Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 plus 10-250 use + q. about wireless media share

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   quadgirl

quadgirl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

Hi all. Here is my next question, being the pig that I am. Loving my 3 day old HR20 and have learned to use the media share wired directly to Twowire router. Now I have a couple more questions:

1. I have my HD setup in the den (new HR20, Samsung HD tv, Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver, yadda yadda). In my living room, I have my older Samsung 2 tuner directivo receiver. I wish to somehow use my old 10-250 either in the HD room or the SD room (no HD tv in there, but can maybe split coax to incorporate 10-250?). My HR20 has the bbc's in the back. Would it be possible to use an older multiswitch to split the 2 coax's for sat and the one for ota and send info. to 10-250 -(in line before the bbc)? I'm doubting it but wondering. I have only the 2 sat coaxes and one ota coming into the house. When 5 lnb dish stuff put in Thursday, installer did not run any more coax.

Other possibility is maybe using it (10-250)for sd in the living room (in addition to the existing samsung brand tivo/directv combo). If I did that could I just use a regular splitter or multiswitch (left over from a few years ago when I used to send coax to second tv) and split the signal? I also have a yamaha receiver in that setup. So I guess I'd be naming the 10-250 something else so I could switch between sources using the yamaha?

So, is any of that possible? If not, can you think outside the box for another way to use it? Maybe making use of usb or other jacks on it??? I have no idea, just would like to use it if I could.

2. Unrelated question - this one is about media share. My success in using it is limited since hardwiring meant going from one room to the other (about 20 feet total) around a corner where a door is, so not practical to keep wire showing and preventing door closure. Den is on a slab, other room very little crawl space (and I couldn't do that anyway), so no way to just run ethernet cable under house. Can I use the media share wirelessly (kinda like notebook recognizes network and all but doesn't hook up? I have one combo router thing called TwoWire (from Bellsouth and used for DSL as well as networking). It had like 4 extra jacks on it and that is how I hooked up (wired) media share. Is there an easy way to use media share wirelessly into my existing twowire? I've heard talk of game something or others and would be willing to buy one if it is pretty easy. Otherwise, I don't really mind just physically hooking up when I want to view pics and play music, but did note upon unplugging it today that it immediately removes the pic/music option from the menu, so guess I'd have to fully setup each time. Would like to find a fix and use every possible thing I can on my new toy!

Thanks in advance for any help you may have for either question. :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

1. No, you can't use multiswitches as "splitters" like that. Your installer was lazy and should have run all four lines from your new 5-LNB dish to a Zinwell WB68 eight-output multiswitch in your house. From there you would have eight connections to feed your HR20, HR10-250, and other receivers. Try to multiswitch just two cables downstream will not work because you'll lose signals from some of the satellites.

2. Yes, you can use wireless LAN with your HR20. Check out the tips here ....
http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=115

Essentially you'll need to a "wireless gaming adapter".
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

spam firewall