Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Could these HD-DVD Titles... help close the gap?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
109 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

DVD & HD FORMAT STATS

TOTAL U.S. PLAYER SALES (5/4/07 - CEA): 126,586,654*
TOTAL CANADIAN PLAYER SALES (5/4/07): 12,658,665*
*Sales to dealers since 3/97. DVD/VCR combination players included, but not DVD-ROM drives & game systems.
TOTAL DVD TITLES (8/2/07 - DVD Release Report): 76,384*
*Net total of R1 DVD-Video discs released/announced. Discontinued & adult not included.
TOP 10 SELLING DISCS (7/29/07 - Nielsen/VideoScan):
1) Zødiac
2) The Number 23
3) Premonition
4) The Hills Have Eyes 2
5) Stargate SG-1: Season 10 6) Shooter
7) The Bourne Files
8) Weeds: Season 2
9) The Contract
10) The Last Mimzy

TOP 10 RENTAL DISCS (7/29/07 - Home Media Research):
1) The Number 23
2) Zødiac
3) Premonition
4) The Hills Have Eyes 2
5) The Contract 6) Shooter
7) Slow Burn
8) Black Snake Moan
9) Perfume
10) The Last Mimzy

TOTAL BLU-RAY DISC TITLES (7/31/07 - DVD Release Report): 278/77*
TOTAL HD-DVD TITLES (7/31/07 - DVD Release Report): 266/55*
*Net total of R1 discs released/announced. Discontinued & adult not included.
HIGH-DEF MARKET SHARE - BRD VS HD-DVD SOFTWARE SALES (7/29/07 - Nielsen/VideoScan):
Week Ending 7/22
Year to Date
Since Inception
Blu-ray Disc: 66
Blu-ray Disc: 67
Blu-ray Disc: 60 HD-DVD: 34
HD-DVD: 33
HD-DVD: 40

Movie titles only (videogame titles not included) - Includes HD-DVD/DVD Combo Format

NUMBER OF AFI TOP 100 FILMS ON DVD (7/9/07): 98 (2)*
( ) *Number of additional films announced or believed in development for DVD release.

from the digital bits

Posted 7/31 http://www.dbstalk.c...70&postcount=37

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

Posted 7/31 http://www.dbstalk.c...70&postcount=37

duh I posted the link in post #35 plus this one has an update 7/31/07 on the total Blue-ray HD DVD releases

#83 OFFLINE   Amon37

Amon37

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:46 AM

Actually this is somewhat true, more so in the WII market as publishers see the popularity of the console and the fact that they can develope two games for the price of one PS3 game.

Tell me which publishers are releasing Wii games that are not releasing any games on the PS3.

#84 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

Tell me which publishers are releasing Wii games that are not releasing any games on the PS3.

Why don't you just take a look at one of the gaming sites instead of spending your time defending the PS/3 (which is a great gaming system, don't get mw wrong). Fact is, you could buy a Wii plus extra controllers and five games for the price of a 60 meg PS/3.
I was at my local Wal-Mart today -- they had PS/3 and XBox 360 systems in stock. They can't get enough Wii systems to meet demand.
Tell most people the PS/3 costs so much because it has a Blu-ray Disc player, and you'll get a blank stare in return.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#85 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

How well does the Wii play Blu-rays? Oh right it can't plus it can't do about a million other things the Ps3 does. On a poll at another site, the majority of PS3 users use it for the Blu-ray player more than 50% of the time, and it plays games. How much does a Blu-ray stand alone and a Wii cost together? Now which is cheaper?
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#86 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:53 PM

Some of this Wii vs PS3 is a lot like comparing my refrigerator to a washing machine.

My washing machine cleans clothes... put your clothes in a refrigerator and see if they get clean!

Oh yeah? Well, put some ice cream in your washing machine and watch it melt!

The Wii and the PS3, from the video game perspective, are marketed to different audiences really. One may or may not appear to be more popular, but it could simply be different demographics. The PS3 and X-Box are competing with each other more directly as they are more comparable machines. I wouldn't compare a Wii to either as I think they want and are getting a different part of the customer base.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#87 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

How well does the Wii play Blu-rays? Oh right it can't plus it can't do about a million other things the Ps3 does. On a poll at another site, the majority of PS3 users use it for the Blu-ray player more than 50% of the time, and it plays games. How much does a Blu-ray stand alone and a Wii cost together? Now which is cheaper?

that is the most ignorant thing i have ever read.
how well does the ps3 work with wii controlers? its just as relevant....

