Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yet another application for DLBs - non sports related

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

The lack of DLBs was a bother to me today. For those that haven't heard, two local news helicopters slammed into each other during the coverage of a police chase today here in Phoenix.

During the news coverage, if I had my HR10s I'd be flipping between the two channels that lost their copters today. Channel 3 and Channel 15. During any breaking news event it's really nice to be able to flip between two live buffers, not missing anything.

Using the workaround to record both channels really doesn't work as at that time each show was 30 minutes long in the guide and as one would imagine normal programming was interrupted.

Regardless or our debate on DLBs, my condolences to the staff of KTVK and of KNXV. And prayers to the families of photojournalist Jim Cox, pilot Scott Bowerback, photographer Rick Krolak and pilot Craig Smith.
HR20-100
HR20-700
DTivos

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:27 AM

No doubt, DLB is handy. The FAA investigation will be interesting, to say the least. A most peculiar tragedy....and not unexpected. Having watched a few of these "chase" programs, I had always wondered how long it would be before this happened with all the choppers buzzing about.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

I didn't realize until this happened that there's no air traffic control involvement during these events. All pilots involved communication with one another to avoid instances such as this. Pretty scary when you've got 3 or 4 news choppers in addition to police all flying in one little area.
HR20-100
HR20-700
DTivos

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

While sports is my biggest use of DLBs, you are right on that breaking news is also a very important reason.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

Gulf war one [it's a shame we have to number them now], three TVs in the same room running live 24/7. Even DLB wouldn't have been enough. :)

My heart and prayers go out to those that died & their families.

Part of being a pilot is to keep situational awareness, in combat or piece time flying and always have a plan "B", "C", and....

Cameramen are to do their jobs & pilots are to keep doing theirs.
Something overwhelmed two pilots yesterday.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:18 PM

I use my H20 and HR20 together on the same TV and PIP to monitor two programs at once.;)
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#7 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

You're right that DLB would have made it easier, but you could always just record each and then go into each recording and pad a couple hours if you wanted. Again, I realize it's not as easy, but definitely workable.
- Matt

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

You're right that DLB would have made it easier, but you could always just record each and then go into each recording and pad a couple hours if you wanted. Again, I realize it's not as easy, but definitely workable.

Workable is in the eye of the remote holder. I never found it usable in the least. Admittedly, I have not tried again recently. Perhaps a recent release has solved some of the things I found made "just record both" pretty useless as a suggestion.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:37 PM

Workable is in the eye of the remote holder. I never found it usable in the least. Admittedly, I have not tried again recently. Perhaps a recent release has solved some of the things I found made "just record both" pretty useless as a suggestion.

Cheers,
Tom

Well I only use it to watch 2 football games during the season, but it basically went like this - record both, start playing one recording, when ready to switch, hit list (or stop) and highlight other and press play. Repeat as often as desired.

Not quite as easy as just down arrowing on Tivo and you do have to record both, but even when I had tivo, I still recorded both games because 30 minutes wasn't long enough for me.

And actually, I believe I've counted button presses before and it was only 1 more with the HR20 than Tivo because you had to pause it with tivo before switching tuners, so it's 2 with Tivo and 3 with the HR20. Of course this is after setting up the recordings, which is easier on the HR20.
- Matt

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

But you see, I rarely want to pause and come back to the pause point. I want to flip to the live moment. If something looked good, then I'd like be able to back up. Last time I tried to flip recordings caught up to live, I had to restart from the beginning of the recording. Given how painful the 3 second "press and hold" to get back to live is, the whole situation was basically useless.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#11 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

But you see, I rarely want to pause and come back to the pause point. I want to flip to the live moment. If something looked good, then I'd like be able to back up. Last time I tried to flip recordings caught up to live, I had to restart from the beginning of the recording. Given how painful the 3 second "press and hold" to get back to live is, the whole situation was basically useless.

Cheers,
Tom

Well my goal for a DVR is record something and watch every second of the recording minus commercials obviously. I want to see every snap of 2 games. I don't want to jump to the other game and see they scored a touchdown and have to back up to see how. Apparently, we just watch tv differently, so I guess I can't help you.

