Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Distant Networks: When Will They Be Disabled?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,208 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

I would be interested in hearing more about this. I found this link but it doesn't say much:

http://www.dbstalk.c...t=distant $5.95

It would be nice to be able to get an L.A. channel here in NYC. I wonder if they will offer that.

Not sure if this will sway any opinions, but from posts I've seen about this, customers in L.A. can only get the N.Y. channels in SD ... no NY HD channels.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:22 AM

I am eligible for HD DNS because I am too far for OTA and get no local HD from D*.

I was given the choice of east or west DNS channels.

I can't see DNS ever being freely available. The local stations want you to watch your locals, because their ratings depend on it. The networks want you to watch your locals, because your locals pay the networks for programming. The DNS stations receive no benefit from distant viewers, as they do not count in the ratings.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#28 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:59 AM

One thing nice about not getting the new MPEG4 receivers is the Local Digitals are "not available". So, I have the Distant Digitals from NYC and get some of the Local digitals OTA. :)

Yes, DIRECTV in its infinite wisdon took away my LA Distant Digitals with a letter as stated in an earlier post by another.

Also, have the NTSC locals and Distants from NYC and LA. Had these when the new law came in, so I kept them. :)

#29 OFFLINE   puffnstuff

puffnstuff

Icon

• Registered
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

There may be some good news for people like me wants to get out of market from other citys.:)

They are testing it in L.A. areas by bringing in WNBC from NYC for $5.95 a month with no waiver needed, on Directv and for life of me I can't find this thread that's talks about it this subject.

Please hunt it down and post the link!!:lol:

And also other good new is that congress critters saying they are prospsing the H.R. bill 2821 that would allow you to get your next door TV market!:)

Follow this thread here on dbstalk....... http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=90570

For example I live in Albuquerque and if this bill pass, then I can get El Paso, Denver, Colorado Spring and few other TV markets that around our New Mexico state.

7-30-07

The next door market thing would be great . I had Baltimore locals for about 5 years and then all of a sudden they were gone and DTV basicly said to bad . When I called them to activate a new reciever I used to get asked DC , Baltimore , or both now nothing just DC . When I asked what had happened they acted like I was crazy and said that I must have been mistaken about getting them before .

#30 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

Multichannel News had an article about this issue yesterday:

http://www.multichan.../CA6464524.html

It remains to be seen whether the proposed legislation, which would change some of the rules regarding exclusive local TV signals, goes anywhere. The broadcasters have money and lobbyists, which is why the rules have always been stacked in their favor.

#31 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

One thing nice about not getting the new MPEG4 receivers is the Local Digitals are "not available". So, I have the Distant Digitals from NYC and get some of the Local digitals OTA. :)

Yes, DIRECTV in its infinite wisdon took away my LA Distant Digitals with a letter as stated in an earlier post by another.

Also, have the NTSC locals and Distants from NYC and LA. Had these when the new law came in, so I kept them. :)

I think I had my Distants from NYC and LA before the new law came in. So does that mean we get to keep them :confused:

#32 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

I think I had my Distants from NYC and LA before the new law came in. So does that mean we get to keep them :confused:

Dolly, I think if I were you, I'd be very, very quiet about this. I know I am.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#33 OFFLINE   Xram

Xram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

I know i have been very quiet. :D
4 - HR20-700 's
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR20-100
1 - R15
WB616
Slimline

#34 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

I know i have been very quiet. :D

Well I actually talked with a D CSR about this and he said (and I don't know how much of what he said was just his thoughts on the subject or what he actually knew to be true), but he said at some point everyone would lose their distants. But he didn't say when "some point" would be.

#35 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:06 PM

I just recently discovered, quite by accident that I can get a couple of "distant
network" live streams on the internet! These streams are 24/7 with commercial
content, etc. Granted, the quality is nowhere near what it is via satellite but it
is watchable.

#36 OFFLINE   Xram

Xram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

Well I actually talked with a D CSR about this and he said (and I don't know how much of what he said was just his thoughts on the subject or what he actually knew to be true), but he said at some point everyone would lose their distants. But he didn't say when "some point" would be.

