Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#326 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

No complaints from me if they were to implement it, but isn't this the essence of DLB? Other than the fact that a large number of people want DLB, is there a reason for having it on the survey twice?

I'm hoping this is the "essence" of DLB, but is easy enough to implement that they can put it in quickly. I'd like to see Earl weigh in on this one... is it as easy as it sounds to me??

It's still not DLB either... for example if you change channels on the live buffer, now pressing PREV switches the buffer back and forth between these two channels. It only works if you play a show that is recording (or recorded) first, then you can flip back and forth with the live buffer using PREV... several extra steps... but I'd be happy with it for now...
Receiving Equipment: SL5-SWM LNB, SWM Multiswitch, OTA via Attic Antenna
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV
Living Room: HR24-100 | Sony 47" LCD HDTV
Computer/Network: Windows 7 | Buffalo Nfiniti | 7M/896k DSL

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#327 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,722 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:04 PM

Ya. For Dual Buffers to work as we know it from TiVo, the HR20 would need to autorecord two live buffers and remember the state of each when you left them.

This Wish List suggestion isn't too bad a work-around, though. Just press RECORD once, and then remember to PAUSE before hitting PREV, when you're leaving the LIVE BUFFER. No need to pause the RECORDING, because leaving it sets a a bookmark automatically. And if you forget to pause the LIVE BUFFER, it's all still there when you get back. You just have to REW.

It could definitely work pretty well, IMO. /steve
/steve

#328 OFFLINE   mmurray21

mmurray21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

Ability to store season passes on the web so they can be shared with other units or replaced for hard drive swaps

#329 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

Ability to store season passes on the web so they can be shared with other units or replaced for hard drive swaps

Better would be the ability to use a USB flash drive for this as well as all other setup info for drive / unit swaps.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#330 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,722 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:53 AM

We've got this one on the list already:

OPTION to backup your HR20 settings and/or SERIES LINKS via network or USB drive.

Once D* gets web scheduling going, it would be cool if we could back up our passes/prefs in a web account. /steve
/steve

#331 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:52 PM

I know this is way to late for the soon upcoming CE (tonight), but when watching HD baseball on chs. 730 or 731, often the interactive popup box (at the bottom of the screen) sticks on the screen and doesn't go away by itself. This is the blue box that tells you to hit the RED button for interactive features at any time.

I don't have NFL Sunday Ticket of their NFL Superfan, but this same pop up menu for interactive features may also stick for this programming as well.

What about an option in the HR20 to be able to turn off these interactive pop up messages for sports packages? Mine sticks on the screen maybe 25% of the time for at least 10 minutes until I hit EXIT to get it to go away. If you are not in the same room as the TV, this thing could stay on the screen indefinitely.

1. Do others have this problem with their interactive pop up box?

2. Anyone else think this option has merit in a future CE update?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#332 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,936 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:48 PM

I know it's already on the list, but i just wish my network logoffs wouldn't pop up.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#333 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,722 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:07 AM

I know this is way to late for the soon upcoming CE (tonight), but when watching HD baseball on chs. 730 or 731, often the interactive popup box (at the bottom of the screen) sticks on the screen and doesn't go away by itself. This is the blue box that tells you to hit the RED button for interactive features at any time.

I don't have NFL Sunday Ticket of their NFL Superfan, but this same pop up menu for interactive features may also stick for this programming as well.

What about an option in the HR20 to be able to turn off these interactive pop up messages for sports packages? Mine sticks on the screen maybe 25% of the time for at least 10 minutes until I hit EXIT to get it to go away. If you are not in the same room as the TV, this thing could stay on the screen indefinitely.

1. Do others have this problem with their interactive pop up box?

2. Anyone else think this option has merit in a future CE update?

Sorry to say I can't comment on this, since I don't subscribe to either package. Based on your description, thankfully you can use EXIT to clear the offending pop-up, so at least there's a work-around for the time-being that doesn't seem too onerous. I understand why having to do it all the time might be annoying, however. /steve
/steve

#334 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,722 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

I know it's already on the list, but i just wish my network logoffs wouldn't pop up.

To that point, I've reworded that suggestion to say "network" instead of "VIIV" notifications, in case folks don't know what VIIV is, before they vote. /steve

OPTION to disable/enable Caller ID & network notifications separately.
/steve

#335 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

I rarely if ever see the network logoffs since my computer is running pretty much all of the time :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#336 OFFLINE   kenn157

kenn157

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

me too!
With DirecTV since 1994
DirecTV HR20-700(2), HR21-100, HR23-700. Sony STR-DA5300ES, Panasonic TH-58PZ800U, Panasonic TH-46PZ85U, Sony PS3(2), Sony BDP-S550(2), Sony KDL40V2500 40" BRAVIA 1080p LCD HDTV, Bose 6.1

#337 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,722 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:37 PM

I rarely if ever see the network logoffs since my computer is running pretty much all of the time :)

Same here. I've got one desktop server that's on constantly when we're at home. I suspect many homes may be "laptop" only these days, however, so if someone is serving off one and then decides to move it, or just close the cover, I can understand the on-screen notifications being a real PITA.

