Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noticed a Mail notice on HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   NickD

NickD

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:49 AM

Agree with all posters that stted the Messages should be above (even in a another folder) the caller ID messages.

Maybe they could have the menu item Caller ID and Messages and when you click on it you are presented with two folders like Media Share, one for Caller ID and one for messages from D*. Allow these to be expandable like windows explorer so that we can keep the caller ID folder expanded all the time and the Messages folder closed until there is something in there to see.

I agree with this as an option. I do not have a problem the notification, just how I have to get to it.
Nick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

I got the message on all 3 of my HR20's this morning. Good to see the feature working, now let's put it to use D*.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#23 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

Agree with all posters that stted the Messages should be above (even in a another folder) the caller ID messages.

Maybe they could have the menu item Caller ID and Messages and when you click on it you are presented with two folders like Media Share, one for Caller ID and one for messages from D*. Allow these to be expandable like windows explorer so that we can keep the caller ID folder expanded all the time and the Messages folder closed until there is something in there to see.

I think it would be nice if DIRECTV changed it to the idea above. I don't like how the message is listed at the bottome of the CID list.

#24 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

Why can't D do this when they add a new channel or having free previews send it in the mail notices

JACK,

#25 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

+1 for having messages before caller ID.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#26 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,774 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

Not to be getting too snooty with D*, but at the rate my Message function gets used, I'm not sure it matters much where they put it. :rolleyes: It should be used to notify of new channels, OTA channel availability, etc. etc....and it isn't used that way.

The most recent message (only one I recall getting in nearly a year) is an example of a good use for messages.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#27 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:53 PM

Why can't D do this when they add a new channel or having free previews send it in the mail notices

Yes, yes, yes! I love free preview weekends, but never hear about them.
- Matt

#28 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,774 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

+1

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#29 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,636 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

I agree with hasan, this feature is sincerely underused. I've been saying this for months. Here's a great marketing opportunity and it's free! It's pretty unobtrusive, you wouldn't even see it if you weren't looking for it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#30 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,767 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

I agree with hasan, this feature is sincerely underused. I've been saying this for months. Here's a great marketing opportunity and it's free! It's pretty unobtrusive, you wouldn't even see it if you weren't looking for it.

+1. MANY years ago they did but for some reason just stopped doing it. It doesn't cost them a single cent to use it so why not?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#31 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

They used to 10 years or so ago when I first had a Hughes receiver. I thought there were way too many messages then, but D* has switched to the other extreme and very seldom posts messages.

I would like to know about free previews without having to find them by searching this forum.

Bill

#32 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,636 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

Free preview information is also included with the other stuffers in your bill, if you still get one mailed to you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#33 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:37 PM

I got the message and like the little envelope icon to tell you that you have a message.

I do not remember ever getting another message on the HR20.

I don't get a paper bill anymore and I know that they are pushing hard to get away from paper so this would be a great way to communicate new channels, previews, etc., as everyone is saying.

Adding a new channel is a million dollar deal. Why would you want to keep your users form knowing about it if you can tell them for free? I bet they could even include channel announcement messages as a bargaining chip to sweeten their deal with the channel.

As you are all saying, do not dilute this by making it the spam message of the week. But once a month, don't you have something good to tell your customers?

I just don't understand what DIRECTV has to gain by not sending channel announcements.

Does anyone know?

- Craig

#34 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,767 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

I don't get a paper bill anymore and I know that they are pushing hard to get away from paper so this would be a great way to communicate new channels, previews, etc., as everyone is saying.

Even though I was supposed to get a paper bill (I never asked to go paperless) D* automatically switched me because I used their online view bill a couple of times. Since I want to see all the extra stuff that came with the paper bill I had to call them and tell me to switch me back. Now if in the electronic bill they would also send a PDF or a link to a page with all the same info I'd be willing to go back to paperless.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#35 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

I was starting to wonder if D* was ever going to send messages to the HR20

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#36 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:44 PM

Excellent. I wish I could get a message and a showcase every week.;)
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

spam firewall