#88 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

that is the most ignorant thing i have ever read.
how well does the ps3 work with wii controlers? its just as relevant....

Huh? Stop smoking weed. Which HD format does the Wii play? None? That's my point, if you want a toy that plays games and are short on cash, get a Wii, if you want a complete multimedia machine which upconverts DVDs, plays Blu-rays, browses the internet etc...etc... etc... then get a PS3.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#89 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

Some of this Wii vs PS3 is a lot like comparing my refrigerator to a washing machine.

My washing machine cleans clothes... put your clothes in a refrigerator and see if they get clean!

Oh yeah? Well, put some ice cream in your washing machine and watch it melt!

The Wii and the PS3, from the video game perspective, are marketed to different audiences really. One may or may not appear to be more popular, but it could simply be different demographics. The PS3 and X-Box are competing with each other more directly as they are more comparable machines. I wouldn't compare a Wii to either as I think they want and are getting a different part of the customer base.

Right a Wii is more like a PS2 or Pong. :-)

#90 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

Enough Videogame console wars, already! :beatdeadhorse: :backtotop

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#91 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

I own a PS2... never used it to watch movies. I have a DVD player for that. I am not a fan of bundling various technologies to the degree some companies do today. So for me, I would choose a gaming console based on which one I enjoyed playing the most. Nothing about playing movies would enter the equation.

Back to topic... I see way too much fanboy in the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray arguments to believe much of what either side hypes... so I am happy to sit on the sidelines and wait to see what happens. Eventually there will be a winner, or a new technology, and I can enjoy that when the time comes.

#92 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

Right a Wii is more like a PS2 or Pong. :-)

no, no fanboyism at all here...... Sorry guys, right, back to topic.

#93 OFFLINE   Virginian

Virginian

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

Very nice topic, folks, but nobody mentioned the real kicker, online downloading. A lot of developments going out there and early adopters are already enjoying storing their content on the media servers. Despite the number of obstacles (DRM, MPAA greed and legal issues) it’s definitely a way to go. With FIOS downloading of the HD content becomes real, why on Earth waist shelve space for the stockpiles of HD/BR DVDs?

More over, going even further, you don’t need to store all you HD movies on your home server, they can be available through the central repository, so instead of buying a DVD you just buy a license for a one time or unlimited download.

Sometimes the war can be over before it starts.

#94 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:57 AM

Very nice topic, folks, but nobody mentioned the real kicker, online downloading. A lot of developments going out there and early adopters are already enjoying storing their content on the media servers. Despite the number of obstacles (DRM, MPAA greed and legal issues) it’s definitely a way to go. With FIOS downloading of the HD content becomes real, why on Earth waist shelve space for the stockpiles of HD/BR DVDs?

More over, going even further, you don’t need to store all you HD movies on your home server, they can be available through the central repository, so instead of buying a DVD you just buy a license for a one time or unlimited download.

Sometimes the war can be over before it starts.

Because hard drives die. Is why I'd rather have a disc.

#95 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:08 AM

http://www.thedigita...com/#mytwocents

thoughts on Universal

#96 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

Because hard drives die. Is why I'd rather have a disc.

How big would your hard drive have to be if you owned say 100 Blu-ray quality movies. 50GB x 100 = Big Ass hard drive. So in addition to the cost of downloading the movie there would be the storage space cost. Now someday maybe that will all be moot and I do think that downloads will do some damage to the market, but its not going to replace media in the near feature. MP3s although huge, haven't replaced CDs yet.

#97 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

How big would your hard drive have to be if you owned say 100 Blu-ray quality movies. 50GB x 100 = Big Ass hard drive. So in addition to the cost of downloading the movie there would be the storage space cost. Now someday maybe that will all be moot and I do think that downloads will do some damage to the market, but its not going to replace media in the near feature. MP3s although huge, haven't replaced CDs yet.

Exactly! Furthermore, HT computers are just now beginning to be able to provide 7.1 surround and streaming video. Personally, I'd much rather have separate HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc players feeding my home theater TV and 6.1 sound system. This despite the fact that I'm typing this on a HTPC with Windows Media Center. Sure, you can have Terabyte hard drives, but I'd much rather have the movies on individual discs.