D* really should consider separating the notifications, IMO. /steve
/steve

#338 OFFLINE   jjeffreydd

jjeffreydd

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

How about adding a feature on receipt of the caller id message to add a third option which is "Pause current program".

Seems like it is one of the likely next steps...

#339 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:38 AM

How about adding a feature on receipt of the caller id message to add a third option which is "Pause current program".

Seems like it is one of the likely next steps...

I don't use the callerID feature, but this seems like a no-brainer to me. :up:

#340 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,722 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

I don't use the callerID feature, but this seems like a no-brainer to me. :up:

I'm sure it's do-able, but that would be one more click than simply hitting PAUSE, woudn't it? Probably be better to let D* focus on requests that save more steps. Just my .02. That being said, I defer to the majority if others see more value in this one than me. That's why we sometimes use POLLS. :) /steve
/steve

#341 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

I'm sure it's do-able, but that would be one more click than simply hitting PAUSE, woudn't it? Probably be better to let D* focus on requests that save more steps. Just my .02. That being said, I defer to the majority if others see more value in this one than me. That's why we sometimes use POLLS. :) /steve

Well, since I don't use the feature I don't know how it works, what the UI is or what buttons need to be pressed for it. Just seemed natural to pause the current program if you want to take the call.

#342 OFFLINE   Zym3r

Zym3r

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

Lucky13,

THANK YOU FOR REQUESTING THIS (again) - it's identical to this post (below) I made in March, but it was voted off the list. Hopefully, yours does better than mine - I didn't like the way the feature explanation was compressed either. Gotta go vote for you now!

Currently, there is no action associated with pressing the up or down cursor when there is no menu or guide active (user is just watching TV). Hughes receiver customers have enjoyed having those buttons instantly activate the "OneLine Guide" - now called the Mini Guide (currently activated with the blue button).

Pushing the blue button shows you what is on the current channel.

When pressing "cursor up", the Mini Guide should pop up and display the single-line guide data for the next active channel numbered lower than the current channel.

When pressing "cursor down", the Mini Guide should pop up and display the single-line guide data for the next active channel numbered higher than the current channel.

As I've said, those keys are currently *unused* during TV watching, so there's really no reason not to enable this simple, enhanced guide-browsing functionality.

Thanks again, fellas!

~Zym3r

#343 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,722 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

THANK YOU FOR REQUESTING THIS (again) - it's identical to this post (below) I made in March, but it was voted off the list.

The current request we are talking about is:

OPTION to launch the mini-guide by pressing the UP or DOWN arrow.

Hopefully, yours does better than mine - I didn't like the way the feature explanation was compressed either.

If you continue to read on, Lucky13 OK'd this wording. It seems pretty intuitive to me. The way I imagine D* would implement this request would be: first click of the UP or DOWN ARROW displays the current channel (as the BLUE BUTTON does now), and subsequent clicks will move up or down the GUIDE.

Seems to me that if you want to transfer any MINI-GUIDE functionality to the UP/DOWN ARROWS at all, why do you need to involve a third (BLUE) button? Keeping it involved would mean that if you want to see what's on next on another channel, use the arrows, but if you want to see what's on next on the current channel, use the BLUE button. Not very intuitive user interface design, IMO.

Plus, it might free up the BLUE BUTTON for other things if D* decided to make this a permanent change, rather than an OPTION. Just my .02. /steve
/steve

#344 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,208 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

If you continue to read on, Lucky13 OK'd this wording. It seems pretty intuitive to me. The way I imagine D* would implement this request would be: first click of the UP or DOWN ARROW displays the current channel (as the BLUE BUTTON does now), and subsequent clicks will move up or down the GUIDE.

Seems to me that if you want to transfer any MINI-GUIDE functionality to the UP/DOWN ARROWS at all, why do you need to involve a third (BLUE) button? Keeping it involved would mean that if you want to see what's on next on another channel, use the arrows, but if you want to see what's on next on the current channel, use the BLUE button. Not very intuitive user interface design, IMO.

Plus, it might free up the BLUE BUTTON for other things if D* decided to make this a permanent change, rather than an OPTION. Just my .02. /steve

The discussion about using UP/DOWN for the mini-guide gave me an idea: Instead of adding two more ways to bring up the mini-guide, why not use UP and DOWN for shortcuts for features that currently don't have shortcuts or quick ways to get to them?

