Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Effect of Weather on Sattelite Reception

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smakovits

smakovits

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

I have been pondering the idea of satellite for some time, but there are still two things holding me back. I am located in Independence/Broadview Heights in Ohio.

My first concern is my HD coverage. I love my HD local channels and I am going to be stuck using an off air antenna...I am afraid I am going to have an eye sore in the middle of my room with an an antenna there to pick up my hd local channels. What kind of success can I have if I use one of those add ons to a direct tv satellite or if I try to hide an antenna in say a back room or attick?

My second concern is disruption due to weather. I always hear that this is what hinders the quality of satellite. Being in northeast ohio can I expect any major interruption due to light to heavy snow fall. Also, how would rain and storms effect reception. I would become angree if I was in the middle of watching something and my picture constantly broke up due to loss of signal.

I am not sure if this is the right place for this post, so i apologize if it is not, but I am really trying to figure out if the switch would be worth it. And if I did, then I have to decide if I want the free hd dvr from dish, or is i want the big ten network from direct tv, which is truly better, or is this a battle that has no real winner. thanks for any and all insight in my pursuit of happiness and possible switch to satellite from my crappy COX cable service which I currently am stuck with as it is my only other option

Also, how is the guide navigation, does it respond quickly without any lag, or am I constantly gonna be waiting on it to refresh?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

go to antennaweb.org to determine how big an antenna you need. You could get lucky and be close enough to just use one on top of the TV or even in your attic if you're concerned about the eyesore factor. If it has to be on the top of your house, then you might not want to do it if it's going to bother you (I'd feel the same way, btw).

As for weather, it is definitely an issue at times, but it depends on the storm. I had felt like lately it seemed to go out more than normal, but today we had a violent lighting storm and it never skipped a beat.

I don't know if I'm fully following your guide question, but if you're asking about its speed, I don't think there's any kind of lag there.

Hope that helps a bit...I'm sure you'll have plenty of others chime in.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#3 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

The weather question comes up here frequently. The consensus is it's not a major problem but outages do occurr during the most intense rain storms.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#4 OFFLINE   DarthGeek

DarthGeek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan where we receive the occasional 8-12 inches of snowfall in a day. I've had DirecTV since January and have not once lost signal (that I'm aware of either by watching, or recording). I've had a couple instances where for several minutes, it would pixelate and "skip" for a couple of seconds per minute, but it never lasted more than 5 minutes or so. It was slightly annoying, but wasn't enough that I couldn't follow the show I was watching.

Before DirecTV I had Dish Network and I only recall one time where I lost signal (where the screen would actually tell me I lost signal). It was lost for maybe 5 minutes.

I must say, I do feel fortunate. A friend of mine has Dish Network and will lose signal nearly every time it rains.

The bottom line: I beleive it all comes down to positioning of the dish, which affects signal strength. My DirecTV receiver reports 96-98 signal strength across the board during clear days (I've never really checked during a storm). My friend's Dish Network receiver reports the upper 70's and low 80's across the board (some 60's even). Since he starts at a lower signal strength, it probably doesn't take as much to drop the signal too low to use.

One more thing to add (sorta off topic, but I have to share). I have Charter high speed internet (cable) and many of my neighbors have Charter cable TV. On two separate occasions for about 1.5 days, my neighbors didn't have TV. Charter was having wide spread issues (so I lost my internet too). But it was just funny that I could watch TV whilst my neighbors cable TV was out of service.

Just my $0.02

#5 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:47 PM

The weather question comes up here frequently. The consensus is it's not a major problem but outages do occurr during the most intense rain storms.

--- CHAS

Pretty much. When it is raising badly, my D* suffers quite badly.

But, it works flawlessly outside of that and I have a DVR so I just watch pre-recorded shows.

It really is not that bad.

#6 OFFLINE   Redlinetire

Redlinetire

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

I can't answer your OTA question, but I can agree with the consensus on the weather. I'm near Detroit and once a season (it always seems to be late November, Early December during college B-ball!) we always get a really wet, heavy snow that'll stick to my dish. That's the only time I've had a weather problem. And as DarthGeek mentioned about cable - I had Comcast before I went back to D* and my DVR went out for several days with no explanation from Comcast other than "our technicians are aware of the problem and are working on it".

So no one can really promise 100% uptime, except maybe OTA...
TiVo Series3 --> Toshiba 34HFX83 (CRT)

#7 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

I've experienced my first two rain fades recently.
I'm a newbie 2-week subscriber so far.

First time it was relatively hard rain -- lost all signal until the rain completely quit.

Second time it was hard rain.
Lost signal for 4 minutes, then it came back perfectly even though the rain hadn't let up. I can't figure that out.

D* | 2ea HR24-500

spam firewall