Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#261 ONLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

not sure how VOD is going to work but it would be cool if you could have a personal VOD.

Example: Mark a series like 24, Prison Break, etc and you can download to any receiver any episode of the current season.

That way you can rewatch episodes or watch it on a receiver you didn't set it to record.
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#262 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:06 PM

A couple of posters came up with an interesting concept in my "Time Re-Organize the Channel Line-Up?" poll. It led me to think about this as a possible future WISH LIST item:

"Ability to specify the scan/GUIDE order of channels in a CUSTOM channel list."

Perhaps we could re-order channels in our CUSTOM lists the same way Series Links are moved up and down in the PRIORITIZER? Crazy idea?

/steve

WOW!!!
I've been thinking about suggesting this myself. It gets a definite :up: from me
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#263 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

not sure how VOD is going to work but it would be cool if you could have a personal VOD.

Example: Mark a series like 24, Prison Break, etc and you can download to any receiver any episode of the current season.

That way you can rewatch episodes or watch it on a receiver you didn't set it to record.

Since I missed the VOD CE and I'm temporarily on the sidelines, it's hard for me to comment. ITrot started a thread over here that could lead to some future Wish List additions re: VOD, however. If you haven't already posted this idea over there, you might want to. /steve
/steve

#264 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

WOW!!!
I've been thinking about suggesting this myself. It gets a definite :up: from me

Thanks, SS. I love the new avatar, BTW. :) /s
/steve

#265 OFFLINE   ITrot

ITrot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

• Ability to edit all shows in the PRIORITIZER, even when there are none upcoming, page 28.

If this means you should be able to delete in the prioritizer screen with no upcoming shows then this is available with the latest CE software. Hit RED to delete and YELLOW to move selected show to the top.

#266 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

• Ability to edit all shows in the PRIORITIZER, even when there are none upcoming, page 28.

If this means you should be able to delete in the prioritizer screen with no upcoming shows then this is available with the latest CE software. Hit RED to delete and YELLOW to move selected show to the top.

Very cool. I was looking forward to seeing what PRIORITIZER changes were made when I d/l tonight's CE, since I missed the last one. I believe this request was directed at the ability to edit the Series Link (Keep at Most, First run/repeats, etc.) when there were no upcoming shows scheduled. Can you also do that now?

BTW, I'm going to ask a MOD to move this discussion over to the main WISH LIST thread. /steve
/steve

#267 OFFLINE   Mike__P

Mike__P

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

Well new HR20 convert from the HR10 and I have a couple of wishlist ideas:

1) have a menu setting or backdoor to auto clear the progress bar.

2) Add the ability to modify the duration (+ or -) of the Slip (advance) in 5 second increments. This is especially true for MPEG-4 recordings where the 30 second slip is actually 35.

#268 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Well new HR20 convert from the HR10 and I have a couple of wishlist ideas:

1) have a menu setting or backdoor to auto clear the progress bar.

Welcome to the club, Mike! Can you be more specific on this one? Sounds like the current 4 second auto-clear is not working for you. One of my pet peeves is that the bar doesn't immediately clear when you hit "PLAY". It's annoying as heck that I have to watch it for 4 seconds after the program has resumed.

2) Add the ability to modify the duration (+ or -) of the Slip (advance) in 5 second increments. This is especially true for MPEG-4 recordings where the 30 second slip is actually 35.

I'm with you on this one, but it's not just an MPEG-4 problem. A few of us have measured a similar ADVANCE timing error on the MPEG-2 HDNet Test Pattern as well. I've been reporting it as a bug, rather than a WISH LIST item. It's not the first ADVANCE that's off. That one is a true 30 seconds. It's the "stacked" ADVANCES that get prolonged by the time it takes for them to execute. Those need to be reduced to 25 seconds, while the first one should remain untouched, IMO.

/steve
/steve

#269 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

Welcome to the club, Mike! Can you be more specific on this one? Sounds like the current 4 second auto-clear is not working for you. One of my pet peeves is that the bar doesn't immediately clear when you hit "PLAY". It's annoying as heck that I have to watch it for 4 seconds after the program has resumed.

EXIT clears it immediately.

#270 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

Thanks, SS. I love the new avatar, BTW. :) /s

thx.

#271 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:38 PM

EXIT clears it immediately.

Ya, but why the need to hit an extra button once you've hit PLAY? (How's that for being lazy! :)) Actually, sometimes my wife has the remote, and she still struggles with some of the basic functions.

I wouldn't mind seeing an item like this go on the list, if no one objects to it:

"PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately after pressing PLAY to exit from any cruise control function."

/steve
/steve

#272 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

Ya, but why the need to hit an extra button once you've hit PLAY? (How's that for being lazy! :)) Actually, sometimes my wife has the remote, and she still struggles with some of the basic functions.

I wouldn't mind seeing an item like this go on the list, if no one objects to it:

"PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately after pressing PLAY to exit from any cruise control function."

