Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weird HR20 Issue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

So, earlier tonight I walked into the room with my HR20-100s and noticed that the record light wasn't on when something was supposed to be recording... so I turn on the TV and the HR20 and found that it was in fact recording... but the record light just wasn't on. I then noticed that the blu light wasn't staying on either, but would occasionally blink when I hit a button on the remote.

I went into the room a few minutes ago and to my surprise, realized that the buttons on the unit are non-responsive as well... yet the units works fine with the remote.

Anybody ever have anything like this happen before?

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

This is often a sign of a receiver that needs to be reset. You might also want to log your issue, and what you did to fix it, in the issues thread for your model (HR20-100 or HR20-700).

If you have the ability to use the front panel, you should be able to navigate to Setup, then Reset. If you need to, press the red button on the front of the receiver as a last resort.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

This is often a sign of a receiver that needs to be reset. You might also want to log your issue, and what you did to fix it, in the issues thread for your model (HR20-100 or HR20-700).

If you have the ability to use the front panel, you should be able to navigate to Setup, then Reset. If you need to, press the red button on the front of the receiver as a last resort.

I've already tried "Restart Recorder" and when that didn't work, I unplugged, left it a few minutes and plugged it back in. Lights still don't work right, and buttons on the front are still non-responsive.

~Alan

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

You might try unplugging it and leaving it overnight. It's rare, but it can help. Otherwise, I'm afraid a call to customer service might be in order. It almost sounds like a short in the board that controls the front panel.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

You might try unplugging it and leaving it overnight. It's rare, but it can help. Otherwise, I'm afraid a call to customer service might be in order. It almost sounds like a short in the board that controls the front panel.

It may be something as simple as the ribbon cable has come loose for the front panel.
There was a user that had a problem and opened up the box to see why & found a cable loose. After it was connected the unit worked fine. You have to love the QC inspection they do to these. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:44 AM

We are not suggesting that you open the front panel as it would be violating the lease agreement... ;)
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#7 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

Well, I left my HR20-100s unplugged all night... plugged it back in and it's no longer responsive to the remote or to the buttons on the unit.

I did a RBR, and I got the remote working again.

I'll try to get some stuff off it this weekend, and give DirecTV a call next week...

~Alan

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

Well, I never got around to calling DirecTV because the unit started working for a while... but it has stopped again... so I'm going to try and make a call this week sometime (after I get a few things off the unit).

My question is this, if I call them and get them to replace it (which might not be possible since it's been a while since I've had it installed), will DirecTV send another installer out, or will they just ship me a new one?

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:42 PM

As some of you who were in the chat room Friday night knows, my HR20 started acting crazy and the unit started making crazy noises... but I'll elaborate a little more for those of you who were not in the chat room...

Sometime Friday afternoon, my recordings became unplayable. By that, I mean that whenever I tried to play a recording, it was ask me if I wanted to delete it right off, with no ability to play a recording... which is why I was hoping that the announced CE might allow me to play these recordings again.

Later that night when I came into the CE chat, I asked if it was safe for a 100 owner to start downloading, and when the answer was affirmative, I restarted, ready to enter the code, but due to the lights not working, I misjudged when I needed to enter the code... which caused me to miss my window.

After it finished step 2 (downloading satellite info), the unit cut off after making a "thunk" noise (sounded like a hard drive issue). I was then unable to get the HR20 to respond to the remote, and since I couldn't use the front panel, RBR was my only option... unfortunately, I couldn't get to the remote in time to enter the code, so I miss it again and the HR20 once again becomes unresponsive after making a "thunk" noise after finishing step 2... so I RBR again, but this time ready to enter the code in for downloading the new CE, and so it started downloading. I believe I had to RBR after the CE finished downloading, but I don't remember.

After the HR20 finished restarting, the channels came up and I was able to use the HR20 again... though I was still unable to play my recordings... and a minute later, the unit once again made a loud "thunk" and cut off. I noticed after that, that I was no longer able to rewind or fast forward either, and changing channels could take a long time, and Earl recommended trying to record something, which I thought was a good idea and tried to record Jay Leno, and found out that it wasn't able to record right either... and when I mentioned that the internal temp was 32F, everybody agreed with me that it appeared to be a hard drive issue. Quite a few people then started to leave the chat, including Earl, and I stayed for a little while since I was dealing with the HR20 and I had some helpful (and not so helpful) suggestions, one of which enabled me to play a recording... for a full minute before a "thunk occured and my unit switched off. After a RBR, I had enough and decided to watch some TV in the other room. Before I left the room, I unplugged my HR20, and left it unplugged all night.

