Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

More Caller ID issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tpayne105

tpayne105

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

I had the HR20 installed on July 24th and had the Caller ID working great. Then on August 1st, it stopped working. I have not changed anything wi th the setup....I have checked my settings and all are as they should be...

I have the upgrade.... 0x17e version.....

Things seemed to work fine and now I do not get notifications....(yes they are turned on).....

Any thoughts? I know others have had issues as well.....the rest of the features are working well...

Thanks

PS..I also noticed when I do the system test, my phone does not "pass"....again, it had been working fine....and the phone line works great! Help!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:34 PM

weird. I have almost the exact same scenario. I got it installed on the 27th and the last call I have logged is 7/30. I just ran the system test and it states the phone failed as well. When I plug a phone into the line that is connected into the back of the receiver, everything works fine.

#3 OFFLINE   tpayne105

tpayne105

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

Yep that is the same thing with me.....exactly....hmmmmmm

#4 OFFLINE   Shad

Shad

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

This has happened to me a few times. I can usually get Caller ID back by unplugging the phone line from the back of the HR 20 and then plugging it back in. You might give that a try. I have also gotten it back by doing a reset of the unit.

#5 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

This has happened to me a few times. I can usually get Caller ID back by unplugging the phone line from the back of the HR 20 and then plugging it back in. You might give that a try. I have also gotten it back by doing a reset of the unit.

Ditto on Shad's comments.
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#6 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

plugging/unplugging the phone line didn't help... but the menu reset did work and it appears that the caller ID is now working. Out of curiosity, the notification won't show up on a recording will it?

#7 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

plugging/unplugging the phone line didn't help... but the menu reset did work and it appears that the caller ID is now working. Out of curiosity, the notification won't show up on a recording will it?

No, the notification box will not be recorded. Nor will status bars, menus, etc... If the question was "Will the notification show up when I am watching a recording?" Then the answer is, of course, yes.

#8 OFFLINE   aim2pls

aim2pls

Icon

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:02 AM

as suggested in another thread (can't remember the member that said it) .. it could be a ground potential problem ..... external ground rod is not electrically connected to the house ground and there maybe a voltage difference causing your caller id problem ....

a quick test is to disconnect the ground rod (in good weather of course) .. test the caller id function ..... if this solves the problem .. connect the ground rod again and get it connected to the building ground

#9 OFFLINE   mopzo

mopzo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:31 AM

as suggested in another thread (can't remember the member that said it) .. it could be a ground potential problem ..... external ground rod is not electrically connected to the house ground and there maybe a voltage difference causing your caller id problem ....

a quick test is to disconnect the ground rod (in good weather of course) .. test the caller id function ..... if this solves the problem .. connect the ground rod again and get it connected to the building ground

Does CID work on your regular phones? If so, it's not a ground problem. Plug a regular phone into the jack that the HR20 uses. If CID works on that phone then it's a HR20 problem.

I have the same issues. Run the system test. I expect your phone test to fail. I can restore operation and pass the phone test by doing a system reset. Then CID will work.
Hitachi 51SWX20B w/HR20-100. LG 37LG50 w/HR22-100 and AM-21. Verizon FiOS w/Actiontec Router, Linksys PowerLine AV Network, Playstation 3, Wii, Dell XPS M1340, XM/Sirrus Satellite Radio, iPhone

#10 OFFLINE   mopzo

mopzo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:41 AM

Here is a more detailed summary of my problem.

Since the latest update I'm having problems with the Caller ID feature.

Noticed over the weekend that the CID wasn't displaying incoming calls. Verified connections, all ok. Ran the System Test. The phone test failed. Performed a system reset, re-ran the test. This time the phone test passed. CID started working.

Last night, incoming call and no display. Re-ran system test and again phone test failed. Performed system reset, phone test passed.

Some background information: I currently use Cox Communications as my phone service provider. They use two different ring sequences depending on whether the incoming call is local or long distance. Local call is the normal ring. An incoming long distance call is a "double ring" meaning two quick rings followed by a pause then two quick rings.

With the previous release, all incoming long distance calls would never display on the HR20. All local calls displayed properly.

Now it appears with this new release, as soon as I receive a long distance call it disables the HR20's phone capabilities. A system reset is required to fix the problem.

As a test I connected a regular phone the HR20's phone line. The phone displays all incoming calls whether local or long distance.

I'm going to call Cox and see if this feature can be disabled. If a regular phone is able to support this feature, the HR20 should work the same way.

If there is another thread for posting bugs please let me know and I'll get this message there.
Hitachi 51SWX20B w/HR20-100. LG 37LG50 w/HR22-100 and AM-21. Verizon FiOS w/Actiontec Router, Linksys PowerLine AV Network, Playstation 3, Wii, Dell XPS M1340, XM/Sirrus Satellite Radio, iPhone

#11 OFFLINE   larcar

larcar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

My caller ID worked fine until the latest update killed it. Hasn't worked since and not any of the tricks talked about here will make it work again! :mad:

spam firewall