Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noticed a Mail notice on HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:59 AM

Today I happened to see the Mail ICON on the channel banner page was on. Went to Caller ID and MSG's and didn't see it on the first page, needed to scroll all the way to the bottom of all the caller ID entries to find the message. It was a message about the BBC adapters and to make sure they're connected.

Nice, D*'s using every means possible to get the word out. IMHO one thing though, you should have messages stay at the top in the caller ID/MSG list, not at the bottom to make it more noticable.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

I have not checked all of my receiver's yet but the one HR20 I am using now did not receive it. My H21 did.

#3 OFFLINE   HarleyJoel

HarleyJoel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

I got the same message on my HR20. Lite 'em up!

#4 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

Today I happened to see the Mail ICON on the channel banner page was on. Went to Caller ID and MSG's and didn't see it on the first page, needed to scroll all the way to the bottom of all the caller ID entries to find the message. It was a message about the BBC adapters and to make sure they're connected.

Nice, D*'s using every means possible to get the word out. IMHO one thing though, you should have messages stay at the top in the caller ID/MSG list, not at the bottom to make it more noticable.

AH HA! I saw that little envelope icon, in the main menu, and thought it was something I hadn't seen before. But, when I went into the caller id list, I didn't see anything new, but I didn't scroll the the bottom of the list. :grin:

#5 OFFLINE   d max82

d max82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:26 AM

IMHO one thing though, you should have messages stay at the top in the caller ID/MSG list, not at the bottom to make it more noticable.

+1

It took me awhile to figure it myself, although this is the first message I've gotten so I'll know where to look next time.

#6 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

Did you post this in the Issues thread? I'm sure they've seen this one by now but I might consider this an Issue as I would agree with you that it should be up at the top. :)
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#7 OFFLINE   eahmjh

eahmjh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

+1

It took me awhile to figure it myself, although this is the first message I've gotten so I'll know where to look last time.

Our was in the Messages section and not the Caller ID part. It did show up in the quick view screen that is in what I call the mini caller id list. If you select Caller ID & Msgs, Edit Settings, and look in the Messages tab you will see the message.
HR20-700: HDMI 1080i to Sony KDL-46XBR2
HR21-100: HDMI 720p to Sylvania 6632LG
H21-200: HDMI 720P to Sony KDL-26L5000
Monster Power Center HTS-3600MKII
Sony STR-DG800: Optical to HR20
Bose 301, VSC-10, 161 speakers
Velodyne VRP1000 subwoofer
AT9 5 LNB; Zinwel WB-68 Mulitswitch

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

Did you post this in the Issues thread? I'm sure they've seen this one by now but I might consider this an Issue as I would agree with you that it should be up at the top. :)

Didn't put it in an issues thread since I don't think it's specific to a specific release but design of the box. Looks like it's multiple STB's now since same thing has been noted on a H21 and I just checked my H20 and it was also at the bottom of the caller ID list.

#9 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

Wish I could get CID. Have never had it even though my CID is on.:(

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

Sorry it's not working for you. But maybe here's an idea. While reviewing the H21 reciever manual, usually I don't read manuals, there's a FCC section, which goes into all the legal mumbo jumbo required. One of the points mentioned is the REN, Ringer Equivalency Number, which IIRC is how much current a device will draw for it's ringer. I checked the HR20's manual and on page 58 they also go into this. I wonder if for the folks that are having CID problems if there are are too many devices hung on the phone line drawing too much current for the HR20 to have it's CID work properly? Maybe it might be worth it to disconnect as many other phones are you can to see if that makes it work?

#11 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

I have it although when I was cleaning up some wires I disconnected the phone line and have to rerun it but I didn't think I would miss it this week but I did so sorry you can't get it i think it is a nice feature

#12 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Sorry it's not working for you. But maybe here's an idea. While reviewing the H21 reciever manual, usually I don't read manuals, there's a FCC section, which goes into all the legal mumbo jumbo required. One of the points mentioned is the REN, Ringer Equivalency Number, which IIRC is how much current a device will draw for it's ringer. I checked the HR20's manual and on page 58 they also go into this. I wonder if for the folks that are having CID problems if there are are too many devices hung on the phone line drawing too much current for the HR20 to have it's CID work properly? Maybe it might be worth it to disconnect as many other phones are you can to see if that makes it work?

I think this may well be the case for at least some.I connected the phone-line to my new HR20 a few days ago and the volume on all my phones dropped considerably.And they would not always maintain a ring-tone.

If I had a phone in my hand as I connected/disconnected the HR20,there was a noticeable difference every time.Oddly,this never happened with the HR10 it replaced.So it may be that the HR20 is pulling more current(i.e.TOO MUCH) and is affecting the CID...as well as possibly all the phones in the house.

#13 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

I too noticed the envelope icon lit up a little while ago and it took me a while to realize the msg was at the very bottom of the list of caller id msgs. Pretty dumb and completely the wrong way to do things imo.

#14 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:17 AM

Yes I had a msg on one of the hr20's I watch. The other one I watch didn't have the msg. After poking about it looks like I didn't have one set to receive msgs. I agree that the msg should be at the top of the list.
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#15 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:26 AM

I too noticed the envelope icon lit up a little while ago and it took me a while to realize the msg was at the very bottom of the list of caller id msgs. Pretty dumb and completely the wrong way to do things imo.

Absolutely the worst place to put the message icon. I feel it should be its own category, a simole click on the menu. I would never think that messages should be put together with caller id.

Just my opinion.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#16 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:04 AM

My message was in the Message Folder, not mixed in with CID stuff, so it looks like it worked as it was supposed to on my HR20.

Ahhhh....I see, you guys are talking about notification and location of the Message Folder. Since I have played with CID a lot, I always knew where the messages were stored. You're right, there should be a better notification system....although the LAST thing I want is some stupid screen notification that screws up a recording (to an external device, like a DVD recorder).

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:51 AM

My message was in the Message Folder, not mixed in with CID stuff, so it looks like it worked as it was supposed to on my HR20.
Ahhhh....I see, you guys are talking about notification and location of the Message Folder. Since I have played with CID a lot, I always knew where the messages were stored. You're right, there should be a better notification system....although the LAST thing I want is some stupid screen notification that screws up a recording (to an external device, like a DVD recorder).

The first D* receivers I had many years ago put a notification in the banner with the channel info, so it would not come up unless you changed channels or hit info.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

Getting to the message folder via going to edit settings is not very intutive to me. Agreeded, I don't want something automatically popping up at me, the current way of notification is OK with me, just make it easier to find the message.

#19 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:09 AM

I got the same message on my HR20. Lite 'em up!

What he said!
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#20 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:00 AM

Agree with all posters that stted the Messages should be above (even in a another folder) the caller ID messages.

Maybe they could have the menu item Caller ID and Messages and when you click on it you are presented with two folders like Media Share, one for Caller ID and one for messages from D*. Allow these to be expandable like windows explorer so that we can keep the caller ID folder expanded all the time and the Messages folder closed until there is something in there to see.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...