Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

For those of you in the West Palm Beach area...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:23 PM

Starting with tonight's news at 11pm WPTV [Channel 5] is broadcasting their news in 1080i HD.

This means we should have 5.1 Audio for network broadcasts as well now.

I would have put this elsewhere if we had an area to announce stuff like this. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

Shout out to WPB!

I lived in Boynton Beach (across from the Motorola campus) way back when.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:29 PM

Is that OTA only, or Sat feed also?

#4 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

Just checked it out and the picture is pretty fantastic. When you compare an OTA HD picture to some of the stuff coming from DirecTV you really do see the difference. Hopefully, the new satellite will change some of those issues.

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:52 PM

Is that OTA only, or Sat feed also?

Both Sat and OTA.

Looks awesome.

And they are now going to "bumper" SD stuff as well, commercials, etc.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:54 PM

Shout out to WPB!

I lived in Boynton Beach (across from the Motorola campus) way back when.

You wouldn't recognize the place anymore. Motorola was demolished a few years ago. It's now a bunch of high priced condos and a shopping center. The farmland just to the south of it is gone too and it's now a Super Target and Best Buy shopping center. The Target just opened last weekend and the Best Buy is only about a month old.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:21 PM

Holy macarena! I left a month after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. It sounds like you know the area pretty well... What ever happened to the old "Boynton Beach Mall"? Hardly a mall at all even its day.

Someone told me the Banana Boat got washed away in the latest hurricane. Can you confirm that? Some of the best nights I'll never remember were spent in that place.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:04 AM

Holy macarena! I left a month after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. It sounds like you know the area pretty well... What ever happened to the old "Boynton Beach Mall"? Hardly a mall at all even its day.

Someone told me the Banana Boat got washed away in the latest hurricane. Can you confirm that? Some of the best nights I'll never remember were spent in that place.

I was born and raised here, I've only lived outside this area for 3 years. I know it pretty well. :)

The Boynton Beach Mall is in the middle of getting a facelift. A brand new Muvico just opened up there in what was the parking lot, 18 or 20 theaters I think, Too Jays, etc.

The Banana Boat is still there, was just there myself not but maybe 2 months ago. IIRC it was damaged but it's been repaired. You're talking about the one on Ocean Ave right?

The person you got the info from may be thinking of the Banana Boat restaurant that was on Okeechobee and Military trail at one time, that place is long gone.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:16 AM

I was just scanning my OTA and noticed Channel 5 in HD this morning. The picture is absolutely incredible.

Their new graphics really takes advantage of HD. I just hope the rest of the Miami and WPB stations take a look. I'm almost ready to switch to watching them for local news so I don't have to look at SD pictures or stretch-o-vision, like most of the other stations in both markets are doing!
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:19 AM

The Boynton Beach Mall made the national news last year when on Christmas Eve there was a shootout in the mall.

Behind the Banana Boat (and Two Georges) there's a brand new high-rise condo complex.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:22 AM

I was just scanning my OTA and noticed Channel 5 in HD this morning. The picture is absolutely incredible.

Their new graphics really takes advantage of HD. I just hope the rest of the Miami and WPB stations take a look. I'm almost ready to switch to watching them for local news so I don't have to look at SD pictures or stretch-o-vision, like most of the other stations in both markets are doing!

Yeah, I agree. Their new color scheme really lends well to the HD. And they definitely aren't running in stretch, that's for sure.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

The Boynton Beach Mall made the national news last year when on Christmas Eve there was a shootout in the mall.

I don't think any shots were actually fired but they were chasing two armed men thru the mall and had to evacuate it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   d max82

d max82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

Are they doing their ENG ( in the field shooting) in HD as well or is it just in studio? Obviously most of their national feeds are in SD.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Behind the Banana Boat (and Two Georges) there's a brand new high-rise condo complex.

That figures.

One of my best friends used to be a mate on the Georges, and I used to fish myself on her when I was a boy. Good times.

Ken, if you're driving down Dixie Highway with a camera phone, could you take a shot of 2300 N. Dixie in Boca? It may or may not still say "Kimmen Center". I used to own a small business there and wonder from time to time what took my place.

#15 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

Too far away for me. :( One of these days I'll play around with an outside antenna again. My last one blew away in Hurricane Jeanne. It couldn't "reach out" far enough for WPTV though.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

spam firewall