspective, it's technically receiving IR signals, not RF signals. Sorry that's not very clear. I'm sure someone can explain it better.

Makes perfect sense, I was not fully aware how the 890 worked...just knew it was RF capable (I have the 880).
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#9 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

Use any universal remote you want.

Get the one with the features you want.

Then go buy this:
http://www.buy.com/p.../201967610.html

I've used it for a week and it is truly better than sliced bread.

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

Then go buy this:
http://www.buy.com/p.../201967610.html

He's right...this little thing is amazing.

#11 OFFLINE   gdg76

gdg76

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

Then go buy this:

How does it work? I put the flying saucer looking thing in my living room and that sprays IR received from the remote? What is the thing that attaches to my remote and how does it work? Will my remote still send out IR too?

#12 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

How does it work? I put the flying saucer looking thing in my living room and that sprays IR received from the remote? What is the thing that attaches to my remote and how does it work? Will my remote still send out IR too?

It's really neat...

You put a replacement "battery" into your remote. They have adapters that will let this battery fit as a AAA or AA. The special battery contains a rechargeable battery and the device itself.

The device detects voltage fluctuations in the battery (I'm sure there's amore technical description of what's going on) and then determines what IR code the the remote is trying to send. It then transmits via RF a command to its base unit (The saucer) which then transmits the proper IR code to the device through an IR emitter (thin wire attached to a little IR head that you place near the IR window on the device).
The saucer itself can also act as an IR blaster which you could just turn towards the device(s) you want to control.

I bought the first version of this thing several years ago because I didn't believe it would work...I mean how could replacing a battery in my remote make it RF capable...but it does....and does it pretty well.

Oh, and yes, if I remember correctly the remote still sends out the native IR as well.

spam firewall