Actually, it appears your bigger issue is the crappy jump to live button as opposed to the lack DLB's.
- Matt

#12 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

Ok I have to admit that being able to toggle between the two tuners was very nice. Also having the ability to change channels on one tuner and keep the buffer off the other.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#13 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Well my goal for a DVR is record something and watch every second of the recording minus commercials obviously. I want to see every snap of 2 games. I don't want to jump to the other game and see they scored a touchdown and have to back up to see how. Apparently, we just watch tv differently, so I guess I can't help you.

Actually, it appears your bigger issue is the crappy jump to live button as opposed to the lack DLB's.

Well, i guess my biggest problem is thinking recording two things is a replacement for DLBs. You don't need DLBs. You never did. You really are watching two recordings in near live time. Now, this whole thread is about non-sports examples. Do you record breaking news too? And want to watch that in the same way? (Nothing wrong with that, btw. I want the DVR to support how you want to watch almost as much as I want it to support how I want to watch. But this is a non-sports thread.)

I'm trying to watch two or more live shows with the advantage of two buffers in case I need to backup. Usually one is an anchor.

Yes, I do think the press and hold are useless, but to me that is a parallel issue.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

I didn't realize until this happened that there's no air traffic control involvement during these events. All pilots involved communication with one another to avoid instances such as this. Pretty scary when you've got 3 or 4 news choppers in addition to police all flying in one little area.

The only real time Helicopters deal with ATC is when approaching or crossing an airport. Most of the time they are really on their own.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

In Phoenix, SkyHarbor's control zone covers most of the city, IIRC. SkyHarbor is very close to the downtown and the center of town. One article talks about the helicopters being given access to an area; after that they coordinate with each other for real-time control.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

In Phoenix, SkyHarbor's control zone covers most of the city, IIRC.

Ahh, gotcha.

I know here in the Palm Beach area KPBI doesn't cover much area and helicopters generally only have to contact ATC when crossing over the actual airport property. A few miles south at Lantana airport and you are on your own, no ATC.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

Well, i guess my biggest problem is thinking recording two things is a replacement for DLBs. You don't need DLBs. You never did. You really are watching two recordings in near live time. Now, this whole thread is about non-sports examples. Do you record breaking news too? And want to watch that in the same way? (Nothing wrong with that, btw. I want the DVR to support how you want to watch almost as much as I want it to support how I want to watch. But this is a non-sports thread.)

I'm trying to watch two or more live shows with the advantage of two buffers in case I need to backup. Usually one is an anchor.

Yes, I do think the press and hold are useless, but to me that is a parallel issue.

Cheers,
Tom

You are right, I don't need DLB's and no I can't say I've ever recorded the news. And, no, recording two things is not the same thing as DLB. I think it's an acceptable replacement if you only want to jump between two things and you have the space to record them. Obviously others don't.

To be fair though, in the OP, he said, "not missing anything." To me that implies watching how I watch and not watching how you are saying.
- Matt

#18 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

To be fair though, in the OP, he said, "not missing anything." To me that implies watching how I watch and not watching how you are saying.

The "not missing anything" also applies to starting and stopping recordings if one wants to switch on of the channels being viewed or if the recording of one of the stops.

Tom mentioned an anchor channel and that's how I tend to watch live events. One is the anchor and at times I'm surfing the other. Plus at times I want to pause the feed I'm not watching and at other times I don't.
HR20-100
HR20-700
DTivos

#19 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:25 AM

The "not missing anything" also applies to starting and stopping recordings if one wants to switch on of the channels being viewed or if the recording of one of the stops.

Tom mentioned an anchor channel and that's how I tend to watch live events. One is the anchor and at times I'm surfing the other. Plus at times I want to pause the feed I'm not watching and at other times I don't.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say in the first sentence.

As for the second, I always say the record both things DLB workaround is only for 2 things. If you want to jump around to more than 2 things, then it won't work for you. I never need more than 2 things, so it's acceptable for me.
- Matt

spam firewall