Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Temporary Audio Loss After FF or Pause

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   newlions

newlions

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

I have an HR20 connected to a Samsung HT-Q40 Home Theatre via Optical Audio cable. To hear audio, I select Digital In as the audio source (for optical) and I am able to hear my DVR audio in surround, with no problems. However, when I do this intially there is a noticiable delay (6-7 secs) until it begins. I also have this delay after I use the fast forward to get through a set of commercials or pause/unpause. Is this normal behavior? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

not sure if this a bug or not?
some things to check for.

double check for any kinks in the fiber optical cable.
make sure the ends is free of any dust bunnies.
make sure the ends is properly seated into audio port.

but..... every since i had the hr20, it always had a audio delay when using TP (trick play). now when just using analog audio there is no delay that i experienced.
someone may come along with a better use of terms. i would say it's a delay on the optical side of things on our receivers. would i say this is normal?
yes to a point, since i have used a Sony 6.1 surround and my current Onkyo 7.1 system. they both done the same thing with audio delay. it has became "normal" to me for i became use to it.
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#3 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

Just a thought, and I could be way off, but could there be a power save setting on the amp that's dropping the feed when you pause and then powering back up when it senses a signal again?

My subwoofer had soemething like that. Easy enough to disable.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#4 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

Just a thought, and I could be way off, but could there be a power save setting on the amp that's dropping the feed when you pause and then powering back up when it senses a signal again?

My subwoofer had soemething like that. Easy enough to disable.

the Sony is told old to have this advance setting menu to adjust anything.
but to eliminate the possibility of this. i'll re-check the Onkyo for this, but pretty sure it doesn't as well.

update,
there is no adjustment in any menu. called Onkyo's tech department today to see if there were a adjustment. simple answer "no" was his reply. as what Hasan and Texasbrit already stated it's the AV receiver re-syncing the digital audio source.
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#5 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:23 AM

I have an HR20 connected to a Samsung HT-Q40 Home Theatre via Optical Audio cable. To hear audio, I select Digital In as the audio source (for optical) and I am able to hear my DVR audio in surround, with no problems. However, when I do this intially there is a noticiable delay (6-7 secs) until it begins. I also have this delay after I use the fast forward to get through a set of commercials or pause/unpause. Is this normal behavior? Thanks.

Could it possibly be that the HR20 and your receiver are trying to sync up?
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

Could it possibly be that the HR20 and your receiver are trying to sync up?

Yes it could, as it is a VERY common problem. I watch my Onkyo 605 do it every time, and thank God it does...because the alternative is some very nasty sounding noise as things try to "line up". I can watch this process happen on the front display of my Onkyo...it's quite normal.

How long it takes is another matter, that is dependent on the HT receiver and how quickly it can sync up to the restored audio data stream.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

Yes it could, as it is a VERY common problem. I watch my Onkyo 605 do it every time, and thank God it does...because the alternative is some very nasty sounding noise as things try to "line up". I can watch this process happen on the front display of my Onkyo...it's quite normal.

How long it takes is another matter, that is dependent on the HT receiver and how quickly it can sync up to the restored audio data stream.

Some receivers sync to the audio data stream faster then others, but overall it's not usually a problem unless you have an A/V receiver that does NOT mute the audio while syncing - then as Hasan says you can get strange screeching noises or loud clicks. Many A/V receivers were not designed to handle the frequent interruption of the digital audio stream that you get with DirecTV - "trick play", going to PCM for newsbreaks and commercials etc

spam firewall