Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA antenna questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ferretguydave

Ferretguydave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new here and have some questions.

I am getting the HR20 with the 5 LNB dish installed in two weeks. I presently have the H10-250 which will be moved to the new bedroom LCD TV. I keep reading that the HR20 gives me LOCAL HD channels. Now here is the sticky bit. I am in Central New Jersey, the closest city to me is Philly (1/2 hour drive) however, due to the ways things have been set up (FCC or whoever) the 'local' channels I presently get on DTV are from NYC (1.5 hour drive). Less than 1 mile across the mighty Delaware River in PA they get the Philly channels. Now, will this new 5 LNB allow me to get the Philly OTA channels? Or do I need another antenna? (I've been avoiding another, taller antenna due to lightning fears.) Or will I still be getting the 'local' NYC HD channels that I get now with my H10-250.

Hopefully someone here can straighten me out. Great group, btw!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk

Punch you zip code into the link below and it will tell you if you are able to receive them through DIRECTV or not.

http://directv.com/D...?assetId=900018

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new here and have some questions.

I am getting the HR20 with the 5 LNB dish installed in two weeks. I presently have the H10-250 which will be moved to the new bedroom LCD TV. I keep reading that the HR20 gives me LOCAL HD channels. Now here is the sticky bit. I am in Central New Jersey, the closest city to me is Philly (1/2 hour drive) however, due to the ways things have been set up (FCC or whoever) the 'local' channels I presently get on DTV are from NYC (1.5 hour drive). Less than 1 mile across the mighty Delaware River in PA they get the Philly channels. Now, will this new 5 LNB allow me to get the Philly OTA channels? Or do I need another antenna? (I've been avoiding another, taller antenna due to lightning fears.) Or will I still be getting the 'local' NYC HD channels that I get now with my H10-250.

Hopefully someone here can straighten me out. Great group, btw!

:welcome_s to the forum.
If you're getting NY channels now, I'd figure you will get them in MPEG-4 with the new dish.
OTA means Over The Air, so these don't come through the dish, but from a "plain old antenna". It looks like you will need some form of one of those to get Philly.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:04 PM

:welcome_s to the forum.
If you're getting NY channels now, I'd figure you will get them in MPEG-4 with the new dish.
OTA means Over The Air, so these don't come through the dish, but from a "plain old antenna". It looks like you will need some form of one of those to get Philly.

VOS. I think he is getting the NY locals with waivers.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

VOS. I think he is getting the NY locals with waivers.

You might be right. MPEG-2 feeds may be more liberal there than out here.
It took an act of god to get two waivers here, for the west coast feeds.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

just in case you need more help with choosing a OTA antenna?

http://www.antennawe...aw/welcome.aspx
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#7 OFFLINE   Ferretguydave

Ferretguydave

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

Sadly, I tried to get a waiver to get the Philly locals, but no go. Looks like I'm stuck with NYC locals. Thanks for the help anyway. I'll look into the other antennas. Is my fear of lightning rational or not? :-)

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Sadly, I tried to get a waiver to get the Philly locals, but no go. Looks like I'm stuck with NYC locals. Thanks for the help anyway. I'll look into the other antennas. Is my fear of lightning rational or not? :-)

Rational, sure, but probability comes into play too.
If it's a worry then mount it on a pole away from your house.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Ferretguydave

Ferretguydave

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

I thought of that but there is not too much room on my property for that. Now, my in-laws live next door....hmmmmm.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...