Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Distant Networks: When Will They Be Disabled?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

With dual-tuner DVRs, most people probably wouldn't even care about distant feeds except for the bad behavior of the local stations with their on-screen promos for the local news, interruptions for local news stories, and beeping storm warnings that go on endlessly (except during the commercials). I'm hoping the availability of VOD for network shows will discourage these practices.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:07 PM

One thing nice about not getting the new MPEG4 receivers is the Local Digitals are "not available". So, I have the Distant Digitals from NYC and get some of the Local digitals OTA. :)

Yes, DIRECTV in its infinite wisdon took away my LA Distant Digitals with a letter as stated in an earlier post by another.

Also, have the NTSC locals and Distants from NYC and LA. Had these when the new law came in, so I kept them. :)

Whether or not you have a MPEG4-capable receiver has no bearing on eligiibility for DNS.

#43 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

I'm kinda really po'ed at D* about this. I've had east & west coast feeds of the big 4 since D* took over from P*, and when I called D* to ask about upgrading to HD service I specifically asked about my distant feeds. I was told at the time that since I already had SD distants, I would automatically get the HD versions of them when I signed up for the service.
After I got my new H20 set up, however, I found my channels 81, 83, 87 and 89 all gave me a 721 "not purchased" message. (The SDs at 381, 383, 387 and 389 are still active, thankfully)
When I called D* after discovering this, I'm NOW told that I was given the wrong information initially, and I cannot possibly have/get those channels. :(
Hey, y'know the guide only shows me channels I am actually able to receive, right? So I know it's not a technical limitation, right? Seems like there must be some secret password I could utter to get 'em turned on. :(

Call and explain all this to the HD DNS Qualification Department.

The regular CSRs don't understand HD DNS and the easy answer is "No." I can't promise you'll get them back, of course, but the HD DNS Qualification Department is the department you need.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#44 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:34 PM

I'm kinda really po'ed at D* about this. I've had east & west coast feeds of the big 4 since D* took over from P*, and when I called D* to ask about upgrading to HD service I specifically asked about my distant feeds. I was told at the time that since I already had SD distants, I would automatically get the HD versions of them when I signed up for the service.

After I got my new H20 set up, however, I found my channels 81, 83, 87 and 89 all gave me a 721 "not purchased" message. (The SDs at 381, 383, 387 and 389 are still active, thankfully)

When I called D* after discovering this, I'm NOW told that I was given the wrong information initially, and I cannot possibly have/get those channels. :(

Hey, y'know the guide only shows me channels I am actually able to receive, right? So I know it's not a technical limitation, right? Seems like there must be some secret password I could utter to get 'em turned on. :(

- Chip

It doesn't help you now, but the more you deal with D*, you will learn if it comes out the mouth of a CSR, it's most likely wrong.

#45 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:46 AM

So if the one of two that I want to be correct is - in fact - correct, how do I get my channels turned on and get rid of the 721 notice? :)

- Chip

It doesn't help you now, but the more you deal with D*, you will learn if it comes out the mouth of a CSR, it's most likely wrong.

#46 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

So if the one of two that I want to be correct is - in fact - correct, how do I get my channels turned on and get rid of the 721 notice? :)

- Chip

same thing happend to me when i signed up, i just called a couple of times, it took about an hour to get resolved, but they did it. had to reboot the box a couple of times to get it recognized by the system, or so they told me.

spam firewall