Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:20 AM

On behalf of Doug Brott and myself, I'd like to thank everyone for their participation in the first two iterations of the HR20 WISH LIST. As you may know, DirecTV looks at this list, and has actually implemented several items from it!

Version 3 of the WISH LIST survey may be found here: TAKE THE WISH LIST SURVEY

As WISH LIST veterans will note, items in v3 have been regrouped into categories to make things a bit more manageable. I've consolidated similar requests, merged "Missing Promised Features" into their functional categories and eliminated some past items that scored low.

If one of your favorite items is no longer on the list, have no fear... we'll discuss it in this thread. If appropriate, it will find it's way back onto the list, along with any other promising new ideas.

I want to be very cautious about adding new items to the list, to prevent it from growing to overwhelming proportions. When I'm unsure an idea belongs on it, I will solicit your feedback before I decide to add it. NOTE: Before bringing a new idea over to the WISH LIST thread, it's often helpful if you run a separate poll/discussion thread on it first.

The voting options have been changed to more fairly represent suggestions that are desired by a small % of users, but the majority may not care about. An example would be "Ability to remotely control more than two HR20/21's in the same room via IR."

There are now only three voting options for each item:
  • THUMBS UP, or "I would defintely use this feature, if implemented!"
  • NEUTRAL, or "I might use this feature, but I don't mind it being there for others."
  • THUMBS DOWN, or "I hate this idea. It will change the way I use my HR20 in a negative way."

Before you vote a THUMBS DOWN, please be sure the request isn't just for an optional change! If an item gets a high enough % of THUMBS DOWN, it will be removed from the list on the basis that if it's inconvenient to a high-enough % of the user base, it shouldn't be there at all.

You will need to be a registered SizeThis.com user to complete the WISH LIST, v3 survey. Don't worry! Doug Brott, our technical guru, has reworked the registration process to make it quick and painless. If you haven't already registered at SizeThis.com, please do so here.

As in the past, I will try to update the list weekly. You may vote as often as you like, and change your votes at any time. Your old votes will be retained, so during each visit you'll only have to vote on suggestions added since your last "save". These will be identified with a blue "Value" field on the survey page.

Our goal should be to send DirecTV the clearest message possible of what HR20 changes or improvements we'd like to see. To that end, I look forward to hearing your opinions of the WISH LIST, v3, and to a collegial exchange of ideas and ongoing discussion.

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, well you just might find you get what you need." - THE ROLLING STONES

Edited by Steve, 26 August 2009 - 07:51 AM.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Steve .. Great to have you in charge now.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:49 AM

Here's one I haven't seen before, and don't see on the wish list:

I think it would be useful to be able to go back in the guide 6 or 12 hours. I've been over at someone's house, or at work, and seen part of a show I found interesting. I know which channel it's on, but don't know the name of the show (or forget by the time I get home). Or, I know I just missed a program, and want to go back and see when future showings are. Yes, I know I can search for the title if I know it, but for some programs (like "Inside Training Camp") there are multiple different versions or episodes, and I'm looking for a specific one. Being able to go back to it, select it and find future episodes would be much easier.

I'd gladly give up 6 or 12 hours at the end of the 2 week guide data to be able to go back that same amount in the past and see programs I missed. I know you can do this on cable TV guides.

I believe that the 'up to 14 day' GUIDE includes 12-days forward and 2-days backward in time. There are certainly times that I have wished to go back just one show and couldn't do it. This is a feature that would be helpful in some situations.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

Thanks Steve .. Great to have you in charge now.

And thanks again to you too! For those that may not know it, Doug not only founded the Wish List, but continues to provide the technical expertise that makes it possible.

/steve

PS: For those of you that may require his programming expertise, I can tell you his rates are VERY reasonable! :lol:
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

Steve,

As you know I've been taking the wish list survey since day one. I think that this version is the best yet! Great work from both you and Doug! I've added a link to my signature so that more people can find this excellent resource.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

Steve,

As you know I've been taking the wish list survey since day one. I think that this version is the best yet! Great work from both you and Doug! I've added a link to my signature so that more people can find this excellent resource.

Thanks, LC! I'm glad you feel we're headed in the right direction. Because Doug created such a flexible survey architecture over at SizeThis.com, we were able to make some helpful tweaks. It's still a "work in progress", so I welcome any and all suggestions for improvement. /s
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

can't get to the survey :(

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

Sorry 'bout that. There may be an old link hanging around somewhere.

Here's the new link: http://www.sizethis....urvey&survey=28

Where did you try to click from? Thx. /steve
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

Sorry 'bout that. There may be an old link hanging around somewhere.

Here's the new link: http://www.sizethis....urvey&survey=28

Where did you try to click from? Thx. /steve

post 1 line 3..
and that one does the same... flashes "you must login first, redirecting" and then drops you to the results page...

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#10 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

I don't have my login here at work, so I will check this out when I get home this evening.

thanks Steve

EDIT
Done!
I like the thumbs.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

post 1 line 3..
and that one does the same... flashes "you must login first, redirecting" and then drops you to the results page...

Ya. One of the things we've changed this time around is that a log-in is required. I'll talk to Doug and see if he can redirect folks to the registration page instead of the results page when that happens.

Registration has been reworked to be a "no-brainer", so if you're not already registered over at SizeThis, please do so here: http://www.sizethis....ms/register.php

By requiring registration, we can get more accurate results, because your most current votes will only count once, no matter how many times you take the survey or change your votes. Folks who vote often will not skew the results... in the past multiple votes were counted multiple times.

It also means you'll only have to vote on new items in the future, since your prior votes are stored under your UserID.

/steve
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

I believe that the 'up to 14 day' GUIDE includes 12-days forward and 2-days backward in time. There are certainly times that I have wished to go back just one show and couldn't do it. This is a feature that would be helpful in some situations.

Good idea, IMO. I know I've been frustrated by the inability to go "back in time" myself, having been trained that I could by the "DirecTiVo style" guide.

I think it would have to work with the RED/GREEN buttons tho, or otherwise you would be unable to use the LEFT ARROW to get the left-column general channel INFO.

Another possibility is to leave the GUIDE alone, but when you hit INFO on the channel name, be able to go back 48 hours for that channel.

Just a thought. /s
/steve

#13 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,664 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:42 PM

Great job on the new survey Steve, and Doug ... I love what you've done with the place (the survey site). :up:

#14 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

Wow. This is wonderful. Thank you.

- Craig

#15 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#16 OFFLINE   sgnhaf

sgnhaf

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

why elimanated missing promised features as a category ? and why elimanated low scoring of those ?

if they were promised and missing, we should be able to vote on them and they not be elimanated

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:49 PM

why elimanated missing promised features as a category ? and why elimanated low scoring of those ?

if they were promised and missing, we should be able to vote on them and they not be elimanated

Did you vote?

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

The MPFs still outstanding are there. They've been merged into the appropriate categories on the list. I wanted to try to keep like requests together. /steve
/steve

#19 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:35 AM

I assume we hit 'Save & Continue' and then scroll back to top and click 'View Results' to see the results?
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:12 AM

I assume we hit 'Save & Continue' and then scroll back to top and click 'View Results' to see the results?

Save & Exit will get you to the results page. Save & Continue just there in case you want to take a break. :) /s
/steve

spam firewall