Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does Direct Tv Now Have Local Weather From The Weather Channel?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

Considering most people have computers, why is this an issue? Why would D even care about local weather? When a storm hits your locals handle it, and when it's a major event TWC covers it, but the net always is far more up to date.

Forecast Fox for Firefox with the Enhanced add on is all you'll ever need.

I'm with you. I'm not against D* adding the technology, but it's low on my priorities of what I want from them. It's quicker and easier to just look it up on the computer. Not to mention it's a much more complete and detailed forecast. Heck for that matter, I often use my Nintendo DS browser, or phone to look it up. Why wait for the "8's"?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:57 AM

I had E* for five years and living in "Hurricane Alley" on the Georgia coast, I also
had basic cable for primarily for "Local on the 8s". Now I'm a full-boat cable-only
sub for reasons previously discussed ad nauseum in other threads. In addition
to TWC, I aso get real-time local wx updates from WeatherPlus in my digital tier.

If cable is an option for you, The Weather Channel is typically available in the
basic programming tier. Also, having cable is good in a local emergency and
as a backup in the event of rain fade or other sat-related problems. In some
areas, a minimal 'lifeline' cable subscription can be had for as little as $10-$15

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#23 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

Maybe after D10 and 11 are operational, the NBC Weather Plus subchannels could be added for each DMA. They are SD, so wouldn't take up much bandwidth.

There's no substitute for having a cheap battery-operated radio which will tune the NOAA weather frequencies.

#24 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

If cable is an option for you, The Weather Channel is typically available in the basic programming tier. Also, having cable is good in a local emergency and as a backup in the event of rain fade or other sat-related problems. In some areas, a minimal 'lifeline' cable subscription can be had for as little as $10-$15

It depends on the area. Comcast in greater Philadelphia had TWC as part of their limited basic, $10-$15/month package, and it was great. Comcast in greater Providence, RI does not. I still get it for the Boston locals and New England Cable News that D* doesn't offer in this area.

#25 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

I had E* for five years and living in "Hurricane Alley" on the Georgia coast, I also
had basic cable for primarily for "Local on the 8s". Now I'm a full-boat cable-only
sub for reasons previously discussed ad nauseum in other threads. In addition
to TWC, I aso get real-time local wx updates from WeatherPlus in my digital tier.

If cable is an option for you, The Weather Channel is typically available in the
basic programming tier. Also, having cable is good in a local emergency and
as a backup in the event of rain fade or other sat-related problems. In some
areas, a minimal 'lifeline' cable subscription can be had for as little as $10-$15

That's exactly why I have basic cable, because I have had a problem with a combination of rain faid and neighbors BIG trees in the summer, although with the drought here in middle Georgia this year, I haven't needed it.

It depends on the area. Comcast in greater Philadelphia had TWC as part of their limited basic, $10-$15/month package, and it was great. Comcast in greater Providence, RI does not. I still get it for the Boston locals and New England Cable News that D* doesn't offer in this area.

Very True; As Nick said, he can get TWC on his basic cable in Coastal Ga., here in Convington, Ga., you have to go to the next tier above basic for it.

#26 OFFLINE   GopherIce

GopherIce

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:07 PM

As the closest it would come is the Active channel...
Which I think is from Weather Channel.

Sorry, what's the active channel?

I can never be accused of having to wait for technology to catch up to me...
R16-500/R15-100/R15-100
DSX5500 X 3
R16-300

#27 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:22 PM

press the "active" button on your remote

#28 OFFLINE   GopherIce

GopherIce

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:27 AM

Is that something I may possibly be able to get when my DVR installation comes on Monday? Right now I don't think the receivers I have come with that option.

R16-500/R15-100/R15-100
DSX5500 X 3
R16-300

#29 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:52 AM

Is that something I may possibly be able to get when my DVR installation comes on Monday? Right now I don't think the receivers I have come with that option.

Yes
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#30 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

TWC installs a STAR (satellite transponder addressable receiver) at each cable company head-end. Some small town cable operators are too cheap to install a STAR. Guess what? Those customers see what we do on D*

The STAR is fed data from TWC. So, in effect, TWC does provide the local forecast you see on cable. But, it takes the raw digital data and then renders the graphics and generates video locally.

The video source is switched from the national feed (what you see on D* during local on the 8's) to the local head-end STAR and back again, commanded by signals encoded in the national broadcast.

I don't think there is enough, or will be enough any time soon, bandwidth to deliver an exact duplicate "weather on the 8s" service to every zip code like TWC provides via cable companies, via D* satellites.

FWIW...the weather graphics on the Active channel look like AccuWeather products, not TWC.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#31 OFFLINE   GopherIce

GopherIce

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

So what channel can you find this active weather?

R16-500/R15-100/R15-100
DSX5500 X 3
R16-300

#32 OFFLINE   philslc

philslc

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

So what channel can you find this active weather?

Press the Active button on your remote.
HR20-100

#33 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

Can you post a link?

As the closest it would come is the Active channel...
Which I think is from Weather Channel.

Earl, I believe the Active channel's weather info is courtesy of Accuweather.com. The maps look exactly like those that Accuweather posts.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...