Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I Want My Dish Back!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

Let me explain.

I made the jump to HDTV in late January.
I had been a Dishnetwork customer for over 7 years and I was happy with the service and the quality, but they couldn't get my upgrade scheduled until about 6 weeks out.
So, being the impatient and compulsive person that I am, I decided to give DirecTV a call and see what they offered me.

They offered me the moon, the stars, and a free gift to boot, so I took the deal.

Now I'm not so naive that I expected the same interface that I was accustomed to, but I didn't expect one as goofy and useless as the one I got either.

No ability to record a portion of a program from the live buffer. Like if I see a cute commercial or something intersting on the news, I can't simply back up, hit record, FFWD and hit stop. This monster backs all the way up to the beginning of the buffer or to the beginning of the program.

No "Channels I Receive". Oh it's in the manual, but it's not activated for some reason. And while the programmers seem to be all excited about tweaking the GUI to a new set of pastel colors, they seem to have no time to dedicate to fixing something so basic and useful.

Friggin BBC's - Does the 622 use these things? I've had to replace mine already and they haven't even done anything yet.

Buggy, buggy, bugs everywhere! My first HR20 was just replaced by the second one yesterday. I'm hoping that solves the problems I was having with A/V breakups on a lot of channels, but I'm still skeptical. Beyond the breakups, the darned thing is slow on responding to commands, the FFWD's are jumpy, and the 30 slip instead of skip is annoying. The guide moves so slowly that I tend to doze off while running throiugh it. Seriously, I did that the other night.
My wife yelled, "Hey, that's the third lap! Pick something for Christ's sake!"

Other issues:

First installer left the coax connectors on the LNB's loose. Lost signal in 30 days.
The guy who came to fix that did a great job, except that he left the mast clamp bolts loose and the wind twisted the dish around. Amazingly, since it had been over 90 days, they wanted to charge me $70 for him to do that. I argued them out of that one.

They DID charge me $20 to ship me the replacement receiver the other day.

I had E* for all that time, and they replaced my receivers three times without charging me anything, even well after my initial commitment had expired.

I submitted the the forms for my free gift as a new subscriber back in Feb. Still no free gift.

So, thanks for reading the reasons why I'm sick of D*.
Now here are the questions:

1. Is the ViP622 DVR this buggy?
2. Is the interface still similar to the 500's?
3. Does E* now charge for service calls, replacement shipping, etc.?
4. Where is an online list of current and future HD channels?
5. How do I get back to E* without waiting 18 months or paying D*'s penalties?
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bobby Bearcat

Bobby Bearcat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

No.. In fact. mine has been rock stable...

No.. Very nice interface that is easy to use

They haven't charged me for any service in 10 years

http://www.dishnetwo...ing/index.shtml

I would keep calling D* and complaining until they let you out of the contract...
Dish Network Customer Since 1996
Dish HD in all it's glory
Panasonic 58" TH-58PX600U Plasma Television
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Receiver

#3 OFFLINE   logicalnoise

logicalnoise

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

Let me explain.

I made the jump to HDTV in late January.
I had been a Dishnetwork customer for over 7 years and I was happy with the service and the quality, but they couldn't get my upgrade scheduled until about 6 weeks out.
So, being the impatient and compulsive person that I am, I decided to give DirecTV a call and see what they offered me.

They offered me the moon, the stars, and a free gift to boot, so I took the deal.

Now I'm not so naive that I expected the same interface that I was accustomed to, but I didn't expect one as goofy and useless as the one I got either.

No ability to record a portion of a program from the live buffer. Like if I see a cute commercial or something intersting on the news, I can't simply back up, hit record, FFWD and hit stop. This monster backs all the way up to the beginning of the buffer or to the beginning of the program.

No "Channels I Receive". Oh it's in the manual, but it's not activated for some reason. And while the programmers seem to be all excited about tweaking the GUI to a new set of pastel colors, they seem to have no time to dedicate to fixing something so basic and useful.

Friggin BBC's - Does the 622 use these things? I've had to replace mine already and they haven't even done anything yet.

Buggy, buggy, bugs everywhere! My first HR20 was just replaced by the second one yesterday. I'm hoping that solves the problems I was having with A/V breakups on a lot of channels, but I'm still skeptical. Beyond the breakups, the darned thing is slow on responding to commands, the FFWD's are jumpy, and the 30 slip instead of skip is annoying. The guide moves so slowly that I tend to doze off while running throiugh it. Seriously, I did that the other night.
My wife yelled, "Hey, that's the third lap! Pick something for Christ's sake!"

