Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Keep Only One Manually Recorded Recurring Show. How?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jacobp

jacobp

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

The Guide lists Headline News in the morning as a 4-hour show. I want to record only 30 minutes of the news. I've setup a recurring 30 minute manual record on the HLN channel so that the unit records 30 minutes every day from 7 to 7:30am.

What I would like is if there is a way to tell the HR20 to only keep one recording so that it keeps overwriting itself (who needs to keep old news). Of course, this option exists if you're setting up a regular Series Link, but this option does not appear to exist for manually recorded shows. Does anyone know how to accomplish what I want to do.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

Alas, that feature disappeared from the manual recurring recording list as DIRECTV fixed other problems with manual recordings. They now have manual recurring recordings grouping correctly, so I hope for a return of this feature.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   dsss

dsss

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:04 AM

So if I understand this correctly, if I set up a recurring manual recording, I cannot cap how many total instances of the show it will record? As an example, due to poor guide data, I want to manually record one copy of the Daily Show per day. I have set my HR 20 to manually record one showing every weekday but unlike my HR10, I cannot seem to find a place to how many total episodes it will keep at five and now have to manually prune extra recording so I don't wind up with 20 episodes of the Daily show taking up hard drive space.
Any help/ideas would be very much appreciated...

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

So if I understand this correctly, if I set up a recurring manual recording, I cannot cap how many total instances of the show it will record? As an example, due to poor guide data, I want to manually record one copy of the Daily Show per day. I have set my HR 20 to manually record one showing every weekday but unlike my HR10, I cannot seem to find a place to how many total episodes it will keep at five and now have to manually prune extra recording so I don't wind up with 20 episodes of the Daily show taking up hard drive space.
Any help/ideas would be very much appreciated...

The Daily Show
is the program I see the most often in discussions about DVR programming (and I have the same problem in my household, and on a couple DVRs as backups!).

The best suggestion I have is to set one manual recurring recording for a M-F showing of The Daily Show, then regularly keep the list clean. Until Comedy Central figures out that DVRs are a good thing and keeping us happy is also a good thing.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

Bah... I was just going to ask whether or not CC had cleaned up their guide info as I was going through the recording setup on our R10 upstairs... I don't think there is any hope for them as this has been an issue for years. :(
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:38 PM

Bah... I was just going to ask whether or not CC had cleaned up their guide info as I was going through the recording setup on our R10 upstairs... I don't think there is any hope for them as this has been an issue for years. :(

Yeah, I get that way. And then I hope the director of programming finally gets a DVR and sees the light. :)

Hey, maybe I'll send him/her one of my old SD DirecTivos. :)

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

#7 OFFLINE   Robert L

Robert L

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

Actually I believe the real answer would be for the HR20 to have a "keep at most" for manual record. Its hard to believe it doesn't but its true. There are quite a few shows that work better with a manual record set.

I cannot seem to get my parents to delete the two manual recordings I had to set , and the shows keep piling up until I check it out and delete them.

#8 OFFLINE   dsss

dsss

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:38 AM

Hi, just cheecking in to see if anyone has any update on this? IMO This is a big piece of missing functionality that forced me to remove my manual recordings from the "to do" list as I was sick of pruning my HR20s. I still have 2 HR10's in the house (and two additional unboxed HR20s waiting to take their place), but it's missing functionality like this that gives me pause about making the final switch.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:42 AM

As of today this has not been fixed, unfortunately.

Manual recurring recordings are being correctly grouped which is a good step forward, but still no retention setting again.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

spam firewall