The next morning, I woke up and plugged the HR20 back in... and the problems were still there, and some were worse as changing channels could now take up to five minutes and several times the unit became unresponsive to the remote even when on. Finally I get up the energy to call DirecTV tech support, and I explain my situation to the guy. He seems less interested in the messed up front panel and loud "thunk" noise than he is the rewind/fast forward/recording problems, so he asks me what happens when I rewind and fast forward. Up until he asked me, it always did nothing, but this time it's telling me that the DVR service is not activated on the receiver (a message I've received two or three times in the past for whatever reason), so he starts going about trying to activate the DVR service, and it still doesn't work after he tries it several times. I explained to him again about the internal temp being 32F, but he says that is actually very good (and I don't bother to tell him otherwise). He puts me on hold for a few minutes, and I change the channel while he's gone... and nothing ever comes up. Several minutes later he comes back and tells me that he needs to replace it... so he asks me if something or other is my address, to which I respond, no. He then apologizes for doing something wrong, asks me the if he now has the correct address (he does), I ask him if I can send it to my work address, he says that's fine and tells me it will be in on Wednesday.

I then start cleaning off the hard drive of stuff that I've seen, but wanted to keep on there, and stuff that I've seen before, but was going to watch again (Blade: The Series), and now, HERE'S THE WEIRDER PART!! I later do a restart to see if I can get to change the channel again, and everything is working fine again (except for the front panel), and I even got a show or two off last night... and temperture is now 107F.

I look forward to getting the unit on Wednesday... I'm curious if it will be a HR20-100 or a HR20-700. I like the vents on the side of the HR20-100, but I like the idea of software updates and CEs on the 700 more... as well as the hope that maybe RF would work on the 700. I'll probably end up with another 100 though...

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Tuesday afternoon at work (one day earlier than DirecTV told me), I received my replacement HR20 (a 700). However, after getting home at 2:00 A.M. (after getting off just a little before), the replacement would have to work until tomorrow...

Wednesday, I got up (LATE!) and started getting off the remaining programs (the most important ones anyway) so that I could hook up the HR20-700. By 8:00, I was ready to hook it up, but not time to activate it until later in the night due to dinner (and a visitor), so I figured I would take the time to update the software and let it be getting guide data.

The first thing I noticed is that the power cord does NOT want to fit... is this a -700problem or just this one unit?

The second thing I noticed was that it kept telling me it was searching for satellite signal on tuner 2... which got me worried that this unit was going to have a problem as well... but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time.

I'm bad at timing the code to download new software, so everytime I tried, it wouldn't do it, but luckily, it started while I was having dinner.

After dinner (& visitor) I proceeded into the other room to activate the receiver and noticed that the problem with tuner 2 was that it was only receiving even transponders (which was weird considering it worked fine with my HR20-100).

I also noticed that on the test, network was OK'd, but the internet had an error.

To top it all off, the remote (RC64R) included with the replacement unit felt like it had powder all over it which felt kind of gross whenever I picked it up. Had the remotes not been different models, I would have just kept my old one and sent back the new one, but I guess I'll keep this one... it's starting to feel better now anyway...

Last night after I had it activated, I found the internet problem (my fault), and I had the bright idea of swapping the cable going into tuner 1 into the port on tuner 2, and I started having the same problem on tuner 1. I also coupled a cable on the other side of the room coming from the old Phase III dish to tuner 2, and it started working fine, so today, I went out and changed the output on the multiswitch going to the HR20 and it's working fine now...

I like the back of the HR20-100 better (connection placements), and I think I like the eye on the HR20-100 better, but I like the record light being bigger on the HR20-700.

I also like having the ability to use RF with my remote now...

I'm now ready for the next CE...

~Alan

#11 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

Congratulations on your success finally. It was a bit of a process. Hopefully the -100 CEs will catch up with the -700 but they are really not that far behind. Kind of a trade off for having and arguably better HR20. ;)
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...