Examples:

Set UP to be a shortcut to Channel 1000 (DOD) and DOWN to be a shortcut to the VOD QUEUE.

Or set UP to be a shortcut to Closed Captioning and DOWN to be a shortcut to the TO DO LIST.

Or ... what hopefully will be a universally loved idea (:P), how about letting the user pick from a list of features to assign their OWN shortcuts to the UP and DOWN keys? These user shortcuts would be operational only when watching a playlist recording or watching LIVE TV, and for any onscreen graphic that popped up over live TV or playback (like the quick menu or the mini-guide), the up/down arrow functionality would temporarily revert to navigation keys while that feature was in use.

My cell phone has a feature that lets me customize the UP key. By default it's assigned to display the calendar, but I can reassign the UP key to launch the alarm clock, the calculator, etc.

For example, let's say I set UP as a shortcut to launch DOD, and DOWN to go to Closed Captioning. Users could do whatever they wanted ... pick any two features, and assign them to UP and DOWN. If I'm watching live TV and hit DOWN, CC appears. If I'm watching live TV and hit BLUE (mini-guide), the arrow functionality for the min-guide takes precedence, so temporarily UP/DOWN act as navigation keys again. Just like the quick menu ...

How cool would that be to able to customize the UP/DOWN arrows during playback and live TV? :)

To expand on this a little bit, how easy would it be to customize this? The first time a user presses the navigation UP or DOWN key in live TV or playback, a pop-up message appears: You may assign a shortcut to this key. Would you like to do that now? [Yes] [No] [Don't ask me again]. Answer YES, and you are taken to a Setup screen to pick options for UP and DOWN.

I want this!

#345 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

I say yes.
Then make the blue button VOD and the yellow To Do.

#346 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,208 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

I say yes.
Then make the blue button VOD and the yellow To Do.

It's currently two clicks to get to the TO DO list: LIST + YELLOW.

It's currently two clicks to get to the previous channel in the mini-guide: BLUE + UP.

(And it's currently two clicks to get to the next channel in the mini-guide: BLUE + DOWN.)

In live TV and playback, YELLOW toggles audio options, so this key already has a use.

#347 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

In live TV and playback, YELLOW toggles audio options, so this key already has a use.

Learn something new every day.

#348 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,208 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

Learn something new every day.

It's not very apparent, because you need to be on a channel that has secondary audio. If you are on one of those channels with alternate audio, you'll see a YELLOW circle in the INFO pane. Otherwise you just see the BLUE circle there for the mini-guide ...

#349 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,722 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:18 AM

One new item has been added to the Wish List, a comprehensive SEARCH/AUTORECORD proposal. This new suggestion ties together many ideas that were previously on the list, so it is worded in such a way that while we would like the "full meal", D* might also serve it to us "a la carte":

"Implement SEARCH and AUTORECORD as described here, or key concepts contained within: Top-level CATEGORY search, TITLE AUTORECORD, multiple keywords, wildcards, BOOLEAN logic, CHANNEL filters and REMOTE keypad shortcuts: [...]"

This suggestion's entire proposal and related POLL may be found here.

These items were removed from the list to make way for this suggestion:
  • Search for “just what you want to watch” by allowing SEARCHES or AUTORECORDS to be filtered by CUSTOM channel lists. HR20 manual, p.31.
  • An AUTORECORD option for TITLE searches, as described in the manual on pp.20 & 31.
  • Add an INSERT function to SEARCH term input, and assign CLR|SPC|INS|DEL shortcuts to the R|G|Y|B remote buttons.
  • SEARCH/AUTORECORD should allow the use of multiple keywords, wildcards and BOOLEAN (AND/OR/NOT) logic.
  • Add "CATEGORY" as a new top-level search type on the SEARCH Menu.
  • When inputting SEARCH terms, OPTION to use REW as backspace, FF as space, and STOP as clear.

Please be sure to update your Wish List survey and let D* know how you feel about this suggestion. TIA. /steve
/steve

#350 OFFLINE   jgrade

jgrade

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:08 AM

This is a long thread so sorry if this is a repeat.

Would love to see a feature I used to have on my Dish DVR. While in the guide, the currently highlighted program would auto fill the search screen so I could instantly search without having to enter the data. Last night I came in on the middle of Scrooged, so I wanted to search for the next times it was showing so I could record. It would be nice to press "search" (should be a hard button like red etc) and the search criteria would be filled in as Scrooged automatically.
A flute without holes, is not a flute. A doughnut without a hole, is a danish.

Samsung HL-S7478W
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony STR-DA3300ES

Protected By... spam firewall...And...