Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A newbee needs advice

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   note2bear

note2bear

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

I'm planning to get Directv very soon, with an HD DVR. I just found out that I can get my own dvr without buying from Directv. One person suggested that I get the hd receiver from Directv, and purchase my own hd dvr. I'm new to all this. What should I do? What should I look for? which hd dvrs are reliable. Do they work with Directv? Please help a newbee out, (preferably without jargon). Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

I'm planning to get Directv very soon, with an HD DVR. I just found out that I can get my own dvr without buying from Directv. One person suggested that I get the hd receiver from Directv, and purchase my own hd dvr. I'm new to all this. What should I do? What should I look for? which hd dvrs are reliable. Do they work with Directv? Please help a newbee out, (preferably without jargon). Thanks.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk

The HD DVR is the HR20. You should at least call DIRECTV first to see if you can get a deal on one from them. If not it does not really matter if you get it from them, from a local retail store, or from a online store. You will need to have them install a 5 LNB dish and if you need more then 4 lines you will need them to install a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch and that would be free. But it does not look like you will since you said 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver. That would only be 3 lines.

#3 OFFLINE   note2bear

note2bear

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

So, I get the H20 from anywhere, and I own it...then I get the service from Directv, and I save $ because the hd dvr is mine. I only lease the receiver, right? I've also seen some dvr's on ebay advertised with the access card. What is it? Does it save me $, or am I headed for trouble?

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:40 PM

So, I get the H20 from anywhere, and I own it...then I get the service from Directv, and I save $ because the hd dvr is mine. I only lease the receiver, right? I've also seen some dvr's on ebay advertised with the access card. What is it? Does it save me $, or am I headed for trouble?

It does not matter where you get the HD DVR and the HD receiver from. They will be leased unless you pay $800 for the HD DVR and I am not sure how much it is to own a HD receiver.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...