/steve

Pressing play a second time also gets rid of it.
To be honest this doesn't get my shorts in a wad.

Personally I'd like to see a significantly trimmed down progress bar. For starters there is no need for the HUGE D logo. What is this for - in case i forgot and thought it was cable? :)

#273 OFFLINE   Mike__P

Mike__P

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

I'm with you on this one, but it's not just an MPEG-4 problem. A few of us have measured a similar ADVANCE timing error on the MPEG-2 HDNet Test Pattern as well. I've been reporting it as a bug, rather than a WISH LIST item. It's not the first ADVANCE that's off. That one is a true 30 seconds. It's the "stacked" ADVANCES that get prolonged by the time it takes for them to execute. Those need to be reduced to 25 seconds, while the first one should remain untouched, IMO.

/steve

Thanks for the welcome Steve. You do a great job managing the Wishlist. I am more of a reader than poster, and have been reading for several weeks until I got the HR20.

To clarify my ideas

1) I was mostly referring to the Slip function and the fact that the progress bar stays persistent. But I also see the benefit of having it auto clear in other Cruise modes.

2) I would like it if they not only fixed the subsequent slips so they were all consistent, but also added the ablility to adjust the length. I still think MPEG-4 goes 35 on the first slip, but I will have to test more recordings to be sure.

#274 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

2) I would like it if they not only fixed the subsequent slips so they were all consistent, but also added the ablility to adjust the length. I still think MPEG-4 goes 35 on the first slip, but I will have to test more recordings to be sure.

Thanks, Mike. This is V3 of the Wish List. The V2 Wish List had a request for "User Configurable ADVANCE time", but apparently it was not enthusiastically received and was relegated to the "back burner". When I built the new list, I didn't reinstate many of the less popular ideas because the list was already pretty long, and I wanted to keep the time it takes to complete the Survey as reasonable as possible.

I keep reporting the stacked ADVANCE timing problem in the relevant "issues" thread for whatever s/w release I'm testing, because 6 stacked ADVANCES runs about 3:22 instead of 3:00, so to me, that's a bug! Unfortunately, my constant reporting hasn't done much good to date! :)

Maybe at some point we will have to make a Wish List item out of it. In the meantime, I plan on timing ADVANCE again later tonite or tomorrow morning, after this CE downloads. I'll continue to report any negative findings in the issues thread and hope that if enough others complain, D* will move it up in priority. /s
/steve

#275 OFFLINE   elove

elove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

My wish list would be:

1) Dual Line Buffers
2) 100 HR HD capacity.

Could the 100 HR HD capacity be handled by a firmware upgrade or would this require a hardware upgrade?

#276 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:54 AM

My wish list would be:

1) Dual Line Buffers
2) 100 HR HD capacity.

Could the 100 HR HD capacity be handled by a firmware upgrade or would this require a hardware upgrade?

Welcome, elove. DLB's are on the current WISH LIST, so if you haven't already, please take the survey and let D* know how you value each request.

Increased HD recording capacity is already a reality. Check out this thread for details.

/steve
/steve

#277 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

My wish list would be:

1) Dual Line Buffers
2) 100 HR HD capacity.

#2 - get an external esata drive/array.

#278 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

In the 0x190 CE, D* added "long channel names" to SEARCH BY CHANNEL. Instead of just showing "DTV - 201", e.g., it now shows "DTV - Customer Service Channel - 201".

IMHO, D* should also display these "long channel names" on the CHANNELS I GET and CUSTOM channel setup lists. I often forget what the channel acronyms mean when trying to edit a CUSTOM channel list, and many channels (like DTV) use the same acronym for different channels.

"Display LONG CHANNEL NAMES when viewing or editing channels on the CHANNELS I GET or CUSTOM channel lists."

/steve
/steve

#279 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

The current way previous channel is used, you can switch between a recorded program and a live tuner. What's cool about this is that it automatically pauses the recorded program when you switch to the live tuner, so if you use previous channel again it picks up where you left off on the recorded program. However, the live tuner doesn't pause when you switch back using previous channel (and if you pause the live show, you lose the pause when you come back to the live tuner).

Now if you select a recorded show, then go back to the list and select another recorded show, previous channel doesn't flip between these recorded shows, but between the last recorded show you played and the live tuner.

In leiu of DLB, it would be sweet if you could select a recorded show from your list, and then go back to the list and select a different recorded show, and then use previous channel to switch between them while pausing each time you press previous channel. This would allow you to pause and easily switch between two shows currently recording.

At a minimum it would be nice if you could pause the live tuner and it woud save the location of the pause, so I could switch between a currently recording show and the live tuner using previous channel. Seems like this would be pretty easy to implement and would be very similar to DLB.

Comments??
Receiving Equipment: SL5-SWM LNB, SWM Multiswitch, OTA via Attic Antenna
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV
Living Room: HR24-100 | Sony 47" LCD HDTV
Computer/Network: Windows 7 | Buffalo Nfiniti | 7M/896k DSL

#280 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

I agree, this would be a great help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...