Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RF and the HR20-100, success...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

Well, I was less than impressed, when I first got my HR20-100, when trying the RF mode with the remote(yes I have the antenna attached :) ). It was sluggish and would a lot of times not recognize the button presse, forcing me to press the button 2 or 3 times. I pretty much gave up using it.

Well, the remote that came with the HR20, was and RC34 and it didn't have the correct codes for my Onkyo receiver, nor my TV. So, after reading people getting the RF64RB, when ording an additional RF remote from Directv, I decided to give it a try.

I received it today and it's nice. It handles my Onkyo receiver well and is even BACKLIT. However the interesting part is the RF works like a charm with my HR20-100. I don't have any of the issues of it missing button presses or delayed reactions, like I had with the original RC34 remote. It works like it should.

I even compared them side, by side in RF mode and it is night and day. Ths RF34 is terrible and the RC64RB is terrific.

For those having these RF issues, you may want to give this a shot. The remote goes for $25, with free shipping, from Directv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:17 AM

I've searched the Directv website and I couldn't find any info on this remote. Do you call up and ask. Will they give you one for free if you tell them what a hard time your having with the RC34?

#3 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

I've searched the Directv website and I couldn't find any info on this remote. Do you call up and ask. Will they give you one for free if you tell them what a hard time your having with the RC34?

Just order the Directv Universal RF remote and you will receive the RC64RB. You can order it by going into your account and Upgrade Equipment. At the bottom, you should see it listed. Make sure you order the RF version tho(it's $25 vs $15 for the non-RF).

As for free, I dunno. I was thinking of trying that, but I really didn't have time for the hassle of trying.

#4 OFFLINE   cjever19

cjever19

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

I also was not impressed with the RF function using RC34 & HR-100. I first thought maybe it was because the RF antenna was behind the box, inside my entertainment center and was thus blocked from radio waves, so I used some coax cable as an extension cord for the antenna and tried various placements, still not impressed. It was far from the advertised "through walls" and from other rooms. It wouldn't work unless I had the antenna out in plain sight and aimed the remote in the area of the antenna and still wouldn't even work from the side of the room. Strangely, it seemed to work best when aimed at the ceiling making me think the RF transmitter is on the bottom of the remote. IMHO it basically works the same as IR, but requires an antenna. I just ordered the RC64RB so I will see how that goes.
HR20-700 via HDMI to Panny TH-42PX60U
Antec MX-1 with WD10EVCS running flawless since 10/08 HR
HR22-100 to Panny SD-CRT
R15-500's via Coax Ch. 3 to 29" Panny SD-CRT's
(Details here)

#5 OFFLINE   Sparks

Sparks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

I had ordered an RC32RF via the internet for use with my HR20-100. It was less than acceptable...only worked from about 10 feet away at best. I then order the RF Universal Remote from Direct TV and got the RC64RF. However, this doesn't work any better and I'm back to IR until I can get this fixed. I was going to go to a friends house this weekend to test my remotes and receiver, except her receiver won't accept IR now and she is having a new one shipped to her. Hopefully this will work as advertised.

#6 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

I had ordered an RC32RF via the internet for use with my HR20-100. It was less than acceptable...only worked from about 10 feet away at best. I then order the RF Universal Remote from Direct TV and got the RC64RF. However, this doesn't work any better and I'm back to IR until I can get this fixed. I was going to go to a friends house this weekend to test my remotes and receiver, except her receiver won't accept IR now and she is having a new one shipped to her. Hopefully this will work as advertised.

Hmm, interesting about the RC64RB not working any better. I know RF, in general, tends to have issues, if there is interference, in the room. In my testing, I really didn't push the distance thing, but I can tell you I was a good 20ft away from my unit, and held it directly behind a recliner and it still didn't have any issues.

#7 OFFLINE   nellee

nellee

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:53 AM

I just adding the RF antenna and set the remote to RF.

When I went to update my PS3 last night, my signal was dead whereas previously it was a good 70-80% signal strength.

I'm no techie on wireless, but does the RF signal from the HR20 interfere with my wireless signal? My PS3 is about 3 feet from the HR20.

The RF remote feature hasn't really given me anything better than the IR so if the RF signal is affecting my wireless signal to my PS3 (and possible my Wii) I will turn that off.

Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   Sparks

Sparks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hmm, interesting about the RC64RB not working any better. I know RF, in general, tends to have issues, if there is interference, in the room. In my testing, I really didn't push the distance thing, but I can tell you I was a good 20ft away from my unit, and held it directly behind a recliner and it still didn't have any issues.

I've had the HR20 in two different rooms with the same result. The only other wireless stuff I have is my 5.8 GHz phone and my Linksys wireless router. I live on 10 acres so there is nothing near by the would be causing interferance. Hopefully when I call tonight, tech support will send me another HR20 to try.

Edit: Called tech support last night and they are sending another HR20 for me to try.

Edit: 8/7/07 - Recieved the new HR20 yesterday (got a HR20-700) and it works great. I now can control the HR20 with the RF remotes from anywhere in the house.

#9 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:31 AM

I also was not impressed with the RF function using RC34 & HR-100. I first thought maybe it was because the RF antenna was behind the box, inside my entertainment center and was thus blocked from radio waves, so I used some coax cable as an extension cord for the antenna and tried various placements, still not impressed. It was far from the advertised "through walls" and from other rooms. It wouldn't work unless I had the antenna out in plain sight and aimed the remote in the area of the antenna and still wouldn't even work from the side of the room. Strangely, it seemed to work best when aimed at the ceiling making me think the RF transmitter is on the bottom of the remote. IMHO it basically works the same as IR, but requires an antenna. I just ordered the RC64RB so I will see how that goes.

I went through the same steps as you did (coax cable and all) and still have issues with the 100. 700 located right beneath the 100 works fine with RF on the DirecTV, but the 100 on AV1 does not work well at all. Same remote, same room. 100 is back on IR for now until I figure out a solution.

#10 OFFLINE   Orangegrower

Orangegrower

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

I went through the same steps as you did (coax cable and all) and still have issues with the 100. 700 located right beneath the 100 works fine with RF on the DirecTV, but the 100 on AV1 does not work well at all. Same remote, same room. 100 is back on IR for now until I figure out a solution.

I purchased a RC64RB in hopes of fixing my 100 RF problems with no luck. I'm back to IR and yes the dog likes to sleep in front of the 100 blocking IR signals. :lol:
Mike

AU-9 to Zinwell 68
HR20-100 (HDMI)
Samsung LN52B750
HR22-100 (HDMI)
Vizio VO42LF

Protected By... spam firewall...And...