Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite Internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

I had hughes net and it was the worst thing ever! The only thing worse though is dial up and sometimes dial up was better. I strongly encourage you to look for nearby WISP towers. If there are no WISP towers within reach get wild blue its much better. Hughes net allows 200mb/24hrs. Wild blue allows like 10gigs a month which is alot better. Just remember this hughesnet = Devil.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Bijou Media

Bijou Media

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

Right now WB is the better system.

Also worth review is spacenet the Nova system is great. Below the starband link is the local dealers in Ohio. You will pay more, but get better service.
The thing with hughes is they load up the transponders too much. Their ratios are very high 100 to 1 for instance (100 customers per transponder) where as Starband may be 50 to 1. There is a lot less of a log jam. Those are not exact numbers I am using them as an example. I'm not sure what the real numbers are most of the lower end systems don't tell you.

http://www.starband.com/

http://www.starband....y/resultzip.asp

#23 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

2 options that haven't been mentioned.
1) Verizon doesn't reach there, but how about Sprint wireless broadband?

2) Get to know the neighbors 2 doors down with Time Warner access. Put in a wireless N router. Share with your family. Not sure how big the lots are and, therefore, whether it will reach or not.

#24 OFFLINE   countysky

countysky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

MY brother and sister-in-law are building a house in the middle of nowhere (or close too it) and will be moving in about 4-5 months from now. There is no cable or DSL internet available so they have to go with satellite. They already have Dish Network at their current house so they are going to use the dish mover program and have it installed at their new house. They need to find an internet provider. I know there are two, Wildblue and Hughes Net. They need help on deciding which is the best. I don't know much about either provider. My brother and his wife do download music from itunes and upload pictures on Kodak easy share and stuff like that. Looking at their websites, i can tell you they will need at least the 1Mbps package from either provider, maybe even the 1.5Mb. It one point, I thought I heard that hughes net had a restriction on the amount of bandwidth you can use per month. Help!

I use SkyWay for my internet service and it works pretty well for me. It's only about 30 bucks a month. So yeah, check them out. I can't post urls yet (the whole 5 posts rule), but just use the link in my signature.

-Jared

spam firewall