Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Torchwood on HDNet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

While watching HDNet tonight I saw several commercials for Torchwood (the Doctor Who spinoff) that said coming to HDNet this fall.

I knew BBC America was going to air Torchwood season 1 starting around September I think... but this was the first I'd heard of HDNet. Cool beans!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:09 PM

I would much rather watch this in HD than SD, so great news!

#3 OFFLINE   2Guysfootball

2Guysfootball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:49 AM

I am very excited about this. Now we need Dr. Who in HD :)

#4 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

I am very excited about this. Now we need Dr. Who in HD :)

Hopefully SciFi channel will go HD soon (although I haven't heard any news of that happening) and we'll Dr Who and others in HD.
Allen

#5 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

That is great news. Always take HD over SD. I have been wanting to see Torchwood so this is great.
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

Doctor Who was not "filmed" in HD, so it would be an upconvert. Torchwood was HD all the way.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

Interesting tidbit about Doctor Who is that even though it is not shot in HD, it is still higher resolution than US SD widescreen... so a good HD transfer might still look nicer than what we get on DVD. Torchwood, however, should be awesome since it is in HD from the word go!

#8 OFFLINE   2Guysfootball

2Guysfootball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

Interesting tidbit about Doctor Who is that even though it is not shot in HD, it is still higher resolution than US SD widescreen... so a good HD transfer might still look nicer than what we get on DVD. Torchwood, however, should be awesome since it is in HD from the word go!

Nice :) SD across the Pond is what 520??

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

Nice :) SD across the Pond is what 520??

Somebody will probably jump in and correct me if I misstep here... but what I've read is that Doctor Who is shot using Digibeta, which is a digital-to-tape format instead of film. Also, being in the UK and in PAL their resolution is 720x576 for widescreen.

So... pretty much the same horizontal resolution as SD, but 86 more vertical lines of resolution.

While they passed on HD for Doctor Who for various reasons apparently... there is still a little more resolution in there to play with and they seem to think that if/when the time comes they could manipulate the original source a bit perhaps to get something closer to 720p resolution out of what they have. Obviously it would still be an upconvert, but a smarter than your typical upconvert.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...