Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Caller ID issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dthoman

dthoman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

I know this has been discussed at length, but I am having problems with Caller ID. It started yesterday. I am on the latest national release. I have never had problems until yesterday.

What I notice is that when you hit menu, the option of Caller ID & Messages is sometimes there and sometimes not. I will notice that Notices will be change to off. I never changed my settings. If I change back to Notices On it does take. It will change the option but doesn't make it work.

I have tried RBR but it didn't help. Last night all of sudden it started working again. It seems like it may be happening to me at the same time as it did last night.

I haven't read much about whether or not anyone else is still having this issue. It seems odd that all of sudden I am having problems after never ever having the problem before.

Any comments?

I think I am going to upgrade to the lastest CE tonight, maybe it will help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:55 AM

Sorry, I don't know...that's weird. I used to have problems with it all the time until maybe 2 CE's ago and then really haven't seen anything (as I jinx myself). However, an RBR always fixed the problem.

If that didn't work for you, I don't know. I guess hope the next 1 corrects the problem. The question you have to ask yourself is if it's worth trading in for a new unit just for a "sometimes broken" CID.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#3 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:48 AM

how exactly is the caller ID supposed to work? When I go into the menu, I can see the Caller ID messages, but no message pops up on the TV when someone calls - should it?

#4 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

Well, the fact that you're saying that the Caller ID option is sometimes missing from the menu says to me that there's something really wrong there.

But on you other question, the way it's supposed to work is like this: if you have the setting set to ON, it should display a caller's name and # when they call whether you're watching live TV or a recording...and then it disappears after maybe 10 seconds.

Are you saying, though, that it shows the call in your history, but never showed up on the screen? That's again quite odd if it's set to ON.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#5 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

how exactly is the caller ID supposed to work? When I go into the menu, I can see the Caller ID messages, but no message pops up on the TV when someone calls - should it?

Most telcos send the CallerID between the 1st and 2nd rings. It you pick up before the 2nd ring you will not get a Caller ID message.

You also have the Caller ID Notification turned on to see the pop-ups
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,503 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

See the new "Simple Caller ID Poll" here and cast your votes ....
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=93858
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

Thats where I casted my vote. CID has NEVER worked.

#8 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

i put this message in the poll thread as well, but i'm having problems as well. I thought it was b/c i had a line going from the junction box, but apparently that has worked for others. It worked the first 3-4 days I had the box, but has not worked for the past week or so. Nothing has changed in the setup, but who knows. I have not tried to reset the box at all as some have suggested.

#9 OFFLINE   dthoman

dthoman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

Seems like CID issue is back. Too many people having problems again. And it seems that it all started at the same time 7/31 or so.

I am on 184 (lastest CE) I responded to the latest CID poll.

And I repeat, I never had this problem before exept the last couple of days

Update: I just unplugged and replugged the phone line from the back of the machine and it now works. I did try to unplugged from the wall but that did not work. I never tested the phone line the next time that CID doesn't work I will test the phone line

#10 OFFLINE   larcar

larcar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:46 AM

Mine was working fine until the latest release which killed it! No tricks talked about here will bring it back to life? :mad:

spam firewall