I hope not, but have been expecting it. I use the distants for recording conflicts and the occasional low speed car chases LA is famous for. :lol:
4 - HR20-700 's
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR20-100
1 - R15
WB616
Slimline

#37 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:17 AM

I'm kinda really po'ed at D* about this. I've had east & west coast feeds of the big 4 since D* took over from P*, and when I called D* to ask about upgrading to HD service I specifically asked about my distant feeds. I was told at the time that since I already had SD distants, I would automatically get the HD versions of them when I signed up for the service.

After I got my new H20 set up, however, I found my channels 81, 83, 87 and 89 all gave me a 721 "not purchased" message. (The SDs at 381, 383, 387 and 389 are still active, thankfully)

When I called D* after discovering this, I'm NOW told that I was given the wrong information initially, and I cannot possibly have/get those channels. :(

Hey, y'know the guide only shows me channels I am actually able to receive, right? So I know it's not a technical limitation, right? Seems like there must be some secret password I could utter to get 'em turned on. :(

- Chip

#38 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:34 AM

If you lived west of the Mississippi you could get them, but if you "move" you will lose your distants.

#39 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:55 AM

The people in Congress and their laws get me :barf: I say if it is possible for a service to be provided (and D can certainly provide the Nationals) and people want to pay for that service then let people have what they want. The law is just to protect locals like mine that are :icon_lame :mad:

Actually, it would not possible as the current affiliate agreements prevent signing rebroadcast agreements with any MSO that will allow the network programming outside of your DMA, so that will be tied into the rebroadcast agreements stations sign with E* and D* (and already is in a number of instances).

Furthermore, the politicians already passed a law giving them the lowest unit rate on Television and Radio stations. They want you to see their commercial when it comes to re-election time, not to mention they want you to hear the news about what the "incumbent" has done for the years leading up to the election.

#40 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

I was surprised too, but hey I wasn't going to make them aware of it either. Truth is, I don't get much benefit from having them where I live now. I rarely have conflicts and I'm stuck with 8pm primetime viewing. I have 3 DVR's in the house so conflicts could be resolved that way. More I think about it, the more I'm leaning to canceling them, but I know if I cancel them I'll never get them back, so I'm a little torn about it.

I cancelled my disnets because the networks moved shows every week it seemed. So I got mad.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#41 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

With dual-tuner DVRs, most people probably wouldn't even care about distant feeds except for the bad behavior of the local stations with their on-screen promos for the local news, interruptions for local news stories, and beeping storm warnings that go on endlessly (except during the commercials). I'm hoping the availability of VOD for network shows will discourage these practices.

#42 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,181 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:07 PM

Whether or not you have a MPEG4-capable receiver has no bearing on eligiibility for DNS.

#43 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

I'm kinda really po'ed at D* about this. I've had east & west coast feeds of the big 4 since D* took over from P*, and when I called D* to ask about upgrading to HD service I specifically asked about my distant feeds. I was told at the time that since I already had SD distants, I would automatically get the HD versions of them when I signed up for the service.
After I got my new H20 set up, however, I found my channels 81, 83, 87 and 89 all gave me a 721 "not purchased" message. (The SDs at 381, 383, 387 and 389 are still active, thankfully)
When I called D* after discovering this, I'm NOW told that I was given the wrong information initially, and I cannot possibly have/get those channels. :(
Hey, y'know the guide only shows me channels I am actually able to receive, right? So I know it's not a technical limitation, right? Seems like there must be some secret password I could utter to get 'em turned on. :(

Call and explain all this to the HD DNS Qualification Department.

The regular CSRs don't understand HD DNS and the easy answer is "No." I can't promise you'll get them back, of course, but the HD DNS Qualification Department is the department you need.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#44 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:34 PM

- Chip

It doesn't help you now, but the more you deal with D*, you will learn if it comes out the mouth of a CSR, it's most likely wrong.

#45 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:46 AM

So if the one of two that I want to be correct is - in fact - correct, how do I get my channels turned on and get rid of the 721 notice? :)

- Chip

It doesn't help you now, but the more you deal with D*, you will learn if it comes out the mouth of a CSR, it's most likely wrong.

#46 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

So if the one of two that I want to be correct is - in fact - correct, how do I get my channels turned on and get rid of the 721 notice? :)

- Chip

same thing happend to me when i signed up, i just called a couple of times, it took about an hour to get resolved, but they did it. had to reboot the box a couple of times to get it recognized by the system, or so they told me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...