Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wii Wii Wii all the way home....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

Well at breakfast yesterday, the ad for Best Buy said that all stores would have a minimum of 12 Wii's available.

So on the way home, I pass two Best Buys...
First one don't like going there, too small now.. :)

Passed the new one, and there was a modest line...
So I decided to stop.... I have been "semi" attempting to get a Wii since the holidays... basically checking if the system is on the shelf.

Well... I stopped, was handed a "line" ticket... number 27....
Found out later I was Number 27 out of 29...

This particular BestBuy got 30 units... #30 was being held for a customer's unit that failed earlier in the week.

So I trotted home with a New Wii... Mario Party 8.... and one happy little kid in the backseat (my son).....

Wii is a neat little system... and the fact that it is backward compatible with GameCube... SWEET.... even better.

Going through the list of classics available for download.... darn shame Nintendo can't make them any faster...

Now I am just debating about purchasing the LAN adapter or not...
I do have wireless in the house, but I also wired the entire house for networking. $24.95 at the Nintendo store...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   premio

premio

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

I haven't followed the wii hype in lately, and am shocked to find it is still selling out?? It is definately a fun system. Super paper mario was a great throwback to some of the older games, and I'd reccomend that one.

I guess I was extremely lucky! I pre-ordered one at launch by walking into a gamestop right at 10, no line, and the didn't sell out of their pre-orders for another 24 hours.

At least now you don't have to wait too long for the new metroid. :)

-n
<!---
It's Comcastic!
--->

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

Great system... I have one at home. I tried to get my wireless and had issues hooking up to an old wireless router so I went the connected route. Works great.

I would also recommend Paper Mario. Very unique game with the 3d/2d modes and how they work together. My Son is loving it.

Mario Strickers (Out tomorrow) also looks like it will be fun. Be able to play two Wii boxes networked with two people on each one. Could really have some fun online gaming there.

We are looking foward to Smash Bros release at the end of the year. Defnitely a lot of fun and the more you play it the more you feel sucked in my the way you interact with it.

You definitely should get hooked in to the net since that is the way you can the updates and there is a poll app that is pretty cool.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

and one happy little kid in the backseat

And a happy big kid in the front seat. :D Congrats on getting one. I haven't purchased one, but have played with my brother's. Very impressive system.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:44 PM

All due respect, when do you have time to play Wii?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:46 PM

I've had mine since May, my son loves it. I have it wirelessly connected with no problems. The votes channel is a lot of fun. Be sure and download the internet channel too.

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

All due respect, when do you have time to play Wii?

Same time I have to play my XBOX-360... :D
I don't... it is mostly for him. :D

But I do find the time... sometimes.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Snoofie

Snoofie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:52 PM

I got mine at launch from Amazon.com and I initially really loved it, but have gotten a tired bit tired of it as of late. I haven't turned it on in weeks. My favorite game is still Wii Sports because nothing else has kept my attention. I've been considering selling it and picking up one of the other systems so I can play the sports games that I have been missing. I enjoy those more than what has been out on Wii. I wish they would do more games like Wii Sports. I think next year will be a big year for Wii once everybody is used to the controls, but I don't know if I can wait that long.

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

Actually according to IGN... there are a series of new ones comming out in the spirit of Wii Sports.

Namely Mario & Sonic Olympics.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

I've completed the Zelda game for the Wii! We have half a dozen games and stuff. It's great. You should think about the rechargable battery pack and dock (the one that handles two remotes). We have two for our 4 remotes, it's awsome!

As for the lan adapter, somewhere on the web, you can find the specific chipset the LAN adapter uses. We used an off brand adapter which has the same chipset as the nintendo one - I picked it up for $15 (this is back when the adapter was not avaialble in the US).

Having this and the xbox 360, we love the wii a bit better.

But here's the question I want an answer to. When are they going to make a new version of Carmagendon?
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#11 OFFLINE   Snoofie

Snoofie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:58 AM

Having this and the xbox 360, we love the wii a bit better.

I'm just the opposite. I loved the Wii at first and played it constantly, but I could never find enough games to hold my attention after the first few months. I sold it on ebay and used the money to get an XBOX 360 and haven't looked back. I love the old classic Nintendo games and the recent Mario games have always been fun, but I bought 10 games and found myself not playing any of them for too long. My nephew bought a Wii and he has felt the same way so he is selling his too. I still like the system, but I was only playing it when we had friends over. I'm sure I will buy it again someday once the price drops down and there are more games on it.

#12 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

I haven't followed the wii hype in lately, and am shocked to find it is still selling out??

Nintendo has announced that they are going to have limited quantities through Christmas this year. Seems they can't get enough PCBs and CPUs to run the darn things and demand remains high.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

#13 OFFLINE   DaveTheWave

DaveTheWave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

Congrats,

I want to use the supply of best buy gift cards to get a wii. Took awhile, but I dropped by on a Wednesday, thats when the guy said they get shipments, and what did I find... You guessed it. Picked up the component cables and played a littlle bassball that night.

Fun...

#14 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

Fastest selling game console: Nintendo Wii. Since introduction, the Wii has sold more units than Xbox 360 lifetime sales.
http://www.pcworld.c...ml?tk=nl_dnxnws

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#15 OFFLINE   Bmfr79

Bmfr79

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:15 AM

It's nice to know that we have some gamers on this site. I own the Wii, PS3 and the Xbox 360!

#16 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

http://www.dealersco...var=story#73205
Wii Continues To Lead in Console War
More......

http://www.sfgate.co...&entry_id=19704
PlayStation 3 still trails in console race
More.....
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#17 OFFLINE   countysky

countysky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

I remember when everyone was talking about who was going to win the "Console Wars" and everyone totally disregarded Nintendo. It was either PS3 or X-Box 360 - people pretty much figured Nintendo was doomed. I've said it once and I'll say it again - Nintendo always rises to the occasion because they are in the video game business to create new and innovative ways of playing games. When they released details about the Wii (then called the Revolution) and talked about the wireless remote/nunchuck controls, I knew immediately Nintendo had, once again, reinvented playing video games just like they always have throughout the years. Just look:

-The original Nintendo was the first game system to introduce the directional pad.

-Super Nintendo was the first console to introduce the shoulder pad/four button control scheme.

-Nintendo 64 introduced the analog stick to the gaming world as well as the rumble pack feature.

-Nintendo DS introduced touch screen mechanics to gaming as well as using a microphone for voice commands.

The only real stumble Nintendo ever made was the Gamecube - they were a little late in the game to compete with heavies like Sony and Microsoft. Plus, not having online capabilities crippled their sales as well. There are fantastic games for the Gamecube that continued the Nintendo trend of revolutionizing gameplay such as Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 (which debuted exclusively for Gamecube), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Oh, and lest I forget, Nintendo forged the recent trend of downloadable classic games with it's Wii virtual console - X-Box 360 and PS3 soon followed suit, but still can't quite compete considering Nintendo's advantage of having tons of exclusive first party games that people love to play. Oh, plus Nintendo did the wise thing in making the Wii intuitive for people of all ages to play, rather than catering to the hardcore gamer - something that has always kept Nintendo on the map since the original NES. Sorry to go on a such a rant, but I kept telling people not to disregard Nintendo as a major contender, and sure enough, I was right! The Wii rules!

-Jared

#18 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:02 AM

One thing about the Wii .. It's the first video game that I've really played since I had an Atari .. eons ago. Nintendo did something right.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

#19 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:09 AM

I bought mine on launch day. I had to stay outside a walmart for 7 hrs in the cold,it was like 30 degrees. It was all worth it!!

#20 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:21 AM

Jared -- I've never been much of a gamer, but that was a great post! :up:

Thanks for the Nintendo history lesson.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club