Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR-20 install - questions, issues?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

Been a DTV user since 1995, just moved from a couple of standard Tivos to two new HR-20s on our move to Kansas City from Chicago. Good install last night, but now I have a couple of questions.

Set-up: Den has an HDTV television, bedroom TV does not have HD capability (but got the HR-20 because we plan on getting an HDTV for the bedroom and Direct TV gave us the receivers for free on the move.)

First question: bedroom TV - we get the HD locals, but no other locals. Zipcode is set correctly, and we get all the locals downstairs on the Den setup. Any ideas? No filters are set, etc.

Second question: what should the HD setting be set to on a non-HD TV? The installer set it to 1080i.

Thanks! Jeff

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 836 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

Locals have to be authorized on a per-access-card basis. Call 800-DIRECTV and when prompted, enter the "extension" from the error message. This should send the authorization signal.

Does the TV have only composite or S-Video inputs? If so, it doesn't really matter as 480i is all you get. But it probably makes sense to disable all but 480i in the resolutions.

Steve

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:05 AM

Been a DTV user since 1995, just moved from a couple of standard Tivos to two new HR-20s on our move to Kansas City from Chicago. Good install last night, but now I have a couple of questions.

Set-up: Den has an HDTV television, bedroom TV does not have HD capability (but got the HR-20 because we plan on getting an HDTV for the bedroom and Direct TV gave us the receivers for free on the move.)

First question: bedroom TV - we get the HD locals, but no other locals. Zipcode is set correctly, and we get all the locals downstairs on the Den setup. Any ideas? No filters are set, etc.

Second question: what should the HD setting be set to on a non-HD TV? The installer set it to 1080i.

Thanks! Jeff

:welcome_s to DBSTalk

Try doing a menu reset to see if you can get the SD local channels to pop up. As far as the settings go. Change it to 4x3, Native OFF, and 480i only.

#4 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

What great response and on a Sunday morning! ;)

OK - set the HD to 480i and Native:off (and I'll look up what the native does, etc.) I notice that the HD channels on this TV come in with sidebars, I can see that I can set things in HD to stretch, crop, letterbox, I'll worry about that later.

Now, here's a simple question: my local networks have an SD channel and an HD channel. But they have the same channel number! So on the SD TV up here, if I simply hit, say, 9, on the remote, I get the HD channel (which I don't want) and then have to push the down button to get the "next" 9. Is there an easy way to go directly to the SD channel without going to the guide? Also, when you set up a recording or season pass, how do you tell it which channel when they have the same channel number?

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

The HR20 is designed to be an HD DVR, so pushing the channel number will always take you to the HD version before the SD version. If you're using it on an SD TV I understand that it's not logical, but it's they way they programmed it.

You can create a custom favorites list that only includes SD channels and choose from the guide if you want.

As to your second question, I'll answer it as best I can not being in Kansas City (you'll understand in a second).

SD Channels are listed with the two letter city code and a number. In my case it is LA2, LA4, etc. For you it's probably something like KC5. Your HD locals are listed by their call letter, for me that's KABC, KNBC, etc. For you it's probably something like KCTV. Also when searching, HD programs are listed with an HD icon next to them.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

Got it - thanks. And I see in setting up a season pass that it is fairly simple to pick which "9" I want.

So, I guess the BEST answer is to get an HD TV for the bedroom. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

So, I guess the BEST answer is to get an HD TV for the bedroom. ;)

Once you see the HD, you'll be addicted, so that is certainly the BEST answer
Trigger

#8 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, and my 37" Samsung CRT in the den, even though it is HD with 1080i, just really doesn't show it very well. (I'm still trying to figure out how to use the native on, native off, stretch, crop, etc. for that TV - the family is used to letterbox strips on the top and botton but they hate bars on the side. And for some reason the letterbox mode seems to have a noisy line at the top of the letterbox.)

spam firewall