Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Playlist sorting doesn't work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

I have My Playlist set to sort by title (A-Z), but that doesn't happen. Anytime something new is recorded that goes to the top of the list.
Hitting menu and choosing List by.. and the Title (A-Z) has no effect.

I have used the Edgecutter menu and that too is set to Title (A-Z). Sheesh...I wonder if they check anything before releasing it?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   brianp6621

brianp6621

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

I have My Playlist set to sort by title (A-Z), but that doesn't happen. Anytime something new is recorded that goes to the top of the list.

I have used the Edgecutter menu and that too is set to Title (A-Z). Sheesh...I wonder if they check anything before releasing it?

Stuff that is currently recording is always at the top. Are you sure you checked again later after it finished recording?

#3 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

What is displayed in the My Playlist tab when you change the list order from the menu? Mine showed "My Playlist, List by Title (A-Z)" and then I went to the menu, chose List By, selected "Title (A-Z)" and the tab title changed to "My Playlist, List by Title (A-Z)".

I have used the Edgecutter menu and that too is set to Title (A-Z).

My EDGECUTTER hidden menu is set to "Keep Last Sort".

Sheesh...I wonder if they check anything before releasing it?

I just ran a test. I set my list to A-Z title sort, went to the guide, pressed REC on a channel. Went to list and that currently recording program was at the TOP of the list, with all items under it in A-Z order. From the playlist, I pressed enter on the title currently recording, I canceled it, and kept the program instead of deleting it. When I returned to the playlist, that title was now listed in the proper location alphabetically.

Looks like it's working to me!

#4 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

What is displayed in the My Playlist tab when you change the list order from the menu? Mine showed "My Playlist, List by Title (A-Z)" and then I went to the menu, chose List By, selected "Title (A-Z)" and the tab title changed to "My Playlist, List by Title (A-Z)".

My EDGECUTTER hidden menu is set to "Keep Last Sort".

I just ran a test. I set my list to A-Z title sort, went to the guide, pressed REC on a channel. Went to list and that currently recording program was at the TOP of the list, with all items under it in A-Z order. From the playlist, I pressed enter on the title currently recording, I canceled it, and kept the program instead of deleting it. When I returned to the playlist, that title was now listed in the proper location alphabetically.

Looks like it's working to me!

Tab is set and states Title A-Z
Edgecutter Menu set to Title A-Z
Hit Menu and chose List By Title A-Z

Looked at list titles were not sorted A-Z
Exited out of all the menus...tried again..Titles were not sorted A-Z

Looks like it is NOT working to me. But perhaps I'm wrong. C could come before A in some people's alphabet.

#5 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:39 AM

Stuff that is currently recording is always at the top. Are you sure you checked again later after it finished recording?

Thanks, I'll check again when I get back to my office...What happens when two shows are recording?

Seems to me Title Sorted by A-Z should be just that...but if that's how it is stated to work it's not a big deal.

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,106 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

Have you gone to the "hidden" menu which Drew2k mentioned (press Menu + Info on front panel) and selected "Keep Last Sort"? Unless you do this, it will revert to sorting by date and time.

#7 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

Tab is set and states Title A-Z
Edgecutter Menu set to Title A-Z
Hit Menu and chose List By Title A-Z

Looked at list titles were not sorted A-Z
Exited out of all the menus...tried again..Titles were not sorted A-Z

Looks like it is NOT working to me. But perhaps I'm wrong. C could come before A in some people's alphabet.

From your other post, you're in the office and not in front of the HR20, so this will have to wait. Please post a screen capture if you can.

If you don't have the EDGECUTTER option to "Keep Last Sort", anytime you leave and return to the Playlist, it will be the system default (by date). EDIT: Correction, it won't go to the system date, it will go to whatever option you have selected in the EDGECUTTER hidden menu.

However, even if you don't have Keep Last Sort, using MENU & LIST BY should change your playlist immediately while you are still in the playlist.

#8 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Have you gone to the "hidden" menu which Drew2k mentioned (press Menu + Info on front panel) and selected "Keep Last Sort"? Unless you do this, it will revert to sorting by date and time.

That's the Edgecutter menu I referred to. Although why would you have to set something in a hidden if there is a List by... menu as well. No matter I tried both ways.

It was originally set on Keep Last Sort...that didn't work.
I then set it to Title A-Z. You would think setting that menu to Title by A-Z would do that.

Anyway...Brian's post about a program being recorded may be the issue...That I'll check in a bit. Even if it is...it makes no sense.

Thanks for you response though (Seriously).

#9 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:55 AM

From your other post, you're in the office and not in front of the HR20, so this will have to wait. Please post a screen capture if you can.

