Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Record on 622 with OTA Antenna

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JKFuller

JKFuller

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

Hello All,
First, this site is indeed a wealth of information. Many thanks to all. I am in the process of switching from DirecTV to DISH and my install is scheduled for this weekend. I have a couple of questions regarding the OTA:
1. Does the OTA integrated tuner on the 622 allow for recording? The Advanced Tech Support at DISH said no. I thought I read on this forum that you can record the OTA on the 622 though.
2. I am hoping to pick up some local PBS channels. Will the OTA antenna help? Can I ask the installer to allow me to test the OTA antenna before I purchase it?
3. Is the signal/video quality better for the local HD channels on the OTA antenna vs the satellite feed?

Much thanks for your help,
Regards,
Joseph

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:03 AM

1. Yes you can definitely record OTA material. I use this feature a lot, when the networks have several things on at the same time, I can watch one, record one via satellite feed, and record another OTA.

2. I pick up local PBs broadcasts with my antenna easily. not sure if you can "try before you buy", I'd doubt it.

3.OTA HD signals seem to be better for me than the sat feed, but YMMV.

#3 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

1. Yes. I've recorded my local digital signals on my 622.

2. Asking about "the OTA antenna" is like asking how big the picture is on "the TV." Go to Antenna Web (http://www.antennaweb.org) and see what sort of OTA antenna you need for digital reception of your local PBS station, based on where you live. If your HDTV has a HD tuner, you can test whatever OTA antenna you get before the installer gets there.

3. Looks about the same to me. Others may chime in with agreement or disagreement. :)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#4 OFFLINE   slaydragon

slaydragon

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

1. Yes you can definitely record OTA material. I use this feature a lot, when the networks have several things on at the same time, I can watch one, record one via satellite feed, and record another OTA.

2. I pick up local PBs broadcasts with my antenna easily. not sure if you can "try before you buy", I'd doubt it.

3.OTA HD signals seem to be better for me than the sat feed, but YMMV.

This isn't exactly related to the thread, but I noticed that you said that you can record two programs and watch another. I just got my OTA antenna yesterday. I have the 622 and if I am recording two programs, I only have the option of watching one of the two channels, or watching something that was previously recorded. How do I go about doing what you mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

Once you connect the antenna, you can record 3 things at once while both TV1 and TV2 watch something recorded. Or record 2 things and watch the 3rd tuner though this is a bit limited in Dual Mode. The recording schedule and guide misleadingly label both Sat1 and OTA as TV1, which is the name of an output. So even though it shows "1" is busy recording (can't switch to another channel of the same OTA or Sat type), the other "1" is available for viewing.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   ShadowFree

ShadowFree

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:16 PM

Do you have to subscribe to Dish local to use OTA recordings ? The only OTA I need is PBS.

Steve

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:47 AM

No Steve, but if you don't your OTA locals will not contain and guide information and you will have to create manual timers for the shows you want to watch. Personally I think it is worth it specially if you also get Dish HD locals, but it is a personal choice.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   diospyros

diospyros

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:15 AM

Hello All,
First, this site is indeed a wealth of information. Many thanks to all. I am in the process of switching from DirecTV to DISH and my install is scheduled for this weekend. I have a couple of questions regarding the OTA:
1. Does the OTA integrated tuner on the 622 allow for recording? The Advanced Tech Support at DISH said no. I thought I read on this forum that you can record the OTA on the 622 though.
2. I am hoping to pick up some local PBS channels. Will the OTA antenna help? Can I ask the installer to allow me to test the OTA antenna before I purchase it?
3. Is the signal/video quality better for the local HD channels on the OTA antenna vs the satellite feed?

Much thanks for your help,
Regards,
Joseph

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious...

Just remember, _if you use an OTA antenna rotator,_ that the antenna will have to be pointed in the correct direction at the time the OTA recording takes place. So if you want to record two shows from opposite directions during one absence, you will need to choose which one to point the antenna at and which one is to be sacrificed. There may be products which can automatically rotate the antenna at a specific time, but I don't know what they may be: wishful thinking, I bet.

#9 OFFLINE   mw1597

mw1597

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:31 PM

My understanding is OTA recordings (MPEG2) will take up more disk space than DISH Local (MPEG4) recordings.
In my area the OTA signal strength can be a problem at times because the stations don't always transmit at full power. Also weather or seasonal changes may impact signal.
For these reasons I generally record from the Dish locals. I use OTA for a backup during rain fade. However I do record PBS HD or sub channels from OTA.

#10 OFFLINE   rlu929s

rlu929s

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:56 AM

Once you connect the antenna, you can record 3 things at once while both TV1 and TV2 watch something recorded. Or record 2 things and watch the 3rd tuner though this is a bit limited in Dual Mode. The recording schedule and guide misleadingly label both Sat1 and OTA as TV1, which is the name of an output. So even though it shows "1" is busy recording (can't switch to another channel of the same OTA or Sat type), the other "1" is available for viewing.

However with the new update it now has a different Icon for OTA so you can tell now. It a yellow circle with an antenna in it.

#11 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:41 PM

A quick check of the software history shows I missed this added feature even though I've seen the OTA icon myself :rolleyes:. Don't see it in the L443 thread, which version was it?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

spam firewall