Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Tuner Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   avNeophyte

avNeophyte

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

I got a new HR20 from D* earlier this week. I'm not too fond of it in general at this point but I'm having one major problem. It only seems to be using 1 Sat tuner and the OTA tuners. It won't use Sat tuner 2.

I have 2 sat cables (with b band converters) and an OTA cable connected to the box. I know both sat cables are good for several reasons:

1. They worked for years with my HD-Tivo,
2. If can frog the cables on the back of the HR20 and tuner 1 continues to work, and
3. The satellite signal test shows excellent signal levels for all operational transponders on all operational satellites on both tuners (however the test screen that allows you to pick satellite #, transponder # and tuner for audio always acquires a signal on tuner 1 but never on tuner 2??????).

The problem is if I start recording a show then try to switch the channel it tells me all tuners are recording and asks if I want to cancel a recording or cancel channel change. This screen shows a list of the current recordings and it lists only the recording on tuner 1.

Further, if I go into the system info menu it show the following for my tuners:

SAT: Tuner 1, Record
SAT: Tuner 2
OTA: Tuner 1, Record
OTA: Tuner 2, Record

It seems as though I have a single tuner DVR. Is the HR20 supposed to work like this? Do I have a configuration problem? Possibly a bad tuner?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

:welcome_s to DBStalk

Do a menu reset and that should fix it.

#3 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:43 AM

I had the same issue on mine. I had even transponders only on SAT 2. Ended up being a bad tuner. If you switch the sat cables and have the same issue, that's what my guess would be.
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

#4 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

If the reset doesnt work, try uplugging it for a while. If that doesn't work. Leave one in sat 1, reset. And see if you get a signal, repeat this for sat 2.

#5 OFFLINE   avNeophyte

avNeophyte

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

I did a menu reset and the unit hung in the D* HDDVR+ boot screen.

I then pulled the plug, counted to 15 and plugged it back in. The system booted properly this time and when it came back up I was able to use both tuners.

Thanks for the assistance. This doesn't help build my confidence in this unit.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

Chances are it just glitched when it downloaded new software and reset. Its a pretty reliable unit.

#7 OFFLINE   redtaco

redtaco

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:20 PM

I had the same problem as avNeophyte. I did a software reset as recommended here and now both tuners are working again! Thanks dbstalk members!

#8 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:30 PM

I had the same problem as avNeophyte. I did a software reset as recommended here and now both tuners are working again! Thanks dbstalk members!

Did you redownload the latest firmware? Or just reset the HR20?

Curious...

pf
DirecTV & Sirius Subscriber - Hardware on Profile
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Bridged | 1080i Str | Rem IR Harmony 676 | HDMI
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 480p Str | Rem RF RC24 | Component
HR21-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 1080i LB | Rem RC32 | Component
uPnP Software: TVersity Pro BETA 1.5
Internet: Fiber 10MB via Surewest, Airlink+ Router

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

Did you redownload the latest firmware? Or just reset the HR20?

Curious...

pf

Resetting/restarting will solve a problem, but I don't think the software will install without it being correct with all of the checksums it does before installation. FWIW it goes into flash memory [much like the BIOS of a motherboard] and would brick the box if it went in bad [unlike software in your computer that goes to the disk],
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:38 AM

After 17e downloaded, I lost tuner 110 on both receivers. I did resets on both to no avail. The channels I lost were in the 70's. Checked channels I receive and they were not there. I think it would be unusual to lose tuner 110 on both receivers, which are the 700's. Any ideas? I did call DTV and they will send a tech out between 4-8 pm today.:(

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:17 AM

After 17e downloaded, I lost tuner 110 on both receivers. I did resets on both to no avail. The channels I lost were in the 70's. Checked channels I receive and they were not there. I think it would be unusual to lose tuner 110 on both receivers, which are the 700's. Any ideas? I did call DTV and they will send a tech out between 4-8 pm today.:(

110 is a SAT and has an LNB, but not a "tuner". Loss of it from two receivers points to something other than the receiver(s). It could be the dish, a multi-switch, or a cable between them.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall