Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D* or E*, who will have most national HD on 12/31/07, read text before voting please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Which DBS provider will have the most national HD channels by 12/31/07? (90 member(s) have cast votes)

Which DBS provider will have the most national HD channels by 12/31/07?

1. DirecTV (64 votes [71.11%])

Percentage of vote: 71.11%

2. Dish Network (20 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Both will have exactly the same number and the battle continues (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

There's been much debate on one side and the other on this subject, with lots of verbage being written. How about just a nice short and sweet poll, no need to post anything why you voted that way since it's probably been said over and over and over before.

For this poll let's use the following defintion for national HD channel:

- The channel has to be available 24x7x365, no part time channel like D*'s channel 95 or E*'s part time regional sports network channels. Also exclude sports subscription channels such as NLF, NBA, MLB, NHL.

- Doesn't matter if the channel is doing upconvert 24x7 at the channel provider, if D* or E* is sending out a HD channel (>480p) then it counts. Example, Weather Channel says they'll light up a HD channel this year but upconvert most of it, this would count as a HD channel since D* and E* would be receiving a >480p signal from them.

- Let's not count the NYC and LA network HD channels that D* has since the vast majority of people can't get those channels.

That's it, let's see how good a bunch of guesses we have here.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:27 AM

I will take DirecTV

#3 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

Looks like there are some koolaid drinkers on the DirecTV side of things, they must associated promises and commercials with reality. My guess is that since Dish has lead virtually from day one, they won't stop.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

Looks like there are some koolaid drinkers on the DirecTV side of things, they must associated promises and commercials with reality. My guess is that since Dish has lead virtually from day one, they won't stop.

I think it's a little bit of 'site bias' in play in the numbers. Here it's D* 62.79%, E* 27.91% and = 9.30. I put the same exact poll up at the other guys, just to try to get all opinions, and their numbers are D* 30.86%, E* 58.02% and = 11.11%. So if Kool Aid is involved both sites have their own flavors of it.

#5 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

I think it's a little bit of 'site bias' in play in the numbers. Here it's D* 62.79%, E* 27.91% and = 9.30. I put the same exact poll up at the other guys, just to try to get all opinions, and their numbers are D* 30.86%, E* 58.02% and = 11.11%. So if Kool Aid is involved both sites have their own flavors of it.

Well the koolaid was in reference to on what basis do DirecTV folks believe that their provider of choice will actually deliver on what it has promised. They don't currently lead the race, don't have VOOM etc...Meanwhile Dish leads and has lead, and has a good number of additional HD channels coming online this month, so they are drinking koolaid, just relying on facts and past history.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

But the question wasn't... what is there today...
But what do your expect to be there on 12/31/2007

The facts are, many channels have announced cariage agreements...
The past history, is a indicator of the future events, but doesn't necessarily dictate future events
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:14 PM

This poll is tilted toward E* (since DirecTV will have a huuuuuge lead on sports that are part time channels for the most part).

Won't participate. Those part time channels are important to me and a lot of others.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

Someone must have reset the poll as the balance has reversed. When I initially checked the score yesterday, there was a substantial lead on the E* side and this afternoon, E* seems to have lost many votes to D*.

What gives?

Sure you weren't looking at the other site which has the numbers that you're saying;)

I know I didn't do anything to the numbers so if anyone did it had to be the mods. But whenever I've looked D*'s had the lead here and E*'s had the lead at the other guys.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:36 PM

One would assume that DirecTV customers would be voting that way while Dish customers would be voting the other way, for the most part... because it is all speculation until we get there.

Personally, even though I voted Dish, I'll be surprised if the two companies aren't relatively equal. I can't see one company jumping out to a big lead beyond a handful of channels for any extended period of time.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:36 PM

This poll is tilted toward E* (since DirecTV will have a huuuuuge lead on sports that are part time channels for the most part).

Won't participate. Those part time channels are important to me and a lot of others.

I decided to exclude the sports subscription and RSN's because they aren't 24x7x365 and usually when there is something in HD on a RSN the channel is blacked out unless you subscribe to the sports subscription package for that particular sporting event.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

Sure you weren't looking at the other site which has the numbers that you're saying;)

I don't recall seeing the poll over there, but that would certainly explain it.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

I can't see one company jumping out to a big lead beyond a handful of channels for any extended period of time.

I'm sure that DIRECTV would like nothing better than to do to Dish Network what they've been doing to them for the last two years. Depending on how they spend their bandwidth, there is the potential for 50% more D* full-time national HD channels at year-end.

#13 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

I'm sure that DIRECTV would like nothing better than to do to Dish Network what they've been doing to them for the last two years. Depending on how they spend their bandwidth, there is the potential for 50% more D* full-time national HD channels at year-end.

Mmm that koolaid must be good, to be drinking so much of it. Everytime a D* commerical or fanboy talks about it you get terms like "potential" and "soon" and "capacity" etc...

Meanwhile at Dish we enjoy all our ACTUAL HD channels.

#14 OFFLINE   richiephx

richiephx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

As I said previously, I can't wait for 45 national HD channels and 55 PPV HD channels by year end :)

#15 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

Funny, I saw this same poll over at Satguys and the majority there has voted for E*!!!
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#16 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:40 AM

Funny, I saw this same poll over at Satguys and the majority there has voted for E*!!!

Tells you something about both sites. :)

#17 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Mmm that koolaid must be good, to be drinking so much of it. Everytime a D* commerical or fanboy talks about it you get terms like "potential" and "soon" and "capacity" etc...

Meanwhile at Dish we enjoy all our ACTUAL HD channels.

But again...

Isn't this thread about what it will be on 12/31/2007 ?
Not today... not tomorrow.... not last week, but at the end of the year.

And as for commercial/fanboy talks...
Life is hoot when you understand WHY the HD channels are not there....

And that Dish would be in the EXACT same boat as DirecTV, if they didn't purchase an existing SAT in the sky... . so kudos to Dish for being able to pull that off.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

And that Dish would be in the EXACT same boat as DirecTV, if they didn't purchase an existing SAT in the sky... . so kudos to Dish for being able to pull that off.

Well, not exactly. All things being equal, without Rainbow-1, most of the CONUS would still have what they have now from Dish.

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:25 AM

Well, not exactly. All things being equal, without Rainbow-1, most of the CONUS would still have what they have now from Dish.

I guess we could also through in all the leased space and satellites that E*'s decided to go with, such as AMC15, ANIK F3 in the discussion. E* doesn't have any problems getting space wherever they need it and D* appears to want to own their satellites. No problem with E* doing that, but if they hadn't dipped into the open market they'd also be in a pinch for bandwidth.

Also, don't know if D* would do what E* did with E5 at 129 where parts of the US have problems being to receive a good signal for HD programming since it has problems with CONUS coverage.

#20 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

... but if they hadn't dipped into the open market they'd also be in a pinch for bandwidth.

Agreed, but only in New England, Florida, and deep in the heart of Texas. :) The rest of us would be just fine.

spam firewall