As to having a PS/3 as my Blu-ray player. Not likely, with three grandkids who are avid videogame players, it would monopolize the home theater. I'd feel the same way about the Xbox 360 with HD DVD drive. It would be different if I were young, single and really into console games. I'm none of the three. :nono: :lol:

Charlie
--------------------

#98 OFFLINE   Virginian

Virginian

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

Well, thanks for the feedback.
Now, some points:

1.HTPC is a very fast growing segment of the entire PC market.

2.Computers with the 7.1 surround and streaming video were available at least 3 years ago.

3.Yes, hard drives do die, ever heard about RAID5?

4.You don’t need the whole 50GB to store one HD movie.
5GB usually enough to provide the picture quality comparable to the current satellite HD videostream.

5.Finally, there is no need to keep all your movies locally, you can always download it from the central repository as long as you hold a legally purchased license. I understand, it’s going to take a while to adopt new technology, but it’s just our so called “not so distant future”. It won’t replace HD/BR DVDs completely, just make them a niche product for the undeveloped countries.

#99 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:16 PM

Well, thanks for the feedback.
Now, some points:

1.HTPC is a very fast growing segment of the entire PC market.

Perhaps... but most people do not have an internet connection near fast enough to handle the necessary bandwidth for HD... and many still do not have enough to handle high-quality SD. Also, computer screens are much smaller than average TV screens and lots of people find the larger screens a more enjoyable experience.

2.Computers with the 7.1 surround and streaming video were available at least 3 years ago.

When I bought my 5.1 surround receiver there were 6.1 already in existence... and 7.1 was right on the horizon. That said, there are only a handful of 6.1 movies in existence right now, with most being 5.1 or less. I'm also not convinced that anything above 6.1 adds meaningful to the sound experience.

4.You don’t need the whole 50GB to store one HD movie.
5GB usually enough to provide the picture quality comparable to the current satellite HD videostream.

MPEG2 HD is prime at 19.2 MBps... we typically see from 9-14 Mbps depending on the channel for HD via satellite. At those rates 10GB per hour is typical for a movie.. so a typical movie should be around 15-20GB give or take.

MPEG4 HD requires less bandwidth... but is still in the neighborhood of 6GB per hour... so you'd be talking 9-12GB or so for a comparable MPEG4 movie.

So you are correct that 50GB is not required for the typical movie... but more than 5GB is required for optimum quality. Again, if only watching on a 22" computer monitor or smaller, this may not matter.. but for most consumers the larger TV screen is a more enjoyable experience and the smaller file size definately shows the lack of quality at the file size you are talking about.

5.Finally, there is no need to keep all your movies locally, you can always download it from the central repository as long as you hold a legally purchased license. I understand, it’s going to take a while to adopt new technology, but it’s just our so called “not so distant future”. It won’t replace HD/BR DVDs completely, just make them a niche product for the undeveloped countries.

The entire internet would need to be upgraded/overhauled to make this happen... and while it may happen in the future, it will be a while in coming. Consider that I have a 6Mbps connection DSL but many Web sites I connect to cannot sustain that entire bandwidth just to me because their connection is not fast enough and/or they have to serve multiple customers simultaneously.

Some FiOs folks are getting 20-30+ Mbps download capacity... but almost no Web sites they can connect to at anywhere near that rate.

The infrastructure of the internet at all points would have to go through pretty much entire replacement to make this viable. Consider the recent Simpsons movie promos, and they ran a commercial where you could go to a Web site and "simpsonize" a picture of yourself as a cartoon character. The first time that commercial ran, if you tried to go to the Web site... most folks got a timeout error because the server was overloaded.

Too many weaknesses at this point to provide IPTV and HTPC kind of scenarios on a broad scale, and too expensive to upgrade overnight.

#100 OFFLINE   Virginian

Virginian

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:32 PM

HDMe,

You are right about infrastructure, FIOS and other similar high speed networks are in there infancy, but they all have a great potential and demonstrate exponential growth. Anyway, let me comment on the couple of your points.

First, nobody ever suggested watching HD content on the computer screen. You either connect computer directly to the HDTV through the computer’s HDMI output or (and this is a preferable way) run media server software on you computer and use media players connected to the local home network. Each media player has HDMI output connected to the corresponding TV and you can use as many of them as you want to watch movies/shows simultaneously across your entire household.

Second, instead of direct video stream you can download your “weekly” load at night (let’s call it “phase one”) before infrastructure is ready for the uninterrupted direct stream.

And believe me, I’m not a fortune teller, just technology is already there and by all means provides much better functionality, flexibility and convenience comparing to the soon become obsolete BR/HD toys.

spam firewall