If you don't have the EDGECUTTER option to "Keep Last Sort", anytime you leave and return to the Playlist, it will be the system default (by date). However, even if you don't have Keep Last Sort, using MENU & LIST BY should change your playlist immediately while you are still in the playlist.

Drew...my office is in my house :)

On the Edgecutter menu there are other choices...including Title by A-Z. Does this not work?

#10 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

Drew...my office is in my house :)

On the Edgecutter menu there are other choices...including Title by A-Z. Does this not work?

The office location - that's convenient! :)

It should work, and here's how: If you chose Title A-Z (reverse order) as your default for the Playlist, no matter where you were in the HR20 inteface and what you are doing, every time you went to the Playlist it should be sorted A-Z. If you use the Menu > List By option to change the sort order, it will only be in that order during your current session in the Playlist. If you exit and return, the Playlist should now be in the order you set from the EDGEGUTTER menu, namely A-Z order.

So ... that should be working for you.

You said you had one program recording, so that one would always be at the top. You're positive the titles below were NOT in A-Z order? It seems silly to ask you to confirm that, but maybe the top line showing the current program being recorded threw you off? Is there anything funny going on with grouping behavior?

Not sure what else to ask ... :confused:

(By the way, I was wrong earlier about the default sort order, so I edited my earlier post.)

#11 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

The office location - that's convenient! :)

It should work, and here's how: If you chose Title A-Z (reverse order) as your default for the Playlist, no matter where you were in the HR20 inteface and what you are doing, every time you went to the Playlist it should be sorted A-Z. If you use the Menu > List By option to change the sort order, it will only be in that order during your current session in the Playlist. If you exit and return, the Playlist should now be in the order you set from the EDGEGUTTER menu, namely A-Z order.

So ... that should be working for you.

You said you had one program recording, so that one would always be at the top. You're positive the titles below were NOT in A-Z order? It seems silly to ask you to confirm that, but maybe the top line showing the current program being recorded threw you off? Is there anything funny going on with grouping behavior?

Not sure what else to ask ... :confused:

Drew,

It was the shows being recorded that throw the list off. The guide data was off and it was still recording a show that had ended about 30 minutes before (no big deal since it was a live event).

So, it's Titles A-Z except anything that is currently recording? They could put an asterisk or an ® by something that is being recorded in the list rather than doing the sort incorrectly. I guess I'd ask why they do that...as it doesn't make much sense to me when they have a sort by date option already...but it's not that big a deal.

Thanks to all that responded and Brian for picking up on the issue right away.

#12 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,106 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

A program which is being recorded will have an R in the playlist. It will be at the top. The rest of the list should be ordered by your sort preferences.

#13 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

I just tried a quick experiment. List sorted A-Z. Recorded NASCAR. It went to the top of the list while recording (and, yes, there was an R there, despite what Ken was saying).

I did another record button on it while in the list. And told it to stop and delete. It stopped recording, moved the program down below Miracle Planet then deleted it.

I then tried again with a stop and keep. It moved it immediately.

Since you can only record two things at once, moving them to the top is not a nuisance but it is handy when checking what is recording.

(Ken, you jumped to a conclusion and started ranting. :) )
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#14 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

I just tried a quick experiment. List sorted A-Z. Recorded NASCAR. It went to the top of the list while recording (and, yes, there was an R there, despite what Ken was saying).

I did another record button on it while in the list. And told it to stop and delete. It stopped recording, moved the program down below Miracle Planet then deleted it.

I then tried again with a stop and keep. It moved it immediately.

Since you can only record two things at once, moving them to the top is not a nuisance but it is handy when checking what is recording.

(Ken, you jumped to a conclusion and started ranting. :) )

No, there was no R by the listing or I would have guessed why it was not in alphabetical order even though that was the sort I had chosen. Perhaps you were at my house and saw something different than I did? Perhaps there is some of that famous "housekeeping" delay the HR-20 needs after a show ends. Maybe the "R" goes away if you change sorts...I have no idea and really am not all that interested in researching why it would happen. Certainly, other sorts they have said would happen don't (like channel priority).

Whether there was a recording going on or not...the sort was supposed to be alphabetical. If I wanted it sorted by date I would select that option (which would logically bring a recorded show to the top)

So, I didn't jump to a conclusion. I looked at what was set...saw something different and posted about it.

You can say you like it the way they do it...but in the end the sort isn't happening the way it is documented on screen now is it?

Is this a big deal...no. But I said that several posts ago when based on Brian's post he figured out that's what must be happening. You followed up for some other reason I'm sure.

P.S. On another issue the alphabetical sort is dealing with "The" differently than searches now. A Show that starts with "The" will be listed in the Ts. Whereas the search option will not consider the "The". In general, it would be better if the show was listed as Wiggles, The rather than "The Wiggles", "The Bronx is Burning", etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...