Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SportsTime Ohio HD and channels 94/95?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MAXX

MAXX

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

New here, and I'm still navigating the site trying to gather some info on why I don't have more HD stations on Directv. Anyway, one night I was watching the Cleveland Indians game on Sportstime Ohio. I happened to flip over to channels 94 and 95 and there was Sportstime Ohio in HD! Why don't I have the HD version all the time? And on a separate note, why is that I can view HD baseball games on channels 94/95 on some nights but not other nights? Does it have to do with blackouts? Thanks for your input!

MAXX

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jeffwltrs

jeffwltrs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

The Indians are on 96 STO-HD for home games only. When they are on 3-NBC they are in HD. The games in HD on 94/95 are from MLB Extra Innings. The Cavs are on 96 also for HD. But, in September D* is adding all kinds of additional HD. This may change where you can find Cleveland sports in HD.

Welcome to DBSTalk!:D
O-H-I-O

AT9 > WB68
HR20-700 > POWERLINE NETWORKED > HDMI > 72 TOSHIBA DLP FAMILY ROOM
HR22-100 > 42" SHARP AQUIOS LCD FAMILY ROOM
HR20-100S > HDMI > 56 SAMSUNG DLP MASTER BEDROOM
H21-100 > COMP > 56 TOSHIBA HD CRT LIVING ROOM
R15 > 25 RCA SD BEDROOM (ONLY 1 LINE)

#3 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

As to the first question, Sportime Ohio doesn't have HD around the clock, so Directv puts in on one of the channels in the 90s when a baseball game is on. Also, only homegames are in HD on Sportstime. If the game is carred on ESPN or channel 3, you can find it in HD there.

#4 OFFLINE   MAXX

MAXX

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thanks guys! Channel 96 huh? I've never checked there--it has never come up before, but I'll keep an eye on it next time there is a home game!

I'm not in Cleveland, so I don't have channel 3. And when ESPN carries the game, it is always blacked out for me.

#5 OFFLINE   MAXX

MAXX

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:48 PM

I just went to edit my channel list because I thought maybe I had it blocked, but channel 96 does not exist on the list or the guide! Why is that? I can go to channel 96, and it says "regular schedule."

#6 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:24 PM

Where in Ohio are you?
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#7 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, i'd loke to konw as well. In Columbus, last I checked, we didn't get STO in HD. If we did, that's a huge plus for me!
:pinkie:

#8 OFFLINE   MAXX

MAXX

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

I'm in southeast Ohio, near Cambridge. I get the Columbus locals. Like I said, the only time I've seen STO in HD was when I flipped to 94 by accident. So I know it exists. I'm not sure what's up with 96--hopefully Jeff will come back and tell us more about that mystery channel.

I'm still curious as to why I can see games on 94/95 once in a while if it's a bonus pack? Are they just trying to promote it?

I sure hope this channel 96 pans out, because 657 STO is a blurry mess!

#9 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

STO in HD is NOT available in SE Ohio. It's only available in the Cleveland area on Channel 96 when the Indians play. Channels 94/95 are MLB Extra Innings Superfan channels. They have nothing to do with STOHD. However once the new Sat lights up in September there is a chance they may extend the coverage area for STO's HD feed. Right now its on a spot beam and only available to those with Cleveland locals.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#10 OFFLINE   MAXX

MAXX

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

Thanks DC. Just wish they had spot beamed it to the entire state :)

#11 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:28 AM

However once the new Sat lights up in September there is a chance they may extend the coverage area for STO's HD feed.

Not a chance, it's definite. The HD RSNs will be CONUS, and therefore they will be available to everyone who gets the SD RSN. The only reason it's limited right now is because of the spot beams, like you said.

#12 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:18 AM

I'm in southeast Ohio, near Cambridge. I get the Columbus locals. Like I said, the only time I've seen STO in HD was when I flipped to 94 by accident. So I know it exists. I'm not sure what's up with 96--hopefully Jeff will come back and tell us more about that mystery channel.

I'm still curious as to why I can see games on 94/95 once in a while if it's a bonus pack? Are they just trying to promote it?

I sure hope this channel 96 pans out, because 657 STO is a blurry mess!

Do you have MLB EI?

#13 OFFLINE   MAXX

MAXX

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

Do you have MLB EI?

No I don't. But like I said, a couple nights a week or on Saturdays, I'll flip to 94 or 95 and there will be HD games on. Just happened to see STO on there one night and it looked great!

#14 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:10 AM

Very interesting. I'll keep an eye on it. Except, today, they are on 53, not STO.

#15 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:13 AM

Not a chance, it's definite. The HD RSNs will be CONUS, and therefore they will be available to everyone who gets the SD RSN. The only reason it's limited right now is because of the spot beams, like you said.

Thats what I meant. My post was the product of trying to help while watching the fights on TV. :D
Dan Sholtis

#16 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

I expect that a need a "newer" HD receiver to get STO-HD on 94/95? I can see 94 and 95 on my HR10-250 but I assume that STO is MPEG4 and I cannot get it. Right?
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#17 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

I expect that a need a "newer" HD receiver to get STO-HD on 94/95? I can see 94 and 95 on my HR10-250 but I assume that STO is MPEG4 and I cannot get it. Right?

If you want to see the home games on Channel 96 yes you need either a H20 (Non DVR) or HR20 (DVR) which are MPEG4 compatible. Since you are in the Cleveland area you would get to see them on 96 with one of those new receivers and a new 5LNB dish. They are not on 94/95 that often. Those games are part of MLB Superfan. Superfan this year is MPEG2.
Dan Sholtis

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:21 PM

Wouldnt really be a spot beam anymore would it?

#19 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

Wouldnt really be a spot beam anymore would it?

What?

#20 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:49 PM

MAXX said he wished they spot beamed it to the whole state, in the post I replied to...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...