Other issues:

First installer left the coax connectors on the LNB's loose. Lost signal in 30 days.
The guy who came to fix that did a great job, except that he left the mast clamp bolts loose and the wind twisted the dish around. Amazingly, since it had been over 90 days, they wanted to charge me $70 for him to do that. I argued them out of that one.

They DID charge me $20 to ship me the replacement receiver the other day.

I had E* for all that time, and they replaced my receivers three times without charging me anything, even well after my initial commitment had expired.

I submitted the the forms for my free gift as a new subscriber back in Feb. Still no free gift.

1. There's still bugs but the BSOD issue has been reslved completly according to this board.
2. can't say
3. If your undercontract installation, repointing the dish and replacement receivers are free.
4. www.dishnetwork.com most of teh standard ones direct TV has as well as HDnet(mark cubans terrific HD network) and a dozen VOOM networks(rave, Kungfu, monster,gameplay. etc.)
5. You could try spamming their repair line constantly asking for whatever service is free. Your best bet is to check over teh contract and see what you can abuse.

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

1. Doesn't seem to be, but don't know what a BBC is.

2. The 500 is a dish, what did you mean? The 622 is (thankfully) very different from the 501/508/510, and pretty much the same as the 522 with the addition of a 3-hour wide EPG.

4. http://ekb.dbstalk.com/hdchan.htm
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

Oops. Sorry. I was working from memory.
I had the 501 before.

A BBC is a B-Band Converter.
It's an inline filter that will have to be used to receive HD feeds from the new satellite they just launched.
They're having a good bit of trouble with them.
Favorite Quotes:

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

I had the 501 before.

It's an inline filter that will have to be used to receive HD feeds from the new satellite they just launched.

BBC is not having a lot of problems, biggest is installers not installing them. Some early BBCs were shipped with the cable folded over causing some problems but only a small percentage.

622 was very buggy when DISH introduced them, they are on something like the 4th or 5th revision of the product hardware and it is running much cooler and more reliable.

Your problems with the operating system could have been discovered before you entered into a 24 mo. contract by simply visiting a dealer or friend and playing with their receiver. When you change from one company to another there are differences and it is your responsibility to find them and decide if they will bother you.:)

DISH does charge for service calls $99 without the DHPP service contract $29.99 with a service contract. DHPP is $5.99/Mo. Replacement receivers usually have a $14.95 shipping charge with free return of damaged/defective receiver under advanced exchange.

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

622 was very buggy when DISH introduced them, they are on something like the 4th or 5th revision of the product hardware and it is running much cooler and more reliable.

My ViP622 has been rock solid since February 2006. 622 has been a very good product since introduction, and remains so.

None of the updates that I am aware of have dealt with cooling. Most updates have been either minor tweaks to correct a few "rogue" units that for some reason, either operational or environmental, have problems.

90% of 622's are and have been running reliably for 17 months (HDMI issues aside).
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

Jim,
what are the HDMI issues?
I'm all about the HDMI.
Favorite Quotes:

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

Early and mid model 622's had a problem with the physical connection of the HDMI connector to the motherboard. Purportedly they have gone from a surface mount to a through mount for the pins and substantially strengthened the connector.

I found out last night that pulling the HDMI cable toward the middle of the unit sometimes re-establishes contact.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#10 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

622 was very buggy when DISH introduced them

Bull****. I will leave it at that.

#11 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:34 AM

My HR20 has been rock solid, not a single issue with it and I've had NO issues with our BBC's either. Sounds like you've been dealt duece 7 offsuit.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#12 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

I had the 501 before.

I have never heard of any issues with the BBC. I have them on 3 receiver's and have not had any problems with them.

#13 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

I have never heard of any issues with the BBC. I have them on 3 receiver's and have not had any problems with them.

Well, you must not be spending any time in the HR20 forums then.
Favorite Quotes:

#14 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:08 PM

Well, you must not be spending any time in the HR20 forums then.

Well, yes I do. I don't read every thread out there. But, I have not seen a ton of people complaining about it. Also, I do the CE test on the HR20 plus many more.

#15 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

When asked if they've had to replace their BBC's once or more, 25% said yes.
Favorite Quotes:

#16 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

So far no problems with a H20 installed back in 12/05, two HR20's installed Aug/Sep 2006 and a H21 installed this month. That's 6 BBC's and 4 different boxes and no problems. I wonder if the failure rate your poll is showing is caused by bad BBC's or something environmental at the location?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...